News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Bacsanyi

https://www.turfnet.com/news.html/becoming-a-superintendent-was-always-in-the-cards-for-ledgerocks-fitzgerald-r1589/

Was going to post this in the "Greens vs. Bunkers" thread, but decided it deserves it's very own thread. Good stuff.

Seems you have similar elevation change challenges in PA as we have here in the Rocky Mountains, so spill it. Is the hill mentioned 4500 Hill, 3500 Hill, or something else?

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Jeff Schley

Re: Gone Hollywood: TurfNet article on our very own Alan FitzGerald!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 02:43:22 PM »
Alan what a nice story you had in your journey to be where you are today. Your course seems to be unique in it's elevation changes and I'm sure they are lucky to have you and your experience.

What exactly was the 2 year Penn State program? Was it an associates degree in what exactly?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 03:39:17 PM »
Penn State is big time in Turf Management too:

https://plantscience.psu.edu/undergraduate/additional-programs/golf
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »

https://www.turfnet.com/news.html/becoming-a-superintendent-was-always-in-the-cards-for-ledgerocks-fitzgerald-r1589/

Was going to post this in the "Greens vs. Bunkers" thread, but decided it deserves it's very own thread. Good stuff.

Seems you have similar elevation change challenges in PA as we have here in the Rocky Mountains, so spill it. Is the hill mentioned 4500 Hill, 3500 Hill, or something else?

Tom - thanks for posting....

I'm guessing you mean the type of mower/ the hill name. Its actually the 5410 Hill, as it's awd system was the only at the time that could maintain traction on it. The engineers never thought a 5410 would have to mow a fairway that steep so they were concerned about it operating on the slope. I don't remember what the angle is, but as it was a few degrees inside the design spec, they were pretty proud it worked at its limits!

The steepness of the hill may sound weird but Rees likes the player to see the landing area if at all possible, so the top of the hill is the furthest horizon to hit to from the tee. If you hit long, it will run over and stop before the wetland/creek but you can see where it went before it dropped. I remember asking why couldn't we do the hill in rough and was asked if I'd like to hit from the downslope to the uphill green if my ball lodged - so it remained bentgrass! Ideally if the wetland could have been removed, the landing point would have been further ahead, so the hill would not have been unnecessary. There are a few similar areas around the course and while purposeful, they are also a fun quirk.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 10:19:30 AM by Alan FitzGerald MG »
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 10:17:19 AM »
Alan what a nice story you had in your journey to be where you are today. Your course seems to be unique in it's elevation changes and I'm sure they are lucky to have you and your experience.

What exactly was the 2 year Penn State program? Was it an associates degree in what exactly?

Thanks Jeff,

Steve's link is the exact program. It will be up for debate but it is one of the oldest and best turf programs in the world and a lot of the country's top superintendents have come from it. I also have one from OSU (I keep that quiet in PSU circles) and one from Ireland. They all built on each other. The 2 yr cert at PSU is dedicated solely to turf management. I remember comparing notes with the 4 years guys there and the 2 yr turf classes were a lot more in-depth as the expectation was if you were in the program, it meant that you already knew the basics.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 12:31:56 PM »

I'm guessing you mean the type of mower/ the hill name. Its actually the 5410 Hill, as it's awd system was the only at the time that could maintain traction on it. The engineers never thought a 5410 would have to mow a fairway that steep so they were concerned about it operating on the slope. I don't remember what the angle is, but as it was a few degrees inside the design spec, they were pretty proud it worked at its limits!

The steepness of the hill may sound weird but Rees likes the player to see the landing area if at all possible, so the top of the hill is the furthest horizon to hit to from the tee. If you hit long, it will run over and stop before the wetland/creek but you can see where it went before it dropped. I remember asking why couldn't we do the hill in rough and was asked if I'd like to hit from the downslope to the uphill green if my ball lodged - so it remained bentgrass! Ideally if the wetland could have been removed, the landing point would have been further ahead, so the hill would not have been unnecessary. There are a few similar areas around the course and while purposeful, they are also a fun quirk.

Ah, I assumed it was rough. Do you get those mohawk gaps in between the reels and have to go over it a couple times? Our 5410s don't do a great job on any sort of fairway hillside.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 06:47:13 AM »

Ah, I assumed it was rough. Do you get those mohawk gaps in between the reels and have to go over it a couple times? Our 5410s don't do a great job on any sort of fairway hillside.

Most people would!! It's always fun when you're giving someone a tour on their first visit and drive over the top of it with a cart (the center is less steep) and hear their sigh of relief at the bottom ;D

[/size]Tom, I don't recall ever having issues with mohawks with the 5410s. However, we got a 3550 this year for approaches and it leaves strips from time to time on the steeper approaches, but locking the cutting units from turning really helped. [size=78%]

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 09:06:08 AM »
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back