News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Jaunty JCB G&CC
« on: August 12, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »
Joseph Cyril Bamford founded JCB in 1945 with a can-do spirit. Today, there are 22 global factories manufacturing over 300 types of machinery. The company is successful enough that in the UK, the company name is used as a generic term for excavators and diggers.  I once knew a golfer who took such prodigious divots with his 5 wood that he was called JCB! Given the scale of the company, it isn’t surprising that Lord Bamford’s vision for his new course was ambitious.  To execute the plan, JCB engaged European Golf Design’s Robin Hiseman.

Having known Robin for many years, I may be slightly biased. Be that as it may, after countless conversations and games of golf over several years, it is abundantly clear that Robin is an exceptional person.  Several attributes come to mind which could be used to describe Robin. He is knowledgeable, affable, patient, keen eyed and after nearly 30 years in the golf design business, Robin remains hungry to not only design courses, but seek out new golfing adventures. Knowing Robin's inspirations for this job were the World Atlas of Golf, Tobacco Road, Oakmont and Crystal Downs left me in no doubt that something memorable was in the works with him at the helm of JCB G&CC. 

The course covers a 240-acre property near JCB’s main manufacturing site in Staffordshire. The mandate called for an adventurous and sophisticated design which could test elite golfers. While attractive and loaded with elevation changes, the site is clay based. As such, the design required extensive construction (~650,000 cubic meters of earth were shifted!) to blend the man-made and natural elements into a cohesive and playable course. This design approach, when combined with the necessary space to host top level golfers means the walk is difficult, but not undoable. In truth, if the ruined Woodseat Hall was the clubhouse as was contemplated, two significant road-bound walks would be eliminated.

Onto the 1st hole where no punches are pulled. Playing over water to a raised green, JCB's opener is quite secluded from the remainder of the course. Incidentally, this hole required perhaps more earth moving than any other hole for the project. The tee markers are a firm reminder of JCB.

While generally not an issue, I wonder why the trees on the right were not taken down. I much prefer full sightlines to bunkers. The mantra on this approach is to keep the ball between yourself and the hole.

The layout reminds me quite a bit of a Gertrude Jekyll designed manor house garden. Large gardens offer the advantage of creating "garden rooms".  One gets the sense of entering different garden rooms at JCB. With the exception of the approach to the 3rd green, holes 2-4 are very open and inviting. #2 tee shot.

Many of the greens are very creative without being oppressive. In some cases, experience playing the course can be advantageous when it comes to setting up approaches and putting. Below is the approach to the very difficult front hole location hanging just over a dip.

A seamless transition from the second green to the back tee of #3 is a welcome touch. A par 5, the third is about a 75 degree dogleg left. One can go over the bunkers which are deceptively further away than appearances suggest.

Looking down the fairway, it did strike me that blind danger was about.

I didn't properly appreciate the narrow target until well up the fairway. The water is a restored section of an old canal.

The opening four holes twist and turn enough to disguise the fact that the 4th runs parallel in the same direction as the 2nd! I am sure hole construction also aided this cause. We can play for the left side of the 4th fairway, but the (often blind) approach to this diabolical hole location remains troublesome. I am not keen on the mound top tree plantings on this hole and the odd place or two elsewhere.

Bamboozled Boony.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:33:32 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Marty Bonnar

Re: Jaunty JCB G&CC: 1-4
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 11:52:49 AM »
Rob should be very deeply honoured that you've compared him with Jekyll. I see exactly what you mean by the 'garden room' thought. It just needs a rill here or there, a herbaceous border or two - and maybe a Lutyens house!
His eye for an architectural detail is beyond belief. Good training, combined with talent and experience are very obvious here.
Mine's a pint at BUDA, Rob...  ;D
Seriously though, well done!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 06:33:26 AM »
Sean

I was wondering which alliteration you would use. 'J' doesn't give you much choice!

Glad to see JCB getting the Arble analysis. You know that I rate your opinion, so will be taking a keen interest in your review, even if this isn't the kind of course that typically finds favour in this particular treehouse.

Let me throw in a couple of comments based on your first four holes.

I should point out that the photo towards the 1st green is taken from the extreme right edge of a fairway that is 70 yards wide, so for the great majority of the fairway both the green and the bunkering is unobscured. I retained the trees for their landscape composition benefits, in my view. I could see a nice 'left-right-left' arrangement to the major tree groups that led the eye nicely towards the green. There are a couple of stately Alders and decorative birch species, with a particularly nice bark.

The 3rd is a sharp dogleg, but it is only a 70 degree turn, not 100. I've never and doubt I would ever design a dogleg that went beyond a right angle and started playing back on itself. I've played one or two though. The water to the right of the green is a restored section of the 18th Century Uttoxeter Canal, which last saw a boat in the mid 1800's. The lake on Hole 1 is a continuation of the same canal. The water that you cross with the approach to the 1st is a 'Winding Hole', which is where the long narrowboats could be turned around with the help of the wind. It was replaced by the railway which was built on its towpath. The railway closed as part of the Beeching cuts in the 1960's. Our cart path, on the other side of the canal, runs on the former track bed.

The 4th is a breather hole, after an exciting opening three. No bunkers here, but partially inspired by one of my favourite bunkerless holes, the 2nd at Huntercombe, combined with one of my favourite greens, the 4th at Huntercombe, albeit in reverse. Not a slavish copy, but I think we've captured the dramatic right to left feed onto the green that I love so much at Huntercombe. Not so much help with the hole location we had, but it's a different story with the hole on the much larger lower section down to the left.
2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 11:29:01 AM »
The greens look fascinating and fun and so far the bunkers look fascinating. It does seem that there will be a lot of handwork in maintaining in them, however.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 05:22:51 AM »
Sean

I was wondering which alliteration you would use. 'J' doesn't give you much choice!

Glad to see JCB getting the Arble analysis. You know that I rate your opinion, so will be taking a keen interest in your review, even if this isn't the kind of course that typically finds favour in this particular treehouse.

The 3rd is a sharp dogleg, but it is only a 70 degree turn, not 100.

Doc

Sorry, I mixed up the degree of the dogleg, meant to say a dogleg less than 90, maybe 75. You must have typed your comment when I was editing my comment  8) .

JCB Tour Cont

A downhill short hole, the 5th has different teeing areas which alter the angle without changing the length very much...a design approach I favour.  Despite the presence of trees the wind still whips up.

Playing fairly long into the wind and uphill, the par 5 sixth is quite the challenge. I took to this hole perhaps because of its severity.

Short grass loops around the punched up green.

Behind the green.

It is obvious the architect spent a great deal of energy to make the course aesthetically pleasing. Its a great shame then that cart paths mar the setting to some degree. Beyond that, to my eye the round teeing areas don't fit.  However, these quibbles don't alter the quality of the hole.  As is the case for much of the round, the bite of the design is at the green end. IMO, the greens are the star of the show. The club should be commended for keeping the cut heights reasonable so the greens can be completely enjoyed. The 7th below.

At this point in the round, while stood in the halfway house, a trolley legged it for the pond. A member of the 4ball failed to brake the trolley and thus heroics from Boony and Doc saved the day. Whatever else may have happened, the day was a success  :D .

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:36:26 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Garland Bayley

Re: Jaunty JCB G&CC: 1-Sheenanigans
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 04:51:10 PM »
good thing you guys don't use buggies
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 06:56:29 PM »
Sean,

This is your greatest post, because you have the "street cred" to post it. I will NEVER play this course.  :D

Please put me on your Saint Patrick's list, please....
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 07:00:35 PM »
Sean, the course appears to be an amalgamation of English and US golf.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 08:17:39 AM »
Sean,

This is your greatest post, because you have the "street cred" to post it. I will NEVER play this course.  :D

Please put me on your Saint Patrick's list, please....

Sweeney

If you get an invite, I encourage you to play JCB.

Tommy

Yes, JCB does feel a bit like it straddles English and US course styles.

JCB TOUR CONT

With the sheenanigans over, we enter a more wooded section of the course for 8 & 9. Quite a tight, uphill drive, its easy to be left with a blind approach. One of my favourite green locations on the course, the 8th green sits on a rise...reminds me a ton of Ross holes.

Yet another interesting green!  I appreciate that sharp, short grass run-offs don't completely surround the green. The approach and green are difficult as is. Many of the greens are presented this way which may be a bit unusual for a new design. In JCB's case, it is a welcome departure from the norm.

Rear right of green.

A handsome short hole, however, I do wonder about the trees on the left on 9. They seem to compromise a great set piece.

Walking to the 10th, we get a glimpse of Woodseat Hall ruin. This seems like a great place for the house to be located.

Perhaps my favourite hole, the par 5 tenth features a sharp angle dog leg off the tee then straightens for most of the hole. The tee shot is a bit obscured, but there is plenty of room to open the shoulders and even cut the corner (out of picture left).

The second shot asks some questions!

The green has a Redanish feel to it. The rear of the putting surface retreats severely away from the fairway. It was at this point in the round that I fully appreciated the drainage.  I happened to go off plan to the left and experienced the muddy clay conditions.  There is no hint of such conditions within the playing corridors.

A longish walk takes us back to the scene of the sheenanigans for the tricky 11th. The hole features another strong legger with a bunker on the corner and more trouble in the guise of fairway shaping and sand on the far side of the fairway.  The approach over water requires serious accuracy. Another of my favourites!

More to follow.

Ciao

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:38:54 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Jaunty JCB G&CC: 1-11
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 05:11:28 AM »
JCB Tour Cont

Another short two-shotter, the 12th plays downhill.

A par 5 from daily tees, the 13th is the third hole over 600 yards from the championship tees. We chose to play the tees planned to be used for the Rose Ladies Series.  At 440ish yards this hole remains formidable. The narrow fairway plays left of blind water. While the hazard can't be seen, it is obvious from the tee that there is some sort of trouble on this line. The light began fading at this point in the round!

The normal par 5 tee.

The approach is a tough target which must cope with a water carry unless one hits an extremely deep tee shot. Interesting shaping shy of the green. It looks as though a bunker could be there, but thankfully the archie took pity on us poor hackers.

Another terrific hole, the short 14th plays uphill to a provocative green.

A challenging tee shot awaits on 15; JCB demands golfers to be switched on for the entire round.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:33:55 AM by Sean_A »

Robin_Hiseman

Re: Jaunty JCB G&CC: 1-15
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 05:28:01 AM »
Sean:

As it happened, they didn't use that tee on 13 for the Rose Series. They chose instead to play the 6th as a Par 4 from the green tee. I'm not convinced it was the right call. They played 13 as a Par 5 from the Yellow Tee.
2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 08:03:00 AM »
JCB Tour Cont

A bit of a fiddly hole, the 16th fairway abruptly ends, essentially creating a forced lay-up for many golfers. I prefer if some trees on the right were removed to open up a view of the green.

Perhaps the highlight hole, the short, drop shot 17th plays to an island green.  However, the island is probably close to 3 times the size needed for the green. This size somehow makes the hole less intimidating . One of the best features of JCB is the beach bunker short right of the green.  This is one of the few times I have seen a bunker next to water that didn't look incongruous.  Like most of the greens, this one is also compelling. There are sort of four quadrants set on a slope from rear left to front right. I can imagine most hole locations will be challenging.

A closer look.

The 18th tee is set on the island making this a monster finishing hole. We played the forward tee which is significantly easier, but not without merit given the centreline bunkers creating a high-low split fairway. One can choose which side of the fairway to play depending on the hole location.

I have to say JCB impressed me greatly.  Matching hole for hole, I haven't seen a GB&I modern inland course which is in its class. If the right tees are chosen, the course offers the golfer loads of variety in terms of hole lengths, green styles/locations & terrain. I could quite happily play a mix of yellow (6599 yards) and blue (5630 yards) tees. The major drawback of the design is the walk. Given the property and desire to host golfing abilities from touring pro to rank handicappers, while not desirable, the tough walk is understandable.  Regardless, with so many positive attributes, an invitation to play JCB should not be turned down.  1*  2021

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:36:04 AM by Sean_A »

Mark Pearce

Re: Jaunty JCB G&CC
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 03:54:58 AM »
Sean,

Have you played Close House?  For me, comfortably the best modern UK inland course I have played.  Doubt I'll ever get to play JCB given the private nature of the place.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 04:41:41 AM »
Sean,

Have you played Close House?  For me, comfortably the best modern UK inland course I have played.  Doubt I'll ever get to play JCB given the private nature of the place.

I've seen both. IMO JCB is in a different league to Close House (which I like very much).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 12:21:01 PM »
  This is one of the few times I have seen a bunker next to water that didn't look incongruous. 

Congrats to Robin, those I've met who've played are full of enthusiastic praise.  I'm dying to play it.

But (judging on the photo's alone) I can't help thinking I'm not at all keen on the look of those white sand bunkers with the clean cut frilly edges.  They just don't feel right for Staffordshire?   I do like the idea of the bunker bleeding into the water. Where I've seen this on lakes and river banks its typically caused by animals coming down for a drink, often there is a step down where the land has 'broken' and then there's 'the beach'.

Would make a great BUDA combined with Cannock.  Just sayin!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 03:42:44 AM »
  This is one of the few times I have seen a bunker next to water that didn't look incongruous. 

Congrats to Robin, those I've met who've played are full of enthusiastic praise.  I'm dying to play it.

But (judging on the photo's alone) I can't help thinking I'm not at all keen on the look of those white sand bunkers with the clean cut frilly edges.  They just don't feel right for Staffordshire?   I do like the idea of the bunker bleeding into the water. Where I've seen this on lakes and river banks its typically caused by animals coming down for a drink, often there is a step down where the land has 'broken' and then there's 'the beach'.

Would make a great BUDA combined with Cannock.  Just sayin!

Spangles

I didn't notice the sand colour nor find the bunker shapes un-Staffordshire like. A lot of the bunkers are quite large and benefit from odd shapes. I was more concerned with niggly trees blocking views and the saplings planted on mound tops. A small concern for sure, but worth noting.

Ciao

John Mayhugh

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 03:03:18 PM »
Sean,
Thanks for this tour. I thought that I had posted a comment on it previously, but guess not. Anyway, some thoughts:

For me, the highlight is the green sites and surrounds. Almost all look very natural, which isn't the case on many modern courses. The variety of shapes and angles promises a lot of interest and variety as hole locations are changed. From what I could see (and your comments) the greens look interesting and not over-done. I really appreciate Robin's use of Huntercombe as inspiration for the 4th.

I was somewhat apprehensive about use of water hazards, but for the most part what I see in pictures looks fine. I don't love the double water carries on the first hole and the island 16th seems out of place on this course (looks like a fine hole, but island greens feel too contrived). I'm a big fan of the use of the canal on the 3rd, though. That's a perfect example of how aesthetically pleasing water hazards can be. For me, they look best either small or the ocean....

Cart paths in the aerial view are much more obvious than in Sean's pics. They seem reasonably well hidden at ground level without using excess shaping to do that. I don't have much concern with the trees that are left in place - assume that the super is committed to maintaining their current size so the impact on shots doesn't increase over time.

Overall, very intrigued with the course. Not sure I'll ever have the chance to see it, but seems like a fine addition to English golf.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 04:35:28 PM »
The par-3 9th from Sean’s photos seems to have quite a passing resemblance to photos I’ve seen of green sites at Pasatiempo.
Now this comment is made purely on viewing photos as I’ve not seen either course with my own eyes so I’d welcome thoughts from those who have seen both from on-site.

Atb

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2021, 05:34:26 PM »

Perhaps the highlight hole, the short, drop shot 17th plays to an island green. 
...... Like most of the greens, this one is also compelling. There are sort of four quadrants set on a slope from rear left to front right. I can imagine most hole locations will be challenging.

An homage to Braid?  He did this a few times, there's an old thread somewhere.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 07:22:51 PM »
Shurely Staffordshire would be an easy drive from Buxton? Just saying… ;D
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2021, 04:04:38 AM »

...... Like most of the greens, this one is also compelling. There are sort of four quadrants set on a slope from rear left to front right. I can imagine most hole locations will be challenging.

Interesting. I haven't seen a Braid green like the 17th.

It's a simple thing, but tilting the green toward the tee I think makes drop shot par 3s more attractive. Possibly the bunkers fit better and thus look more attractive. Its certainly a more welcoming look.

Ciao

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2021, 06:39:22 AM »

I was somewhat apprehensive about use of water hazards, but for the most part what I see in pictures looks fine. I don't love the double water carries on the first hole and the island 16th seems out of place on this course (looks like a fine hole, but island greens feel too contrived). I'm a big fan of the use of the canal on the 3rd, though. That's a perfect example of how aesthetically pleasing water hazards can be. For me, they look best either small or the ocean....

Overall, very intrigued with the course. Not sure I'll ever have the chance to see it, but seems like a fine addition to English golf.

John

Thanks for your comments. Generally, I would agree that an island green is a contrivance when the island is constructed specifically for the purpose. In this instance, it was not and pre-dated the golf course by 50 years. The 17th is a 'found' green site, which only came to be because this island existed in precisely the right spot for me to be able to use it for a golf hole. Clearly, we had to make the narrow island a bit wider to provide a fair target, but it exists solely because the island was already there.

David Jones

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2021, 08:48:41 AM »

John

Thanks for your comments. Generally, I would agree that an island green is a contrivance when the island is constructed specifically for the purpose. In this instance, it was not and pre-dated the golf course by 50 years. The 17th is a 'found' green site, which only came to be because this island existed in precisely the right spot for me to be able to use it for a golf hole. Clearly, we had to make the narrow island a bit wider to provide a fair target, but it exists solely because the island was already there.

The first works really well. Safe to say it is no gentle handshake but it really gets the blood pumping early in the round and is a thrilling hole to play. The good thing is though that there are plenty more to come!

The 17th is spectacular for sure and works well with the main 18th tee just off it for one last carry. It would be fair to say though that it has a slightly different feel to other holes as everything else is really secluded and tranquil and this is a lot more open with the road behind.

It’s a better course for its inclusion though. Am I right in saying you had another routing initially without it Robin?

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2021, 09:16:28 AM »
David:

Yes. The 17th tee would have played to the 18th green. I would have had the alternative hole somewhere in the area of the 13th, which traverses an enormous area for one hole.

It is inevitable that the 17th feels a bit different to the others, as it is the only hole that breaks out into the part of the site close to the busy road (main route to the factory and nearby Alton Towers) and is a dramatic set piece in its own right. JCB has planted a laurel hedge along the road, which will eventually screen the road better, but it wasn't planted very well and a lot of it died with salt spray.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2021, 04:13:41 PM »

Interesting. I haven't seen a Braid green like the 17th.

It's a simple thing, but tilting the green toward the tee I think makes drop shot par 3s more attractive. Possibly the bunkers fit better and thus look more attractive. Its certainly a more welcoming look.

Ciao

Maybe its just the way they are described but you (and Robin)  have played to (uphill) greens with 4 sections.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back