News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

YOK 4 in Rome, Wisconsin (aka Mammoth Dunes)
« on: August 09, 2021, 11:52:06 PM »
This second, full-sized course on property is so difficult to photograph. The width of each hole is so massive that you feel like you cannot miss "it," until you recognize that elements and angles need to be assessed, in order to properly portray the hole. When I began shooting golf courses, I deplored the presence of golfers and carts in my frame of reference. On a course like this one, you need bodies to properly convey the space. This breathtaking golf course plays the same as the previous one (YOK 3) but feels completely different. Enjoy.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 08:35:43 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: YOK 4 in Rome, Wisconsin (aka Mammoth Dunes)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 08:43:52 AM »
I've been fortunate to make two trips to Bandon, Oregon. I've played the off-property Crossings and know what I love about that course (everything) and what I don't love (nothing.) I've played the par-three course once, and all of the big courses at least three times, save Sheep Ranch, which I've not seen in former nor current form. After three tours, I feel confident to indicate what I do and don't love about each of them. And then, when I return for third trip (fingers crossed) I recognize that I've forgotten much about the courses, and have the fun of relearning them. For some reason, the original course is the one that stays with me the least. Perhaps I only recall dramatic holes. I believe that BD has fewer of them than the other courses (not for this thread...start your own!)

That prelude brings you to this caveat: I played this course one time this summer. Every golfer who books a stay at Sand Valley will play the big courses at least twice, as there are just those two for now. Lido is coming, and TCCKASV (the course currently known as Sedge Valley) will arrive after that. Had I played Mammoth Dunes a second or third time, and same with Sand Valley, I would be able to expound more on which is more than the other in this area.

Golf makes course polygamists of us all. We can't have just one love. I love MD for reasons, and I love SV for same/similar/different reasons. Since the resort offers the same buy-one-get-one-half-off-same-day as its sister resort in Oregon, the cost of playing the two big courses is reduced. I encourage you to save your shekels for Sand Valley and make plans to visit it. If you just can't wait, plan for 2022. If you can wait another year, I suspect that Lido will be fully open by then.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt Kardash

Re: YOK 4 in Rome, Wisconsin (aka Mammoth Dunes)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 09:54:59 AM »
I see these photos and think to myself how Mike Strantz was ahead of his time.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back