News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Buck Wolter

Redfeather Golf and Social Club --Lubbock TX
« on: July 25, 2021, 11:22:54 AM »
Ground has been broken on this course in Lubbock, TX being built by King Collins. Should be an interesting development to watch.

West Texas Driving Range Pro (JJ Killeen) looks to be very involved -- it won't be everyone's cup of tea (see the website main pic) but it looks like it will be fun #pissmissiles. Definitely worth checking out the routing map.

A Doak and now a KC course in Lubbock, TX (Population ~250K).

https://redfeathergc.com/

https://twitter.com/redfeatherg
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 08:58:37 AM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

SB

Re: Redfeather Golf and Social Club --Lubbock TX
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 12:05:16 PM »
I will be watching this with great interest. 

I'm very curious to know how deep the market is for 20-somethings looking to drop $50K on a golf/pickleball club in West Texas.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 10:32:58 PM »
I believe one the taglines being pushed on the social media was "putting Lubbock Texas on the map in the golfing world". Sorry Tom Doak  ??? ??? ???

Is the website serious or is it a troll of some kind?

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 11:16:24 PM »
 Wonder how the routing will deal with the tree?

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 09:02:43 AM »
I believe one the taglines being pushed on the social media was "putting Lubbock Texas on the map in the golfing world". Sorry Tom Doak  ??? ??? ???

Is the website serious or is it a troll of some kind?

Not sure Redfeather will change the golfing worlds knowledge of Lubbock golf, but how many people actually know the Rawls course exists and that it's a Doak design?

Outside of those on this website and those that live in west Texas, I'd imagine very very few.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 11:24:39 AM »
Better look at the planned routing. That triple green looks cool but scary to me -- the one in the middle is a par 5, hate to be putting out on one of the other 2 with a 3 wood incoming.

https://kingcollinsgolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Red-Feather-Plan_11.27.20.jpg
[/size]

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 11:57:10 AM »
I recall an old That's Jake or Bizarro cartoon with cattle skulls and tumbleweed laying around the golf course and a caption that read, "Why West Texas will never be a golf resort."  The courses can be great (as great as possible on dead flat property where you have to create contours).  That said, LaJitas resort isn't too far different in climate, and much better on natural features, and it seems to do well.  (I haven't been)

I will be called an old fogey again (or pedantic) but I hope they have their errors and omissions insurance up to date, LOL.  I get closely connected tees and greens, as long as the tees are behind the green.  There are 7 examples where the golfers are teeing off adjacent to a front corner of a green, which will at best slow play, and at worst, be dangerous.  I know a new generation of gca's wants to rethink everything, but most of us old guys wouldn't take safety for granted, based on hard experience.  A few of those are even on the downwind side of those greens, making problems even a bit more probable.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 12:28:19 PM »
 8)  Jeff,

The school of "hard knocks" so to speak?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 12:52:06 PM »
Hard knocks to the noggin!

Seriously, I have been lucky in my career, with the only two lawsuits against me from a sod supplier who thought it was unfair that I rejected their dead sod or sprigs for a project on my owner's behalf (it's my job, as described in the contract, also he was obligated to produce said sod on time, for the price agreed to, and both live and in good condition, which he failed to do)  Of course, I tend to separate my greens and tees further than many.  (I will say that after participating on this board since 1999, I have tightened up those distances a bit, but mostly for tees right behind a green, since statistically, almost zero shots go over greens on the fly - not tees adjacent.)

I have occasionally testified for clients on personal injury lawsuits, and been asked to testify for others (but turned it down because I just couldn't lie) and when someone gets injured, it's pretty hard to defend, "I wanted the course to be like the Golden Age or the original St. Andrews where you teed off from the previous green" to a sympathetic jury.  If history shows that tees too close to greens result in higher than normal injuries, then that will be the legal "standard" architects will have to face, at least, IMHO.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 09:24:39 PM »
Nobody has commented on Redfeather in a while, but I have to say, it looks pretty darn interesting.

Par 5's at 630 and 655. A par 4 at 515. A par 3 at 245...but still under 7,000 yards par 72. Why? Four potentially drivable par 4's and a 99 yard par 3 at #17. If you like out of the box, this looks pretty out of the box.

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 10:35:10 PM »
Adding to the danger: golf in that part of the world gives you four knuckle grips. When the four knuckle golfer ages a little you get wicked head high snap hooks. This course is not designed for that.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 08:20:44 AM »
I feel a little sorry for any right-handed golfer who struggles with a slice or block off the tee and will have to stare at OB all day on the holes around the perimeter of the property. As a lefty, I'm ecstatic!

Of course, that all changes when they reverse the routing, which from the plan looks very doable.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Shane Wright

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2022, 08:22:24 AM »
Mike -

You should know that a routing on an artistic map from a LONG time ago and what actually gets built in the field are often times VERY different.

Have you played in Lubbock before?

One of my favorite lines I learned living in Lubbock for several years:

"When it's breezy, swing easy.  When it's not, same effing thing."

mike_beene

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2022, 10:53:10 PM »
I am sad to say I have never played in Lubbock. Tried several cases there and bet I have made 50 trips there in my life. I have never been good at combining a work trip with a golf trip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back