News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Forfar Open 1 August
« on: July 22, 2021, 09:32:43 AM »
Niall C and I have a slot in the Forfar GC Open on 1st August at 12.40.  This has been carried over from last year when the Open was cancelled.  It's a fourball because originally my twins were booked to play with us last year but they're going to be in Newcastle playing cricket.  The places are paid for, does anyone fancy joining us?

Niall C

Re: Forfar Open 1 August
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 03:09:31 PM »
FBD has stuck his hand up so one place remaining.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 03:19:43 PM »
Yes, had a magnificent  8)  round at Crail yesterday, so the handicap is, hopefully, once again heading in the right direction.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ben Voelker

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 05:52:06 PM »
Mark,

I’m in Montrose and would be happy to join you if you still have a spot.  Feel free to direct message me if preferred!

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 03:10:13 AM »
Excellent stuff, Ben, I look forward to meeting you and introducing you to my dodgy golf game. I'll message you about the details.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 08:39:01 AM »
Folks

Unfortunately Mark has to pull out due to having a prior appointment with the great and the good so there is still  a space to join myself, FBD and Ben. Golf is already paid for so just need to roll up.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 10:11:04 AM »
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:50:13 AM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 11:10:08 AM »
Folks

There is still some room for tomorrow at Forfar. Message me if you fancy a game. Golf is paid for and tee-time is 12.40.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 02:19:19 PM »
As it turned out FBD had to pull out yesterday as well but Ben and I played and had a super day. Forfar played fast and firm with some nicely browned fairways and the more I play the course the more I appreciate it. Every hole is distinctive without being eye-candy, WOW look at me type architecture. Just great use of the topography on not a large parcel of land.

For those that don't know Forfar is the very first club to have an 18 hole course from its inception. A worthy claim to fame but not one that trips off the tongue too easily. Originally designed by Old Tom in 1871 it was redesigned by James Braid in 1926. I'm sure I've seen before and after plans but not sure where.

Anyway, Ben was great company and put up with my dodgy golf in the early holes (played the first without managing to get the ball airborne !) and the game rollicked along quite nicely until towards the end when a game a few holes in front started lagging. Having a wee nip every time someone had a birdie putt (that's an attempted birdie, not an actual birdie) and also another to celebrate the long drive on each hole, apparently took its toll on them.

If you are in the area then I heartily recommend playing Forfar.

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 01:52:25 PM »
(played the first without managing to get the ball airborne !)

On a Rig & Furrow fairway, that must have been interesting?  :)

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 02:03:59 PM »
Brian

What can I say, I'm a very talented guy  ;)

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 02:50:10 AM »
Brian

What can I say, I'm a very talented guy  ;)

Niall

;D

Ben Voelker

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 08:58:04 AM »
As it turned out FBD had to pull out yesterday as well but Ben and I played and had a super day. Forfar played fast and firm with some nicely browned fairways and the more I play the course the more I appreciate it. Every hole is distinctive without being eye-candy, WOW look at me type architecture. Just great use of the topography on not a large parcel of land.

For those that don't know Forfar is the very first club to have an 18 hole course from its inception. A worthy claim to fame but not one that trips off the tongue too easily. Originally designed by Old Tom in 1871 it was redesigned by James Braid in 1926. I'm sure I've seen before and after plans but not sure where.

Anyway, Ben was great company and put up with my dodgy golf in the early holes (played the first without managing to get the ball airborne !) and the game rollicked along quite nicely until towards the end when a game a few holes in front started lagging. Having a wee nip every time someone had a birdie putt (that's an attempted birdie, not an actual birdie) and also another to celebrate the long drive on each hole, apparently took its toll on them.

Niall

Niall,

What can I say?  Bouncy turf, lots of interesting land movement (including the furrows), good company and great weather made for a really good day.

I wholeheartedly agree that Forfar is worth a play and feels like a true "hidden gem" in an era when there's not many left.  Whilst I know most of us non-Scots go for links golf, Forfar is a fine detour for anyone between Dundee and Aberdeen.

Many thanks Niall, and looking forward to another game soon!

Ben

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 12:31:02 PM »

Niall
I played in the 2022 edition of the Forfar Open yesterday.  Not the greatest of days as I discovered on the first fairway that my range finder had been half-inched from my bag which I had left by the pro-shop and then the two 20 something handicappers I played with dragged my game even further down.

But I really enjoyed the course.  Niall sums it up well, but I think it's better than his summary suggests.  Brilliant use of some heavily contoured land.  Little surprise to learn that James Braid had been involved at some stage.

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 01:26:03 AM »
Mark

Glad you enjoyed it and sorry to hear about your range finder. Definitely need to organise another game soon.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back