News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Conwy photo tour
« on: August 03, 2011, 05:24:29 AM »
Conwy (Caernarvonshire) Golf  Club is old, having been founded in 1890. But golf had been played on the Morfa from 1868. In 1875 a group of golfers from Royal Liverpool arranged for a 12-hole layout to be professionally designed (Jack Morris). In 1895 the course was extended to a full 18 holes.

Since then the club and course have been through trying times. A huge army camp was built on the site during the First World War, flattening many of the natural features. Again, during the Second World War, military occupation threatened to ruin the course. It was during this war that the marsh behind what is now the 2nd green was dug out for the construction of a large part of Mulberry Harbour, a key to success in the Allied landings. More recently that land was again dug out for the construction of the A55 tunnel under the river estuary. It was floated out of its construction base just as the pieces of Mulberry Harbour had been in 1944. That has now been converted into a marina with unusually attractive modern housing. The building of the tunnel necessitated taking some land from the club and giving it some more land at the far end. The course was considerably altered as a result, first with amendments by Frank Pennink, then further changes by Brian Huggett and Neil Coles. The golf course designer and club member, David Williams, was commissioned to redesign the short 2nd hole. It is a cracker! Finally, in preparation for hosting Open Championship Final Qualifying in 2006, Donald Steel was brought in to revamp the bunkering. Fairway watering was installed, but it is used very sparingly and the traditional brown coat is still worn by the course in the summer months.

Conwy has been used for a host of genuine championships, men, women and juniors, throughout the years and it can be stretched to almost 7,000 yards for this purpose. When Open Championship Final Qualifying took place only three players broke par over two rounds, Jon Bevan, Warren Bladon and Mikko Illonen, with Illonen going on to a top-20 finish at Hoylake.

I joined Conwy as a country member in the 1970s when I was living in London. When I moved north in 1979 I changed to full membership. Although the course was 80 miles away, the M56 and A55 are good, fast roads, and when the children were young I could leave them with my parents so I played there more or less every week. At that time there was no possibility of joining one of the better Cheshire clubs which all had full waiting lists. After my parents had died it was obvious that I would visit less frequently and it was at that time that a new clubhouse was to be built. Some of the funding came from Life Memberships, one of which I took. It means that now my annual sub is all of £7 being the Welsh Golf Union subscription!

The course is busy, with booked starting times necessary throughout most of the year. One of the best ways of playing it is to enter any of the open competitions held during the Bob Jones Week at the end of July (there is an on-line site). The food is excellent and inexpensive and there is no better welcome from a professional than that of Peter Lees who has been with the club for over 40 years.

Yardages are from the men’s medal (white) tees, giving a total length of 6647 yards, par 72, SSS 74.. Sorry about the poor light. 1st August, temperature ca 70F, absolutely no wind and no hint of the sun.

1.   375 yards par 4

Not too difficult an opening tee shot (20 yards longer from the blue tees) on a still day, but when the wind blows (and how fiercely it can blow here!) this can be quite a handful with out-of-bounds over the ditch to the right and a pair of greedy bunkers awaiting just where the fairway narrows on the left.

The approach to the green is made over a ridge which obscures the bottom half of the flagstick, flanked by two typical seaside bunkers.

Looking back from behind the green you can just make out the ridge which complicates the approach shot. All too often the shot hits the downslope of the ridge and scuttles through the back of the green.

2.   147 yards par 3

This green was substantially rebuilt some years ago by David Williams. It is tricky. There are two bunkers at the front and a further three eating into the putting surface on the right. But what make this green so interesting are the many different slopes. There is no straight putt and a ridge running through the putting surface complicates things even more.

Oh dear! Two of us came up one club short.

3.   335 yards par 4

This hole plays at 379 yards from the championship tee. It is a good hole from there with the fairway snaking left 250 yards out and a bunker on the right at 256 yards. The smart play is a long iron for position leaving a wedge or short iron up onto the green.

Two balls in position A. As you can see there is a lot of activity behind the green, with the 4th and 10th tees just beyond the putting surface. Many approach shots come up short just because of this. There is actually plenty of room.

It’s a nice spot up here, with good views over the Conwy Estuary. That is the Great Orme on the far side. There used to be a golf course right up on the summit!

4.   393 yards par 4

It is 405 yards from this championship tee.

As I said, there are two tees up here, the 4th and 10th, hence the need for a marker post to indicate which fairway is which. The fairway bears left past a bunker on the left about 250 yards out and there are three bunkers a little further on to the right for the big hitters who hit too straight.

The shot to the green is deceptive because there is a ridge obscuring the putting surface 30 yards short of the green, and you can’t see a deep bunker on the left front of the green.

There is a considerable slope up at the front of this green and it is quite easy for an approach shot to roll off the sides or back of the putting surface.

5.   442 yards par 4

It is not immediately apparent where to drive on this hole.

Those people are on the green (with the road tunnel in the background). To the left of them is a clump of dark gorse and to the left of that a right fairway bunker 278 yards out.

And this bunker on the left is 269 yards out. So the long driver has to be very careful about getting between the two – a difficult task as this hole usually plays directly into the teeth of the gale. As a shorter hitter my problem is chewing off just the right amount of gorse from the tee. I can no longer aspire to getting on this green in two shots.

With little feature in the flat ground of this fairway and only rock roses off the fairway distance judgement is tricky in finding this green, especially when played into the wind.

6.   177 yards par 3

And it is the flatness of this hole that again makes distance (and direction) judgement tricky. Inland this would be utterly unmemorable. By the sea it suddenly takes on considerable character.

What you can’t see from the tee is the depth of the bunkers either side of the entrance to the green. The wind is often from behind and you may need to drop the tee shot short and feed it up the sloping front of the green between those bunkers. Anything which misses the green will bounce far away leaving a nasty chip back with those bunkers again threatening.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Conwy photo tour
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 05:25:40 AM »

7.   441 yards par 4

That must be about 12 years ago. Giles is now 26 and very much at war with his driver!

Looking out towards the Isle of Anglesey. Whatever standard the golf has been you have to feel glad to be alive standing here and still playing golf.

This is a lovely drive to a fairway angled right to left. Three bunkers on the right are well positioned for drives of 230, 250 and 271 yards. There is a little road crossing the fairway just beyond and a drive crossing it makes a huge difference to the second shot.

These two concrete structures are all that remain of the gunnery emplacements guarding the military camp and Mulberry Harbour construction site during the Second World War. The rough on the left of the fairway is not to be trifled with!

A really good drive might finish around here, giving a partial sight of the green, secreted away in a little dell.

We sat behind this green watching players coming through in the 1990 Boys Home Internationals. All could reach the green in two shots, but none got a birdie. It is a deceptively difficult green to read.

8.   435 yards par 4

Another well-sited tee, with Peter Lees, my good friend, showing me how it should be done.

What do you do here?

The telephoto option reveals a little more. The fairway bends to the right in a gentle curve over the first 280 yards or so, with a bunker on the right at exactly that distance. But long hitters trying to avoid that bunker will often run out of fairway on the left where there is some fierce rough. With the hole usually playing into the wind it is a tough driving hole.

That bunker on the right. It is serious.

There is a significant rise onto the putting surface and a side-to-side ridge about two thirds of the way back. This is a very sloping green and a cool head is required.

Neither of these putts was made!

9.   523 yards par 5

At last! The first par 5. You need to study the course planner to determine the ideal line for your strength of drive.

These out-of-bounds posts are to prevent you taking the short route back up the 8th fairway. That’s the green on the sea wall in the middle of the picture.

The three bunkers on the left are about 240 to 260 yards out. They are just where a track crosses the fairway, which bends left at this point. Those intent on getting on in two will have to fly these and the rough ground just beyond them. There is also a bunker further on, on the right, That is a new one at 333 yards. It’s a very tight drive if you are ambitious.

Playing conservatively I have got here in two shots about 160 yards short of the green, which is on top of that hill.

If you are laying up make sure you don’t carry that little bit too far. This nasty bunker is 83 yards from the front of the putting surface uphill. Lavinia played a magnificent shot out, coming to rest on the fringe. She ended up with a 6 nett 4.

We are overlooking the estuary for the last time. North Wales and Maesdu courses are on the other side of the water.

10.   537 yards par 5 (550 yards from blue tee)

We head inland, back towards the clubhouse. For mortals the drive is comparatively simple with a generous fairway at which to aim. Those with greater power must avoid bunkers at 253 yards (left), 266 yards (right) and 291 yards (left). Go even further and you run out of fairway at 329 yards when you encounter an abrupt ridge crossing the fairway.

Around here the fairway is notably undulating and there are treacherous gorse bushes dotted on either side of the fairway.

This is the view from about 200 yards in.

Bunkers guard the approaches to the putting surface, which is quite small in area and slightly hidden away behind a mound and diagonal ridge.

11.   385 yards par 4

This is a daunting drive for the average player into the wind. On paper the carry is only 120 yards over the gorse bushes to find heavily undulating rough ground, but the mown fairway doesn’t start until about 180 yards out playing from the very back. It is difficult to discern the best line, because the fairway is obscured by gorse. There are bunkers at 270 and 288 yards out but those are irrelevant to all but the giants. Of greater concern are outcrops of gorse – and the gorse will close in as the round continues.

You can see a bit better from this forward tee.

The green is set at fairway level on low ground and well attended by bunkers. It is a real seaside special and when the wind is up it can be unreachable in two shots even by strong players.

12.   503 yards par 5

One of the features of the Conwy routing is that no consecutive holes go in the same direction: until now, that is, when you get three in a row, usually battling out into the wind to the north-west corner of the property. This is a wonderfully dry fairway and you get miles of roll in still weather. Bunkers at 254, 264 and 286 yards compel straightness amongst the big hitters, but lesser hitters can perish in forbidding rough or gorse bushes at almost any shot.

These are the drive bunkers on the left of the fairway. We are climbing gently towards a distant ridge. The green cannot be seen until about the last 100 yards, but there is a marker post.

This is the view from that ridge 100 yards out. There is a low ridge interrupting the fairway halfway to the green and many approach shots played blind from afar perish here. The rough off to the left of the green is particularly savage.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 05:26:34 AM »

13.   174 yards par 3

This can often play much longer than its card yardage, with the wind sweeping round the headland. This is not the place to top your tee shot, although there is quite a generous landing area in front of the putting surface – necessary when you might be going in with wood.

There are bunkers either side of the entrance – not particularly severe – but the hard bit is accessing the right part of the putting surface depending on where the hole has been cut. The ridge dividing the upper and lower levels is big and putting diagonally across it is not recommended.

This is our final seaside hole.

14.   499 yards par 5

This is how it used to look, with nothing much to hinder a full swing.

This is it today with bunkers on the left at 285 and 318 yards and one further on the right at 370 yards. This hole plays at 524 yards from the championship tee.  And it is not fanciful to imagine people driving the right hand bunker. This is the driest fairway of all with a slight downhill movement and the wind is likely to be helping all the way. Even I used to play this with driver-6 iron. Not now, though. Much gorse was removed from where the average hacker might hit the ball but there are still patches where the inaccurate big hitter might stray.

Once again the green is an extension of the fairway, encouraging a long, running approach from the traditionalist.

15.   153 yards par 3

The prettiest hole on the course.

And well bunkered in front. Yes there is a ball woefully short in that front bunker. I admit that it is mine. The one beautifully positioned at the entrance to the green is my wife’s. You may wonder why the hole is so plentifully bunkered in front (5 in all) with none at the side or back. This hole plays back into the wind. You tee off sheltered from the wind in an enclosure of gorse. You fail to take enough club – almost every time! And what happens if you go long? You run off the back of the green into the gorse bushes. And, if you can find it, where do you drop? It takes courage to pick a 3-iron to play this hole, but sometimes it is necessary!

16.   363 yards par 4

If the previous hole was the prettiest, this has to be the ugliest.

Perhaps even uglier from here, the championship tee, when the hole is stretched to 430 yards. There used to be a bunker at driving length on the left. Thankfully it has gone, although it did on occasion save my ball from disappearing into gorse bushes. The fairway bends gently right, but do not cut the corner unless you are going for a huge drive. On that side, on landing, the ball invariably kicks right, very often into the thick bushes grown there to cut out some of the noise from the A55 as it emerges from its tunnel.

And the green is so mundane. Surely Conwy should have something more attractive. Not that this is an easy hole – far from it, it is Stroke 6 – but it is so unattractive. Perhaps that is why I rarely play the hole well.

17.   389 yards par 4

This hole is a notorious card wrecker. From tee to green the fairway is lined with thick, impenetrable gorse. You are playing directly into the wind. The more you play this hole the more frightened of it you become. My father was a marshal on this tee during one of the Aberconwy Trophies many years ago (a 72-hole scratch amateur tournament co-hosted with Maesdu). Top amateur golfers came onto the tee (397 yards from the back) 2 or 3 under par and left the tee 5 over.

This is about where your ideal tee shot might finish.

Yet again the green is an extension of the fairway. In a stiff wind the proximity of the gorse to the left of the green can cause problems. The putting surface is all that remains of a former short hole played from a tee on the dunes on the right, and this green has more subtle undulation than many here.

18.   376 yards par 4

You cannot see the green from the men’s tees and you are driving towards a fairway angled slightly from left to right. So you will need to cut off some of the angle by clearing the dense gorse bushes on the right. Longer hitters (and those chickening out of the gorse carry) will need to be aware of further outbreaks of gorse on the left.

A ridge crosses the fairway at 307 yards and many drives, wind-assisted, come to rest at its base.

And again the green is at fairway level, with six attendant bunkers, and gorse aplenty to the right of the putting surface.

The balcony outside the main lounge is a great place to watch proceedings – but don’t eat your lunch out there; the gulls will steal it!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 05:52:01 AM »
Brian, If you are ever in the area and want a game there, please be my guest.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:01:10 AM »
Mark,

We played there a few years ago in the Wales Senior Open - and it was a lot of fun - until we got to the 16th which seemed unreasonably narrow and not very good. 17 from memory was so narrow it was a 4 iron, 4 iron hole and 18 wasn't much wider.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 06:21:31 AM »
It means that now my annual sub is all of £7 being the Welsh Golf Union subscription!

Mark,

Fabulous on all fronts! My son is in Buxton again with his Aunt for part of the summer, and between this and the Mayhugh threads, what am I waiting for?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:31:22 AM »
Mike(s), You're always welcome.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »
Mark,
Thanks for another great photo tour, enhanced with a bit of history.  Visitors to the Normandy D-Day beaches can still see remains of a Mulberry harbor. 

Conwy looks to be well-bunkered, and some of those green site (especially 7) look really good.

Sweeney,
Will Dylan go back next year?  I am sure there would be lots of help to arrange a good golf tour for you.

JC Urbina

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 10:23:27 AM »
Mark,

Thanks for the photo tour.  What a breath of fresh air. 

This course is one of the reasons you would venture away from the notables.  The little things that make this  course fun is apparent.  Love the simplicity of the bunkers although I did see a few that are really rustic and I think i liked those the most.

My next trip overseas should include courses like you have just posted.  I am not familiar with location can you give me a sense of where it is exactly?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 10:47:38 AM »
It is on the North Wales coast, accessible in an hour and a half from Liverpool or Manchester by car, or even by train. Quite a lot of golfers from the North West of England and the Midlands come down here in the winter when their own courses are waterlogged. Others take a cottage or caravan for a week in the summer. Dad plays golf, Mum and the children go to the beach or do the historic things such as Conwy Castle and the town walls, and Mum and the children are welcome in the clubhouse for meals while they wait for Dad. The club is not stuffy. It recognises there is money to be made out of catering!

Other courses worth visiting if staying in the area:

Royal St David's at Harlech - vies with Conwy for top links in North Wales status. Like Conwy remarkably flat.
Aberdovey - historic links with Darwin associations. Again quite flat. Some of the best greens in the country. Famous 3rd and 16th holes.
North Wales - quaint old links on West Shore at Llandudno. Quite short, lots of blind shots. Famous pair of short holes LO and OL.
Holyhead - narrow, windswept links on Isle of Anglesey. Dormie House sleeps 14.
Porthmadog - part links, part meadowland, but back nine has some really scenic and inviting links holes.
Nefyn - not a links, mostly meadowland on the cliffs. Part of the course is spectacularly laid out on a rocky headland and is famous for the Ty Coch beach pub to which you can descend via a path from the course. But the meadowland holes are unmemorable, the headland holes very quirky, but also very narrow and a public path runs through that bit. Make sure your insurance is up to date before launching the ball at a mother and her pram! I am not in a hurry to return.
Bull Bay - not a links, but built on a tumbling site overlooking the sea. Packed full of character (Fowler layout) with a great many fascinating holes. Lots of gorse, rocky outcrops and any number of great greensites and teeing grounds.
Prestatyn - genuine links, although you cannot see the sea, very flat but a good challenge, none the less with some slightly more adventurous holes beside the railway line on the homeward stretch.
Maesdu - separated by a little branch line from North Wales, and just that bit more inland in character. A number of excellent holes, but there is some dull stuff, too.
Ffestiniog - a mad, mad 9-holer high up in the Snowdonia mountains. But it has brilliant character and a host of unique holes. A must play - once, perhaps.

Ken Kearney

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 11:11:35 AM »
Mark,

Thank you posting this... it brings back very fond memories. I was a member of the Irish Amateur Team that won the Home International event (Raymond Trophy) in 1990 ... WOW... that long ago...
We beat England in the final match, with Liam McNamara, holing a 10 ft putt on the final green. That team included Padraig Harrinton and Paul McGinley.
I still get the "willies" thinking about the tee shot on 16... from recollection, I played it with a couple of long irons... the tee shot is VERY claustrophobic...
Super course and very enjoyable.

Regards,
Ken.
KK.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 12:30:18 PM »

The military camp at Conwy during the First World War.

Towing a section of Mulberry Harbour in the Conwy Estuary in preparation for  D-Day.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 04:03:29 AM »
Hi Mark,

It's the time of year when I'm thinking of organising my 2013 old friends trip.... 3 nights, 16 people, 4 rounds (Fri-Mon)...

Was thinking of Conwy... Do you know what the village is like to stay in - Any recommended hotels / pubs?

The course photos look great...

Thanks,
Ally

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »
Ally, I don't know what the town is like to stay in as I can drive home in little under an hour. Funnily enough I was with some Finnish golfers only yesterday who were about to stay at the Marina Hotel, but they hadn't at that point stayed there! Best advice would be to ring up Peter Lees, the club professional, and mention me - we are very old friends.

Where else are you playing? Harlech and Aberdovey are musts. You play Nefyn for the views and the beach pub, Ty Coch, but it is by no means a good course (you also have to be sure that the holes on the headland are open - the holes in the other direction are very dull). I'm sure you would enjoy Bull Bay on Anglesey. It's not a links although its sea views are good. But it's nob-to-nob golf of a fine order. I've done a photo tour of it on GCA. Holyhead is a genuine links with some good golf and it has a dormy house. The back nine at Porthmadog is high class links golf, but the front nine is somewhat prosaic. Depending on your itinerary you may want to go to Harlech via Ffestiniog - it's only about 20 minutes away and is like playing golf on the surface of the moon. It is great fun and it is cheap. See their website.

Conwy has an open week towards the end of July. It might be rather fun to enter some of the competitions. They're inexpensive and the course is usually in peak condition. The kitchen is open all day and happy to cook for spectators and families as well as competitors. The food is wholesome and inexpensive. There is a caravan site just up the road and many competitors in open week take a caravan for the week and bring the family. Come back to me if I can be of further help.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »
Thank you for sharing Mark
A lovely place to play for sure
I'm curious why everything looks so natural except for the tees - which stick out as rather formal.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »
Thanks for your help Mark... If we were to stay in Conwy, we'd probably play Conwy, North Wales, Harlech and one of Bull Bay or Holyhead... I'd make the trip further to Aberdovey alone...

If and when I start firming up then I may come back to you... The course looks lovely from the photos...

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »
We visited North Wales yesterday and it was very, very soggy - three holes put of play. It is a fun course rather than a big time test. The first couple of holes are quite quirky, then there is a dull patch until the turn when it picks up seriously with some excellent holes, especially three stunning par threes. I'll post some photos in due course.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »
Mike,

I agree about the teeing grounds. It's always been a functional course, low budget maintenance (and low membership fees) and I don't suppose anyone would consider spending money to beautify tees when there are more pressing tasks. Much of the work done to the course since I've been a member (late 1970s) has been done in house. The bunkers were revamped about 7 years ago with advice (and money) from the R&A.

Come and see it one of these days!

Mark.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 05:49:20 PM »
These are the only photo's of Conwy I can find on here? 

Whilst I wouldn't wish to disagree with anything Mark has to say about a course he knows and loves well, my take is...

Finally got to play here this week.   Straight away its a favourite, the whole exceeding the parts. Like many favourites it has a flavour all of its own. 

Normally it would be a mark down for narrow fairways. At one hole (6 or 7?) I paced the fairway as 16 yards wide to the bunker and 21 to the opposite semi rough.  BUT for the most part the semi and the rough are fescue at their best. Sometimes penal but just as often easy to find your ball and you still have a chance (admittedly there are Junk areas inc. Gorse, too). Couple this with BIG (sometimes huge) greens and you still have a chance. Plus its a brilliant walk and I csnt recall any course where so many pins were tucked or the green obscured by a ridge.

I urge you to add this course to your list.  Be very surprised if you are disappointed. 
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 06:15:59 PM »
I played it about the same time as Mark’s post. It is HARD. It took me to the woodshed, but then I wasn’t terribly straight off the tee that day. As Tony mentioned, it is tight. The greens and surrounds are very good and make this flat course interesting.

If you are up at that end of Wales play North Wales across the street and Bull Bay on the north east coast. Both are outrageously fun.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ronald Montesano

« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:35:47 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back