News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: No wind and bunkers not in play - now what?
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2022, 10:30:36 PM »
Sorry be be a bit contrary, but I don't see that big a problem. The course was playing as firm (and as short) as it possibly could. There was very little wind or rain to impact play and scoring.

The winning score of -20 was not a whole lot different than Faldo's -18 in 1990 or Tiger's -19 in 2000 or even Oosthuizen's -16 in 2010.

The tournament was about a competitive as it possibly could be, going down to the last 2 groups playing the last hole. The leaderboard was loaded with many of the best players in the world.

John Daly won the tournament in 1995 overpowering the course with his driver. Tiger won the tournament in 2000 staying out of the bunkers.     

Yes, players are hitting the ball further. But the golf I watched was very compelling.

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2022, 01:18:50 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, but is the fescue/heather (that all the announcers kept saying the players didn't mind being in) ever deeper/thicker/more penal than it was this past week? I don't recall and I've never been there. It seemed awfully forgiving to me. Not sure if that was a result of an extra dry year or what. If it was more difficult to play from, bunkers might've come into play more because players would have had to hit more controlled shots to try to keep it in the fairways more.

There isn't much heather on TOC. The vast majority of rough is like any links, but it was beautifully burnt off this year. There is a huge difference between normal rough and heather. Even if well maintained heather can be a bitch. If allowed to grow its unspeakable stuff. Truth be told, heather is not a great playing feature. It's beautiful when in bloom and if used sparingly spices up a round, but you don't want a steady diet of heather lined 40 yard wide fairways...get a red neck!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2022, 04:14:22 PM »
Here are the scores  from the 2000 Open Tiger finished at -19 with the next lowest score -11.  Maybe 15 scores in the 60s on Sunday.https://www.golfchannel.com/tours/r-a/2000/british-open

Now here are the scores for 2022 for Sunday - look at how many scores are in the 60s on Sunday.
[size=78%]https://www.theopen.com/leaderboard[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Tiger was the GOAT so put his score aside and the evidence is quite clear that scores were quite a bit lower this year.[size=78%]
[/size]As David mentioned Tiger didn't go into one bunker which was amazing - I watched quite a bit this year and I saw very few balls going into the bunkers. [size=78%]

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2022, 09:04:25 AM »
Head to your physician promptly; you may be suffering from UsOpenivitis. It's not a pandemic, but it does get infect golf fans and amateur golfers, the way Augustaphrenia sickens green chairs at clubs. In the case of the later, they want their conditioning to mirror that of AGNC during a two-week period in April. In the case of the former, you dance a tarantella of par is the measuring stick, when it is not.

These are expert golfers. They would be plus-eight handicaps at any of our courses. They should shoot under par. The Old Course welcomes people who figure out its mysteries, and it allows the basher and the strategist alike to do this.

Ask the fellows who missed the cut, how easily the Old Course played that week. When you winnow the field to half, you usually keep the better half for the final 36 holes. It stands to reason that they would continue to play well, having figured out what to do over the first half of the championship.

Other championship sites feature golf in a vacuum: the club alone. St. Andrews is about the town and the surrounding area. The event extends beyond the OOB stakes. How wonderful that is. We should see it every five-six years (Depending on how you count.) If that happened, golfers would figure out how to play it.

There will always be enough hole locations to trick the golfers. We don't mind when they hide the flags at ANGC, inspired by TOC. Why should we mind when they do so at TOC?

Here is a rotation for the event.
TOC
Portrush
Muirfield
RSG
Troon
TOC
Carnoustie
Birkdale
Lytham
Liverpool
TOC

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back