News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Partly in humour, partly in seriousness ..... private member golf clubs have committees and folk for whatever reason put themselves forward for election to such committees.
There can be quite a bit of behind the scenes lobbying going on ... "vote for Tom he's a good chap, don't vote for Dick or Harriet"  etc etc. Sometimes a candidate might stand on a particular platform, although this can also often be behind the scenes ... "I want green not white napkins in the restaurant".

However, are club members ever given the opportunity to formally ask questions of the candidates prior to casting their votes? I'm not aware of such although some private member clubs might allow it.
If your club gave members the opportunity to formally ask questions of the candidates what questions would you ask them?
I reckon I might be inclined, and recall from my above opening words that this is partly in humour, partly in seriousness, to ask a multiple choice question namely,
"Mr/Mrs/Miss X, can you please tell me if a Vardon Grip is a) a type of suitcase, b) a type of secret society handshake, c) the connection bracket that holds a flag to a flagpole, or d) something else and if so please describe?"
What would your question be? :)
atb
:)

Mike Nuzzo

who is Joe Burbeck?  :o
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Wayne_Kozun

@Thomas - You have contested elections for committees?  At clubs around here the only thing voted on is board positions and there generally is not a contest for the positions unless there is a big battle over something with alternate slates running.  Committees are appointed by the board, in addition to ex-officio members. That is not dissimilar from corporations where there is rarely a battle for board seats.

John Emerson

As Michael Scott would ask “why are you the way that you are?”.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Joel_Stewart

You can get a sense of someone's golf knowledge by asking some very casual questions.

Have you been to Scotland?
Have you been to Bandon?
What's your 3 favorite courses?

If they are interested in the green committee, that's entirely different.

Thomas Dai

Boards/committees, essentially the same thing, with selection being varied in terms of appointments/democracy/voting. Nepotism, cronyism, favouritism maybe more of a concern in some places than others. Different places, different systems. It’s worldwide game.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back