News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Tillinghast and Harmon Golf Course, Lebanon, Oh.
« on: June 13, 2021, 06:32:17 PM »
I currently live in Lebanon, Oh; a small town in the outer-burbs of Cincinnati.

The town of Lebanon has a little 9 hole course blocks from the center of town.
Supposedly it was built as a 5 hole course in 1912, and at some point extended to 9 holes.

Per the Wikipedia list of courses designed by Tillinghast, he is the original designer of 9-holer Harmon CC in Lebanon NY.  However, Lebanon NY does not have a Harmon CC.

Is Harmon GC of Lebanon Oh a Tillinghast design?
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Karl Jensen

Re: Tillinghast and Harmon Golf Course, Lebanon, Oh.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 09:12:27 PM »
Bill, The Tillinghast golf course was at a place called Harmon on Hudson near Croton on Hudson, New York. See link below.

https://crotonhistory.org/2013/01/28/selling-harmon/

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 10:58:02 PM »
Karl,  Thank you for that info.  That makes sense.  My wife told me there are many Harmon parks all over the country.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

John Nixon

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 06:22:32 AM »
I grew up in Lebanon, lived there until I moved to Indiana post-college in '82. Never thought I'd see Harmon mentioned here.

The course's own website mentions the possibility of being a Tillinghast course, but comes to no definitive conclusion. I've never played it, taking up the game after I'd moved away. I did play baseball at the adjacent Harmon Park diamonds (NLE).

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 07:52:10 AM »
Bill, The Tillinghast golf course was at a place called Harmon on Hudson near Croton on Hudson, New York. See link below.

https://crotonhistory.org/2013/01/28/selling-harmon/

Karl,
Was there a Harmon CC at Harmon-on-Hudson?
I just looked through Cornish & Written’s THE GOLF COURSE, and the only Harmon golf course they have listed is for Lebanon, NY.  No other Harmon golf courses are listed.  It still seems possible to me that Harmon GC in Lebanon, Oh. might be a Tillinghast design.

Karl Jensen

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 08:40:00 AM »
Bill,

See this newspaper article from 1917. I don't know the official name for the club. Whether it was Harmon CC or Harmon GC.

Harmon on the Hudson article, 12 Mar 1917 Hartford, CT Courant newspaper

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 09:29:23 AM »
There was a list of Tillinghast courses posted earlier this year in a thread about the Anglo-American Club in Quebec, Canada.  The thread contained a link with an advertisement listing Tillinghast’s work.  The advertisement is undated, but it is likely from the late 1920’s.  The timing would be after Tillinghast worked at Winged Foot, but prior to his work at Brooklawn in CT.  This advertisement lists a nine-hole course called Harmon Country Club in Harmon, NY.  The list of Tillinghast courses doesn’t seem to contain any work in Ohio up to this point of his career.  Here is the link that was posted by Ben Malach.  If you scroll half way down the page you will see the advertisement.

https://blog.torontogolfnuts.com/the-curious-case-of-quebecs-missing-a-w-tillinghast-golf-course/

Karl Jensen

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 09:50:57 AM »
The Tillinghast Tri-fold Advertising Brochure is from 1925.

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 09:53:31 AM »
Thanks Karl. 

I just realized the advertisement does include one course in Ohio.  27 holes for Lakewood Country Club in Cleveland, Ohio.

Karl Jensen

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »
Bret, I was informed today that a more accurate date of Tillinghast's brochure is Jan 1926.

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 08:24:10 PM »
Harmon, NY was developed by Clifford B. Harmon, who grew up in Lebanon, Ohio.  Harmon Golf Course and Harmon Park appear to be a gift to the town of Lebanon from William Elmer Harmon, Clifford’s older brother. The golf course was formerly known as Harmon Hall Golf Club in the old golf guides.

Here is an interesting link on the Harmon’s.

https://www.crotonfriendsofhistory.org/the-other-harmon

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 08:48:57 PM »
A couple of articles discussing the Harmon in NY.

Dec. 9, 1916 New York Herald -

Feb. 9, 1917 The Evening World -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 07:54:01 AM »
Since Harmon GC of Lebanon, Oh. is not listed in The Golf Course, does anyone know:
1. Who designed the original 5 holes in 1912;
2. When was it expanded to 9 holes,
3. and who designed the additional 4 holes?

Karl Jensen

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 08:55:24 AM »
Bill, The Harmon GC in Lebanon, OH is not as old as you think. Perhaps if you went to the Lebanon government offices they would have a record in their meeting minutes that would reveal more information.

Harmon Golf Club, Lebanon, OH article, 2 May 1915 Dayton, OH Daily News newspaper

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 09:43:57 AM »
Karl,

The Warren County Historical Society is quite good and is located in Lebanon.  I will check there and see what I can find.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back