News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Re: Why I can't stand Florida golf?
« Reply #350 on: January 11, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »
Jeff, don't be sorry!  I think it is great that we didn't get another thread about where to play in Orlando, which leads to the inevitable responses about World Woods, the Stadium Course, Mountain Lake, and even things as far away as Miami.

This is certainly a memorable thread.  As you said, some of us just disagree with the premise.  It isn't all awful!

You are pretty specific about playing in or very near Seminole County.  I think you have enough to go on.  As for the weather, we typically have 60 perfect days from mid-Oct through mid-Dec.  After that it can be tough.  Of course, our weather is tame relative to what the Northeast and Midwest have in the Winter.  So that's when people want to visit.

Some days are great.  I'll cross my fingers that you get a solid week of them.  JOHN

Mike Dasher

« Reply #351 on: January 12, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »
Jeff:

As usual, John is pretty spot on this topic.  Regarding Rolling Hills, a little tight, some good holes, possibly worth a play if you can find out what kind of shape its in.  Rolling Hills was once owned by Robert Bruce Harris during either the great depression or shortly thereafter.  I don't believe he is credited with any of the design.

You might consider Historic Dubsdread, the City of Orlando Muny as well.  It is also tight but currently in very good shape.  We did an extensive renovation there in 2007 as part of a neighborhood stormwater retrofit and you can walk if that is your cup of tee.

Finally, actually, I can stand Florida golf.

jeffwarne

« Reply #352 on: January 12, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
Jeff:

As usual, John is pretty spot on this topic.  Regarding Rolling Hills, a little tight, some good holes, possibly worth a play if you can find out what kind of shape its in.  Rolling Hills was once owned by Robert Bruce Harris during either the great depression or shortly thereafter.  I don't believe he is credited with any of the design.

You might consider Historic Dubsdread, the City of Orlando Muny as well.  It is also tight but currently in very good shape.  We did an extensive renovation there in 2007 as part of a neighborhood stormwater retrofit and you can walk if that is your cup of tee.

Finally, actually, I can stand Florida golf.

Mike,
Thanks for the input.

Tight's not really what I'm looking for out of the throes of winter.

I've heard great things about Eagle Dunes ;)
It's looking like Eagle Dunes,Deltona, Victoria Hills,Black Bear, and perhaps a late afternoon Mayfair (or Deland CC dep on schedule)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back