News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Lozier

Would it be worth it?
« on: May 03, 2021, 12:17:03 PM »
So we are taking our two girls - 6 & 10 years old - for a National Parks tour of California (4th-graders get a free year-long pass!). We will fly into LA, spend a couple days in San Diego, go thru Joshua Tree NP, Yosemite NP, Sequoia NP, etc. Originally, my wife suggested we drive up to Southern OR to show the girls Crater Lake and, wait for it...to let me play a day's worth of golf at Bandon where we worked for 6 months, escaping the real world for a half-year after getting married in 2008. After much discussion and number crunching, we have decided to cut our trip by 1400 miles and not head up so far.

So, my question is: Would it be worth it to bring my clubs for a possible round in SF where we will be staying for two nights after camping for over a week? And, how hard would it be to try to set up a round at one of the special clubs to make it worth it? Note: with our current itinerary, golf in LA or San Diego isn't ideal.

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 01:08:38 PM by Will Lozier »

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Would it be worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 12:30:16 PM »
If there are flights involved, my usual modus operandi for just one round is to take golf shoes but hire clubs if it comes to anything... awful hassle to lug clubs about and you tend to feel pressure to make it worthwhile.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 12:30:55 PM »
If it were me, I wouldn't take the trouble of lugging clubs around for your trip, just to have them for a possible round in or near SF.  I'd just enjoy the sights of SF. 

Enjoy Yosemite...a place that lives up to its lofty reputation!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 12:38:11 PM »
I hear ya. I did something similar on family vacations but wish I hadn't wasted time without my family. Forget the golf.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Phil Burr

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 12:48:20 PM »
The big three of Bay Area golf (SFGC, California, Olympic) are difficult to get on when the pandemic is NOT going on.  Now, forget it.  If I absolutely had to play while I was in the area, I might consider Sonoma Golf Club, designed by Sam Whiting, same as Olympic Lakeside.  However, you have to stay at the adjoining Fairmont resort whose cost would be a shock after a week of camping.  All in all I agree with those who suggest enjoying the city.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 01:32:50 PM »
Where there's a Will, there's a way ;)

I'd say go for it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 01:51:06 PM »
Suggestion:

Forget about abandoning your family for golf in SF.

Instead, take your clubs along and make time to play Wawona GC which is inside Yosemite National Park.  It's about as low key as can be, so you could take the family out with you for an hour or two. 

Caveat:  Don't do this if it means taking two hours away from the rest of Yosemite; do it if it means adding more time in Yosemite.

Possible alternative:  Play among the redwoods at Northwood GC, north of San Francisco.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 02:00:39 PM »
As a counter point, you see your family every day of your life, assuming you aren't a travelling salesman or something like that.

I wouldn't feel guilty to spend a morning golfing on a long trip like this...

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 02:02:20 PM »
North of Santa Cruz, Camp at Cowell Redwoods Park and go play Pasatiempo, renting clubs ...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 03:25:38 PM »
North of Santa Cruz, Camp at Cowell Redwoods Park and go play Pasatiempo, renting clubs ...

Steve,

That's a great idea.  Big Basin Park is a great spot and is just up the road from Pasatiempo.  (Assuming it'll be back open by then)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 03:01:47 PM »
Will,

We took our sons on a two  week vacation to Kauai back in 1985, they were 5 and 2 at the time.

I had thought of possibly renting and playing a round while we were there, but I decided against it.

A short time after we got home our older son told his mom that he wanted to go back, and when she asked him why he answered “because we had daddy with us all the time”.

I still choke up a bit when I think of his words.

So if you must play, take ‘em with you.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:05:02 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tim Leahy

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 02:38:20 AM »
Take the family to Golden Gate Park instead of golfing. Plenty of kid friendly museums and after a picnic you can drive through Lincoln Park Golf Course up the street and have great views of the Golden Gate Bridge from the 17th hole.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back