News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Garvelink

Arcadia Bluffs Erosion Concerns
« on: April 16, 2021, 08:55:01 PM »
I was able to get in a round in the last few days at Arcadia Bluffs and having played the course about 10 times its truly something special.  The greens today were lighting fast and I was amazed how fast and pure the ball rolled in the middle of April.....Amazing Condition right now!  I know this course has taken a beating on this forum but I still find it to be a riot every time I play it. 

For those that know the course well its probably fair to say that 3 of the more notable holes (probably the 3 best) are holes 11, 12, and 13. which all play right along Lake Michigan.  When we arrived at hole 12 today (par 4 that runs horizontal to the lake) there was a crew of about 8 maintenance guys working on it in various areas.  We stopped and chatted with them because we had the course to ourselves and they explained that the severe erosion that the Great Lakes experienced last year had taken its toll on Arcadia's coastline.  Hole 12 was really the big worry at the resort that they may lose the green due to erosion.  They have made a second green about 250 yards towards the clubhouse which would totally change the hole and make it far less appealing that how it currently sits.  There was no plan to shut down hole 12 but its fair to say that the course is very close to having major issues if the big lake continues to increase at the record levels of last year. 

Have other courses had major erosion issues that are on the coast?  If so what ones and can anything really be done to stop mother nature.  I know there were quite a few houses on Lake Michigan that were swallowed up and I am guessing that things like this really cannot be prevented if water levels stay high.

The good news is that Lake Michigan is down so far this year but as I looked down the coast I was amazed at how high the water still was.  I can only imagine the impact it could have on Arcadia with high water levels.

I also noticed that on hole 11 there was not a massive mesh orange fence on the edge of the green as you can see that erosion has def come close to having issues on this hole as well.  A lot of trees below were now laying all over the place and it was very different than what it looked like 2 years ago.  There has always been a fence there but this one is different.  Does anyone have any info on this?

Hole 13 would have to be a concern as well if water levels continued to rise.  Luckily they are going down so I am happy for Arcadia as both the Bluffs and South course are must plays and two of the best courses in the midwest.

So I think things will be ok assuming the lake levels continue to go down but if we had a few summers like the one we had last year Arcadia may be in jeopardy of losing some of its best holes.  I thought it was worth a share
"Pure Michigan"

astavrides

Re: Arcadia Bluffs Erosion Concerns
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 08:30:21 AM »
Thanks for posting this.

John Emerson

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 08:50:36 PM »
I think many courses are in trouble.  Especially ones close to the coast and not far above sea level.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 06:20:01 AM »
I was able to get in a round in the last few days at Arcadia Bluffs and having played the course about 10 times its truly something special.  The greens today were lighting fast and I was amazed how fast and pure the ball rolled in the middle of April.....Amazing Condition right now!  I know this course has taken a beating on this forum but I still find it to be a riot every time I play it. 

For those that know the course well its probably fair to say that 3 of the more notable holes (probably the 3 best) are holes 11, 12, and 13. which all play right along Lake Michigan.  When we arrived at hole 12 today (par 4 that runs horizontal to the lake) there was a crew of about 8 maintenance guys working on it in various areas.  We stopped and chatted with them because we had the course to ourselves and they explained that the severe erosion that the Great Lakes experienced last year had taken its toll on Arcadia's coastline.  Hole 12 was really the big worry at the resort that they may lose the green due to erosion.  They have made a second green about 250 yards towards the clubhouse which would totally change the hole and make it far less appealing that how it currently sits.  There was no plan to shut down hole 12 but its fair to say that the course is very close to having major issues if the big lake continues to increase at the record levels of last year. 

Have other courses had major erosion issues that are on the coast?  If so what ones and can anything really be done to stop mother nature.  I know there were quite a few houses on Lake Michigan that were swallowed up and I am guessing that things like this really cannot be prevented if water levels stay high.

The good news is that Lake Michigan is down so far this year but as I looked down the coast I was amazed at how high the water still was.  I can only imagine the impact it could have on Arcadia with high water levels.

I also noticed that on hole 11 there was not a massive mesh orange fence on the edge of the green as you can see that erosion has def come close to having issues on this hole as well.  A lot of trees below were now laying all over the place and it was very different than what it looked like 2 years ago.  There has always been a fence there but this one is different.  Does anyone have any info on this?

Hole 13 would have to be a concern as well if water levels continued to rise.  Luckily they are going down so I am happy for Arcadia as both the Bluffs and South course are must plays and two of the best courses in the midwest.

So I think things will be ok assuming the lake levels continue to go down but if we had a few summers like the one we had last year Arcadia may be in jeopardy of losing some of its best holes.  I thought it was worth a share

I believe that you're referring o the same areas that was a problem during construction.

Granholm continues to pursuelawsuit against Arcadia Bluffs | Ludington Daily News | shorelinemedia.net
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Stewart Abramson

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 09:29:35 AM by Stewart Abramson »

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 11:07:02 AM »
... and on top of the erosion on the sides of the bluffs, plastic or rather surlyn pollution is being documented, see link to Detroit Free Press at https://youtu.be/D3M9cJeCDLM   just like off Pebble Beach and probably other shorelines around the world adjacent to golf venues. 

The slope of the bluffs there don't seem as steep as some shorelines and so the toe is eroding from Lake levels and upslope material and vegetation is slipping down?  Seems like fixing that might require a COE Section 404 Dredge and Fill permit to reinforce...

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill Gayne

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 07:30:58 PM »
I really enjoyed last summer's visit to Arcadia Bluffs so it's disappointing to read about the erosion problems. They were taking mitigation steps for erosion on the 12th hole. If you look at the property on both sides of the golf course it is densely forested and from what i understand thousands of trees were removed to build the golf course. I have to wonder if the tree removal is contributing to the erosion problem?

Arcadia Bluffs is one of a couple of places that I probably would have never visited if it wasn't for the travel restrictions from COVID.

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 04:55:29 PM »
Bill,

Virtually all of that side of the lake has suffered sever erosion.  My neighbor's Dad has had a house on the lake for more than 60 years and lost a huge chunk of their land over the last two years - never really had a problem before that.  The lake has been really high for a long time now and the storms just completely take out the sand based land, with or without trees.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 12:10:25 PM »
Bill,

Virtually all of that side of the lake has suffered sever erosion.  My neighbor's Dad has had a house on the lake for more than 60 years and lost a huge chunk of their land over the last two years - never really had a problem before that.  The lake has been really high for a long time now and the storms just completely take out the sand based land, with or without trees.

Couldn't agree more. My family is 2 hours south & when I was home for Christmas, we went to Grand Haven. I could not believe how high the water was. There was hardly any beach between the parking lot & the water.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back