News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Guy Campbell and Augusta?
« on: April 07, 2021, 03:04:58 PM »
Golf Digest has this https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/masters-2021-a-newly-discovered-letter-from-bobby-jones-reveals-he-might-ve-had-a-different-architect-in-mind-for-augusta-national/ar-BB1foctS?ocid=msedgdhp

May not be Augusta National because the letter says "terrain is good, not too rolling", plus I wouldn't describe that Augusta is near Atlanta
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 03:09:11 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Adam Lawrence

Re: Guy Campbell and Augusta?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 03:18:49 PM »
Yes, I saw that and had the same reaction. I felt GD's assumption that the letter must be about Augusta was pretty unjustified.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 03:23:24 PM »
saying that Augusta is near Atlanta is pretty close (by just a few miles) to saying Birmingham is near London

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 03:30:45 PM »
It sounds like Augusta to me.  Where else would Jones have been planning to pursue such a project, literally a month before MacKenzie was hired to design Augusta National?

The only way it's anywhere else is if Jones was considering dumping Clifford Roberts and doing a project with someone else, which would be its own scoop of course, but the piece says that a letter from Roberts confirmed that it was Fruitlands Nursery.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 04:28:58 PM »
I wonder where the old files were found? Under the grannie’s bed or at the lawyers office?
 ;D
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 05:34:54 PM »
By the sounds of things Campbell made quite an impression on Jones. I wonder if the timing wasn't right for Campbell. Most of all though I wonder why Campbell didn't say anything after the event, he was a journalist after all ?

Niall

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 05:43:46 PM »
By the sounds of things Campbell made quite an impression on Jones. I wonder if the timing wasn't right for Campbell. Most of all though I wonder why Campbell didn't say anything after the event, he was a journalist after all ?

If Bobby Jones told you to keep something in confidence, I think you would.  Especially as a story about not getting the job would just have come off as sour grapes.  The only proof he had was a letter from Jones expressly telling him not to tell anyone about it!

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 05:56:31 PM »
Tom

Possibly but when you think how clubby and how chatty these guys were it is hard to believe that some time after the fact that he'd wouldn't be sitting in the large room in the R&A clubhouse talking to his cronies and let slip how he was in the frame for Augusta but couldn't free up his diary or whatever. Kind of similar to MacKenzie and Gleneagles.

He was also in cahoots with Hutchison at that point and you imagine he would have discussed it with him. Interesting to think what he'd have made of the opportunity and what it would have done for his career.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 11:19:22 AM »
Bumping this thread …. drum roll for next week ……..
Atb

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 01:42:32 PM »
Perhaps that link hit a nerve, its been removed.

P.S.  Marty you're killing me, but if I'm betting, I'm going with 3 to 1 says it was under grannies bed. ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 02:58:08 PM »
Perhaps that link hit a nerve, its been removed.
P.S.  Marty you're killing me, but if I'm betting, I'm going with 3 to 1 says it was under grannies bed. ;D

Try this - [size=78%]https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2022/04/06/bobby-joness-first-choice-to-build-augusta-was-not-alister-mackenzie/[/size]
Atb

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 03:41:04 PM »
Here’s a link to the ACTUAL ARTICLE. Page 26 onwards.

https://www.golfcollectors.co.uk/u/cms/ttg_138_2021_september.pdf

It quotes the initial letter from Jones to Campbell as saying “There has been for years at this place a modern hotel of about 400 rooms, together with two club courses, one of which is quite good.”

Any of our Augusta experts know of such a local facility?

Confussed,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brian Finn

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2024, 05:13:40 PM »
Here’s a link to the ACTUAL ARTICLE. Page 26 onwards.

https://www.golfcollectors.co.uk/u/cms/ttg_138_2021_september.pdf

It quotes the initial letter from Jones to Campbell as saying “There has been for years at this place a modern hotel of about 400 rooms, together with two club courses, one of which is quite good.”

Any of our Augusta experts know of such a local facility?

Confussed,
F.
Hopefully Mark Pritchett will see this thread and add his specific local knowledge, but until then...I believe what is now called Augusta CC was once the Bon Air Golf Club (associated with the Bon Air Hotel) and had two 18 hole courses, one designed by Donald Ross and the other by Seth Raynor.  The current course at ACC is the Ross course, with the Raynor lost at some point around the great depression timeframe. 
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back