News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Elie - Tuesday 12 July
« on: June 17, 2022, 04:59:22 PM »
One time GCAer and professional Australian Chris Kane and I will be playing at Elie on the afternoon of Tuesday 12 July.  Anyone interested in joining us?

Ira Fishman

Re: Elie - Tuesday 12 July
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 06:22:39 PM »
Unfortunately I only have stretch denim pants available.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 07:55:51 PM »
I'll be in Lundin Links on Wednesday 13 July (for the yanks that's July 13) and attending the Open Thursday and Friday if anyone is around for a pint.

Mark hosted my son and I at Elie and it was a real treat. The golf course itself is top shelf and spectacular in the twilight.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 09:33:27 AM by Bill Gayne »

Cal Seifert

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 10:21:45 PM »

If this forum had a thumbs up button, you would get one here.  ;)

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 01:44:07 AM »

+1 😎

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 03:41:15 AM »

+1 😎

Ciao
+2

Enno Gerdes

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 07:38:49 AM »
Mark,
I'll be in Edinburgh that week. I'd love to join you, but I don't think there are any viable public transport options between Edinburgh and Elie. However, if you're in the area, it would be nice to meet up for a pint in Edinburgh!

James Reader

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 07:51:44 AM »
I’m going to be working at the Open as a marshal.  I don’t have the rota yet but if I’m not on that afternoon I’d love to join you Mark.  I’ll let you know as soon as I find out.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 01:46:11 PM »
One time GCAer and professional Australian Chris Kane and I will be playing at Elie on the afternoon of Tuesday 12 July.  Anyone interested in joining us?

Make sure he has his own long socks. The ones they sell at the course aren't very comfortable.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2022, 01:58:54 PM »

Make sure he has his own long socks. The ones they sell at the course aren't very comfortable.

;D ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 05:24:45 AM »

Sadly the long sock rule is no more.  Though members still play in them.  And I have several pairs of the club socks and they're very comfortable.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 06:56:44 AM »
In seriousness, I am not sure that those of you who live in the UK and Ireland appreciate how envious most of us Americans are when it comes to golf. Four trips and still just barely scratching the surface of the terrific publicly accessible courses in such reasonable proximity to one another. Fortunately, Elie is one we had the pleasure of playing. The whole course is memorable, but the back corner stretch of 10-13 one of my all time favorites.

Ira

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 10:30:05 PM »

Sadly the long sock rule is no more.  Though members still play in them.  And I have several pairs of the club socks and they're very comfortable.

The socks they sold me were solid black. I doubt they were "the club socks".

Perhaps the problem was my huge feet cramed into one size fits all socks. Afterwards my wife admired my dainty "lilies".
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ben Voelker

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 03:26:48 AM »

Mark,

I don't think I will be able to join you but happy to have you up at Montrose to see if we can make good on previous attempts last time.

More generally for those traveling up for the Open, happy to have folks up to Montrose; just shoot me a DM!

Regards,

Ben

Emil Weber

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2022, 06:19:11 AM »
Hi Mark and Chris,
it's been a few ages, but I'll be around St. Andrews for the beginning of that week before heading off to the Western Isles and would love to join, if you'd like to have me.
Best, Emil

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 11:54:20 AM »
In seriousness, I am not sure that those of you who live in the UK and Ireland appreciate how envious most of us Americans are when it comes to golf. Four trips and still just barely scratching the surface of the terrific publicly accessible courses in such reasonable proximity to one another. Fortunately, Elie is one we had the pleasure of playing. The whole course is memorable, but the back corner stretch of 10-13 one of my all time favorites.

Ira

Agreed, Elie is in my personal top 10- maybe the ultimate hidden gem/don't judge a course by the scorecard.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2022, 11:36:14 PM »
Hi Mark and Chris,
it's been a few ages, but I'll be around St. Andrews for the beginning of that week before heading off to the Western Isles and would love to join, if you'd like to have me.
Best, Emil
It would be great to catch up Emil.  I look forward to seeing you again!

Chris Kane

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2022, 02:05:16 AM »
Hi Mark and Chris,
Best, Emil

Likewise!!

Emil Weber

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 08:26:38 AM »
Hi Mark and Chris,
Best, Emil

Fantastic, looking forward to seeing both of you! Mark, I'll PM you my contact to stay in touch.

I'm also looking at attending a day on the weekend at the Scottish Open, if anyone wants to join!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 03:07:23 AM by Emil Weber »

Bill Crane

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2022, 02:13:59 PM »
My son and I had a thoroughly enjoyable round at Elie about 5 years ago.   We met up with two members who played the remaining 14 holes or so with us and we had lunch together afterward.
I got a real kick out of finding a few pictures of William Campbell in the hallway - whom I had caddied for in my teens around 1973 at our club Springdale.   
Campbell was one of the best US Amateurs since Bobby Jones and probably the best golfer who ever played at Princeton.
By the way, Elie does not post info on how to apply for membership on their website.   If anyone has some info I would be interested in knowing.    Maybe a PM since they clearly do not want to publish their requirements. 

Charles Lund

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2022, 01:29:20 AM »
I'm flying home from Dublin that day.

Have a good time.

Charles Lund

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2022, 04:09:27 AM »
We have four.  James Reader and Emil will join Chris and me.  I'll let you guys have details of tee time as soon as I book it (we have a Summer booking system which is 7 days at most).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back