News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re: Desert Forest GC ('62, Red Lawrence) in Carefree, AZ ... Drone View
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 12:13:30 PM »
Key word: was
The course was vandalized by an an incompetent fool who failed to study how the greens worked to bound balls into different areas.  The brilliance was way tiers worked to be able to pitch into a tier and work the ball to a hole behind a bunker.  Many old highly skilled seniors would shoot only a couple strokes over par while hitting on greens in regulation.  After the work, this was not possible.  I used to visit a couple students several times each winter. One left club with many others due to the failed work.  Pre-work, they had agronomic issues, and that was the excuse for a  green rebuild .  Hopefully, in a few years the club will be economically healthy enough to fix the vandalism!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
I peeked at this thread to see if that controversy over the redesign had died down.  I will tiptoe away now.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 12:57:43 PM »
Tom,
LOL.  I did the same thing.  Only comment I will make about DF is,..., I won't even make one.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 01:35:44 PM »
Well, I had only one visit and that was pre-renovation. I loved the place and could easily spend time there every year.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 05:14:08 AM »
Only played after the renovation and was impressed for a desert course, I personally liked the bunkering and thought the superintendent put a lot of time into making those bunkers play consistent (I was in enough lord knows).
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 03:22:01 PM »
Here was my review posted on September 19, 2017 after the renovation:

Thanks again to Dave ( August)  and the members of Desert Forest for the opportunity to play one of the best, if not the best, desert course . Having played there before the Zinkand renovation, this was my first visit to the "new" course. I think Ran's review needs an update given the work that has been done- bunkers, greens and a general clean up, etc. I was impressed even though the course may have been made more difficult according to some reviews. The greens were " slow" at about 10 instead of the usual 11 or 12. I'll take the 10. 

emphasis added!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:26:59 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 03:43:41 AM »
Funny thing. I played Desert Forest today and loved it. It’s the first time in a while I felt uncomfortable on the verge of confusion while over an approach from the fairway. To me that’s a very good thing.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 10:28:58 AM »
Funny thing. I played Desert Forest today and loved it. It’s the first time in a while I felt uncomfortable on the verge of confusion while over an approach from the fairway. To me that’s a very good thing.

Agreed.  But it is harder to get members to accept that, especially if they were comfortable with the hole having been a different way.  That's why redesigning a course is so fraught.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 11:21:16 AM »
Tom,
Isn’t this also why there is merit in talking to someone who is passionate and knowledgeable about the history and evolution of designs.  DF was basically a Flynn (Lawrence studied under him as you know) in the desert.  You could see so many aspects of Flynn’s style and design tendencies in that course. I loved it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 03:07:45 PM »
Tom,
Isn’t this also why there is merit in talking to someone who is passionate and knowledgeable about the history and evolution of designs.  DF was basically a Flynn (Lawrence studied under him as you know) in the desert.  You could see so many aspects of Flynn’s style and design tendencies in that course. I loved it.

No, because of exactly what you did there.

Try this out:  Pacific Dunes is basically a Dye (Tom studied under Pete Dye as you know) in sand dunes.

Now, I learned a lot from Mr. Dye, but if some restoration expert came along in fifty years and tried to fix my courses by installing more of Pete's style and design tendencies, I would find a way to communicate from the afterlife.  Perhaps a tsunami.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 03:48:30 PM »

Agreed.  But it is harder to get members to accept that, especially if they were comfortable with the hole having been a different way.  That's why redesigning a course is so fraught.

Wow. I never thought of that. But you are right. When Symers came back and made just a couple of changes at Four Streams it took a couple of years before we agreed that the changes were good.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Drew Harvie

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 05:31:28 PM »
Is the redo really that bad? I only played it once post reno and enjoyed it, but I have nothing to measure it against how it was. Granted, I played with three of my college teammates and we enjoyed the challenge. Wasn't fully engulfed in architecture at that time!

Mark_Fine

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 05:34:27 PM »
Tom,
The point I was making is that DF (pre-renovation) had many similar design aspects of what Flynn did.  You could see in DF that Lawrence trained under Flynn.  Would you not agree or did you not study it close enough?  It was in my opinion different from many of the other desert courses in that regard and I liked that.  Not all architects stray maybe as far as you did when they leave the nest  :D   

So much for me not commenting on this thread.  I will leave it at that for now. 

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 12:19:49 AM »
My post renovation criticism, which is harsh, came about after multiple plays.  My original criticism in an early thread only roasted a few greens.  However, I was  often playing with my tour member student and two old gentleman lacking length but possessing solid  golfing skill, and no matter where the older gentlemen layed up, they had no way gaining an optimum pitching opportunity.  This where the Flynn tie in was lost.  The more Flynn's I play,  it is fun experiencing the how brilliantly the greens are tied into achieving a good angle of attack in order to knock a shot close.  Today DF is aesthetically better, but strategically compromised.  And how a course plays should trump how a course looks!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2021, 01:00:40 PM »

My post renovation criticism, which is harsh, came about after multiple plays.  My original criticism in an early thread only roasted a few greens.  However, I was  often playing with my tour member student and two old gentleman lacking length but possessing solid  golfing skill, and no matter where the older gentlemen layed up, they had no way gaining an optimum pitching opportunity. 

As an older gentleman lacking length but posing solid golfing skills I loved the course for your exact reasoning. After the second hole the course told me in a not so subtle manner to reach back to my youth and play better.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 06:11:25 PM »
I had the opportunity to play DF recently as well (for the first time). I was massively impressed and loved it though it was very difficult. I'm not as good of a player as JK or my host but for the most found it playable even after a 5 month Minnesota winter layoff.

The fairways were relatively narrow and the desert unforgiving -- my host said in many places you have to 'read the fairway'. Agree with JK's comments on being uncomfortable playing into the greens -- my target all day was middle of the green and would probably be the same even if I was playing my best. The greens were diabolical once you were on them but not over the top (for whatever reason we had many extreme pin positions so it was definitely defensive putting). To me it felt more like a modern course than one that has been there for something like 50 years but still great. On the non-golf side it was perfect, golf only, nice but understated facilities.

I would put it above We-Ko-Pa as my favorite desert course.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back