News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Left & right handed and unusual grips
« on: March 12, 2021, 08:50:03 AM »
Some of the best right handed ball strikers were apparently left handed ... Ben Hogan, Nick Price, Sergio Garcia, Johnny Miiler have been mentioned. And Phil Mickelson is apparently right handed but plays professionally as a lefty.
Also while most top players have usually adopted the Vardon or interlocking grip some have held the club slightly differently ..... Bobby Locke and Neil Coles played with an all 10 fingers on the shaft (well 8 fingers and 2 thumbs) grip.
Some players have even played cross-handed.
I’m sure there are other examples of lefties playing righty or righties playing lefty plus less than usually considered orthodox methods of gripping the club.
Examples welcome.
Atb

Marty Bonnar

Re: Left & right handed and unusual grips
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 09:11:54 AM »
Dai,
Our own Bob Macintyre (a left-hander) playing a backhand, right-handed shot earlier this week at Sawgrass!:
https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12241763/the-players-robert-macintyre-nails-impossible-wrong-handed-chip-at-iconic-par-three-17th
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Phil Burr

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 09:41:31 AM »
Charles Owens, a right-handed player who played every shot left hand low.

David Ober

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 09:45:57 AM »
Two that immediately come to mind are:

Ed, "The Grip" Fiori

Paul Azinger

Both super strong left hands, and I believe Fiori was also ten-fingered.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 10:23:04 AM »
Just remembered another unorthodox grip ... Steve Jones, reverse overlap on all shots (due supposedly to a motorbike accident).
Curious thing about the Bob McI video Marty posted above is that as a lefty he could have played the shot conventionally!
Atb

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »
Cross-handed golfer Howard Wheeler won six national UGA (African American) golf championships at a time when blacks were prohibited from playing on the PGA tour.   He played in the US Open that Ben Hogan won at Merion in 1950.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 11:50:07 AM »
Just remembered another unorthodox grip ... Steve Jones, reverse overlap on all shots (due supposedly to a motorbike accident).
Curious thing about the Bob McI video Marty posted above is that as a lefty he could have played the shot conventionally!
Atb

Strangely, he’s using a right-handed club!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 01:13:20 PM »
Mac O’ Grady was plus from the right or port side and tried to enter the Chrysler Team Championship as both halves of the same team. I think he has the unusual part covered. :o

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 02:16:45 PM »
Bob Charles once said, "I stand on the right side of the ball and I hit the ball with the right side of the clubhead. As far as I am concerned, I play golf right-handed." ;)

John Emerson

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 08:13:03 PM »
I’m a 10 finger grip guy.  I’m curious how common it is.  There’s another guy with the same grip in my foursome but him and I are the only folks I’ve ever met that baseball grip.  Any others here?  And why?
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 05:03:51 AM »
When I lived in LA, I played maybe a dozen times at Chester Washington, and me and a friend got paired up with 2 older golfers. One of them, a guy named Danny was 81, was tall and skinny with no real club head speed left, which was fine at CW really. He started off hitting driver left handed on hole 1, then when he was chipping I glanced and he was right handed and the same for putting. I was thinking, wait I thought he was a lefty????
He said he is a natural lefty, but couldn't find clubs left handed in his wedges / putter when he was young, so he found some right handed wedges/putter and has done it ever since. God bless him.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back