News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Rose

Re: It's the pros... so I'll want to go easy; but still....
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2021, 08:26:26 PM »
SP what is a one on a par five called? Triple eagle? Emperor Penguin?

I believe it's called a Condor.

I've learned this playing mini-golf video games with my kids.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2021, 10:00:18 PM »
VK,
Didn't you ask if those strategies are available to us?  I have played that hole many times.  They are available if you play the correct tees.  Would you really go to Bay Hiill and play the tips (maybe once just for kicks but hopefully not every time). 

V. Kmetz

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 07:26:34 AM »
VK,
Didn't you ask if those strategies are available to us?  I have played that hole many times.  They are available if you play the correct tees.  Would you really go to Bay Hiill and play the tips (maybe once just for kicks but hopefully not every time).

In any prime, my Driver carry was no more than 250 yards... if you are telling me there's a tee for me to get within 100 -80 yard of a 475 - 500 yd hole, I'm starting to listen.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Mark_Fine

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2021, 07:37:29 AM »
VK,
There is.  Think of the hole as a clock with the green at 12.  The pros tee off at 6 and you could tee off at 3.  Much less water to carry but still basically the same hole.  Carry what you can. 

Some here have played the famous Mid Ocean course in Bermuda.  One of my favorite holes there is the 5th, the original Cape hole (at least it is claimed to be one of the first).  Today Bryson would probably try to drive the green.  It shows you how the game has changed but doesn't lessen the hole does it? 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:48:06 AM by Mark_Fine »

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2021, 07:50:40 AM »
I’ll just leave this here:
“Worst bunkers on tour, right there”.
F.

"Worst bunkers on tour, Mr. Palmer"
just imagine if he had been the one in the divot...

and he left out Billy Bunkers in his NASCAR answer to what it meant to win at Arnold's event. Could've at least mentioned Pennzoil.
Spoke to a guy who works at his sports management company last night, and asked if anyone ever actually coaches him on being less of a douche.
I backpedaled a bit and said he was obviously excited and nervous and we all could make similar mistakes, half expecting him to tell me I was wrong and that he was a great guy.
"Nope, he's not a very nice guy" was the response.
No doubt others will have anecdotal responses of how great he is, but man, you're leading, it's not your first rodeo (US Open Champ, Instagram star, multiple PGA Tour winner,exciting transformation story)
Gotta have some awareness the mics are on(bunker comments) and at least address the question about The King BEFORE rattling off your sponsor list.
a time and a place.
Can't help but think that costs him some fans, and some potential sponsor $.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve Lang

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2021, 11:17:53 AM »
F.

Spoke to a guy who works at his sports management company last night, and asked if anyone ever actually coaches him on being less of a douche.

Hey Jeff, I can't resist, ... who do you suggest?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

V. Kmetz

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2021, 11:27:26 AM »
VK,
There is.  Think of the hole as a clock with the green at 12.  The pros tee off at 6 and you could tee off at 3.  Much less water to carry but still basically the same hole.  Carry what you can. 

Some here have played the famous Mid Ocean course in Bermuda.  One of my favorite holes there is the 5th, the original Cape hole (at least it is claimed to be one of the first).  Today Bryson would probably try to drive the green.  It shows you how the game has changed but doesn't lessen the hole does it?

Then, as promised, I'm open to the architectural concept in play there... and uniquely, I have played Mid Ocean (26 years ago) and that 5th hole and the course was part of the origin of my deeper appreciation of GCA.... I'd love to go back as I can barely remember a thing in all that I've seen since then.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2021, 11:30:26 AM »
F.

Hey Jeff, I can't resist, ... who do you suggest?

His manager-whoever is assigned to his account?
He gets a lot of fan/sponsor support for putting himself out there.
Could just be an off the charts amount if he just tweaked the entitlement bitching a little?
Golf fans are very forgiving when there's a mea culpa.
Bryson deserves a ton of credit for what he's achieved as a player and a transformational figure(no pun intended)but a little guidance could go a long way.
It's not like he doesn't listen to experts on many,many other topics.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Ober

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2021, 11:33:11 AM »
F.

I actually pointed that out on Twitter to him. Absolute uncalled for cheap shot.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2021, 11:41:06 AM »
I actually pointed that out on Twitter to him. Absolute uncalled for cheap shot.

Perhaps it strays, goes too far... but based on the last two years, I would not like to play golf with him... I know some of it is his nature, but his running commentary against every fucking thing that impeded him...it's like everything is an affront; the ball mark, the grain, the wind, the ruling...everything is an attack.  He's doing well, god bless him...but players like that have been a bane in my golf life.

David Ober

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2021, 12:02:04 PM »

Perhaps it strays, goes too far... but based on the last two years, I would not like to play golf with him... I know some of it is his nature, but his running commentary against every fucking thing that impeded him...it's like everything is an affront; the ball mark, the grain, the wind, the ruling...everything is an attack.  He's doing well, god bless him...but players like that have been a bane in my golf life.

Agree, and I especially hate it because I used to be like that in my 20's. Definitely have some empathy for him, but it's just so hard to watch.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2021, 12:29:09 PM »

Agree, and I especially hate it because I used to be like that in my 20's. Definitely have some empathy for him, but it's just so hard to watch.

And the main thing (because I'm not going to be playing with him) is that I can't help but think there is some oxygen-stealing meltdown that's going to subsume the event...whether it's a dispute with a player or the crowd booing him for not going for something, or a ruling or his perception of unfair (to him) course condition... I just feel it brewing, but I don't know for sure.

I may have been like that in MY 20s, but probably not because playing partners of those years would have excoriated me and then used it to their competitive advantage...and I cleaned their clocks, on balance.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2021, 12:50:19 PM »
BDC is, and has always been, all about the “brand.”  Unlike other great players who evolved into developing a game, an attentive audience and marketing, BDC has plotted this path in an insufferable, egotistic and off-putting manner.

More root against him than for him, I suspect. And I also suspect that he thrives on this enmity.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 12:54:08 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tom_Doak

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2021, 01:08:09 PM »
BDC is, and has always been, all about the “brand.”  Unlike other great players who evolved into developing a game, an attentive audience and marketing, BDC has plotted this path in an insufferable, egotistic and off-putting manner.

More root against him than for him, I suspect. And I also suspect that he thrives on this enmity.

Apparently we understand "branding" differently.  Branding is about making yourself more marketable, and saying what the press and sponsors want you to say, and not about winning, isn't it?  Whereas for the guys who are more focused on winning tournaments, many don't really give a crap about being well liked. 

I don't see Bryson as thriving on enmity though, or he wouldn't come across as whinging about setbacks.

There are not many who put both sides together easily.  Even Nicklaus had trouble doing that in his twenties, though he had the disadvantage of bumping a legend from the throne.  The more Norman thought about his brand, the worse the results as a player.

JESII

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2021, 01:12:00 PM »
For context to the golf point of him actually driving it over the lake but still 75 yards right of the green...in 2001/2002 Hank Kuehne flew it onto the middle of the green with a similar wind to this weekend.

Hank is about 6'1" and 185 lbs.

Steve Lang

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2021, 05:37:21 PM »
 8)  Wasn't Hank a Taylormade guy?  Barely remember that shot being reported... I read it was in a practice round with Arnie & Andy Bean, they bet him dinner and gave him 3 tries...  only needed 2. 

edit

Where I read it, link to Golf Australia, 1Aug2015    https://pressreader.com/article/283317521117143

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:44:07 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

JESII

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2021, 06:21:06 PM »
Not sure Steve. I thought it was a casual round with no cameras.

mike_beene

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2021, 11:40:30 PM »
I have posted this before but at least want to put this out: I do not know BDC but have seen him around and he is very courteous. He did a clinic for the kids at my club and stayed several hours past the end of the commitment visiting and helping them. When I have those negative thoughts I go back to that. The ruling request and painful putting stance are a different thing...

mike_beene

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2021, 11:44:55 PM »
We should complain the day they put a drop circle 40 yards right of green and local rule any tee ball in water has drop circle option. I am getting an old ball out

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2021, 12:54:47 PM »
I have posted this before but at least want to put this out: I do not know BDC but have seen him around and he is very courteous. He did a clinic for the kids at my club and stayed several hours past the end of the commitment visiting and helping them. When I have those negative thoughts I go back to that. The ruling request and painful putting stance are a different thing...

Mike,

Even the worst people in the world have their shining moments from time to time.  I think the best measure is one taken in the aggregate. Even thou I'm no fan of BDC, I will stay tuned to what happens next...I mean Lord knows how long that swing will hold up until he falls in a heap on a tee box somewhere.

P.S. But I do give him all the credit in the world for defying conventional wisdoms and charting his own course, especially given that it at least appears to be a analytical/science based approach.

Steve Lang

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2021, 01:47:32 PM »
 8)  Kalen,

If BDC keeps following Roskopf's muscle activation science ("Muscle Tightness is Muscle Weakness") properly, he'll likely sustain things longer than most think possible.  Guess we'll see...

http://muscleactivation.com/our-founder/

The voice of Inverness"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2021, 03:08:19 PM »
8)  Kalen,

If BDC keeps following Roskopf's muscle activation science ("Muscle Tightness is Muscle Weakness") properly, he'll likely sustain things longer than most think possible.  Guess we'll see...

http://muscleactivation.com/our-founder/

Its not the muscles that will likely give way or falter, its the connective tissue, tendons, joints, small bones, etc that would be the concern.  BDC is 27 and I don't doubt he can sustain this until his mid 30s, but after that...  and his swing makes other big hitters look tame by comparison.

P.S.  I'd be curious how many golfers sustained a high level of play with vicious swings once they got in thier 40s?  Perhaps John Daly or Greg Norman?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back