News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Tsunami Alert in New Zealand
« on: March 04, 2021, 05:12:04 PM »
(CNN)New Zealand's emergency agency has told residents in some areas to head for higher ground after a powerful earthquake struck the Kermadec Islands region early Friday, sparking fears of a tsunami.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/world/new-zealand-quake-tsunami-warning-intl/index.html

Although the area around Te Arai and Mangawhai is not specifically mentioned, it appears that Tara Iti is at risk here.  The areas under immediate evacuation are between the Bay of Islands and Whangarei, which is a few dozen miles north, and the Great Barrier Island, which is due east by 30-50 miles.  I hope this is a false alarm.  Currently, the land at Tara Iti is considered "under assessment".

https://twitter.com/NZcivildefence/status/1367562633688227843/photo/1

Tom_Doak

Re: Tsunami Alert in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 05:17:32 PM »
Yikes!  I will let you know when I hear something from them down there.

MKrohn

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 05:43:18 PM »
The Japanese have built a 400km wall post the 2011 tsunami

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFmd6AAPDvo

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 06:20:32 PM »
as i type the 1-3 meter waves were anticipated about 3 hours ago, and continuing. The tsunami alert for Hawaii from these earthquakes has been dropped.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 06:22:14 PM »
(CNN)New Zealand's emergency agency has told residents in some areas to head for higher ground after a powerful earthquake struck the Kermadec Islands region early Friday, sparking fears of a tsunami.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/world/new-zealand-quake-tsunami-warning-intl/index.html

Although the area around Te Arai and Mangawhai is not specifically mentioned, it appears that Tara Iti is at risk here.  The areas under immediate evacuation are between the Bay of Islands and Whangarei, which is a few dozen miles north, and the Great Barrier Island, which is due east by 30-50 miles.  I hope this is a false alarm.  Currently, the land at Tara Iti is considered "under assessment".

https://twitter.com/NZcivildefence/status/1367562633688227843/photo/1

The parts under warning on the coast of NZ are  also home to thousands of people

Apologies but I'm sure right now they give zero fucks about Tara iti

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 07:11:34 PM »

The parts under warning on the coast of NZ are  also home to thousands of people

Yes, of course, Grant.  This is a golf course website, and if a significant tsunami hits the Tara Iti golf course, it might be washed away.   

Grant Saunders

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 08:22:16 PM »

Yes, of course, Grant.  This is a golf course website, and if a significant tsunami hits the Tara Iti golf course, it might be washed away.

Sure, this is a golf site

A significant tsunami to that part of the country would wipe out courses such as Waipu, Omokoroa, Mercury Bay, Tairua, Pauanui, Ahipara, Mount Maunganui, Ohope, Whakatane, Mahia and many others

That would have exponentially more significance to the game in NZ than losing Tara Iti

I get your sentiments but it would be nice if the rest of the golfing world appreciated there is far more to this country than a handful of American centric high end resort courses

Ash Towe

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 08:25:19 PM »
The emergency is now over.

No reports of any damage.

Daryl David

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 11:36:06 PM »
I get your sentiments but it would be nice if the rest of the golfing world appreciated there is far more to this country than a handful of American centric high end resort courses

What exactly is an “American centric high end resort course”? I thought Tara Iti was private.  Is there a list of American centric courses we could peruse in order to know what courses to avoid?  (That is if foreigners are allowed to visit NZ some day)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 11:49:46 PM »

What exactly is an “American centric high end resort course”? I thought Tara Iti was private.  Is there a list of American centric courses we could peruse in order to know what courses to avoid?  (That is if foreigners are allowed to visit NZ some day)

You should know that some courses in Oregon are private, but have to have a lodging component, where guests of the lodging have access to the course. Perhaps this could be considered "American centric high end resort". My understanding is that Tetherow is one such course, and that there are others in the Bend, OR area that are under similar structure.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 05:14:13 AM »
I don’t know about “American centric” but the only Tara Iti member I know lives in California.
Cave Nil Vino

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 11:02:04 AM »
Bill Coore was there last week.  I didn't see any social media postings but imagine he was a little shaken.

8.1 closer to land would cause almost complete destruction.

jeffwarne

Re: Tsunami Alert in New Zealand New
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 10:29:36 AM »

Sure, this is a golf site

A significant tsunami to that part of the country would wipe out courses such as Waipu, Omokoroa, Mercury Bay, Tairua, Pauanui, Ahipara, Mount Maunganui, Ohope, Whakatane, Mahia and many others

That would have exponentially more significance to the game in NZ than losing Tara Iti

I will agree with you that NZ has a lot more to offer than just a few high end golf courses(on both the golf front and in general-one of my favorite places in the world)

I'd love to hear more on this website about all of those courses, especially the many "country" courses. many of which I walked or played....while in NZ for an event put together at Tara Iti, by Tom Doak, a significant stakeholder at Tara Iti and an active participant of this site-so I'd say info about Tara Iti re: a potential disaster would be a relevant starting point on this golf website.
Sure Tara Iti may well be "American centric", but if it's a gateway to all the other golf gems and other wonders of NZ, what's the problem with a poster only mentioning a place somewhere at least one of us has a vested interest in?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 08:01:47 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back