News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Ok, so it must have not gone unnoticed that during the AT&T, a slew of players were taking Driver up into the wispy rough (and random flat areas) between 6 and 8, 30 yards left of the fairway bunkers, near and even left of the cart path... the thought being they get better sight and angle from there, with a reduction of disaster from the right side of the hole.

This drew comment from the GC/CBS gang of many stripes, some decrying how it "defeats" the architecture of the hole... some saying, it's fine, let them find folly or success and go from there...some saying the current presentation doesn't give enough advantage to the fairway path.. some said grow wild Open like rough up there...some even said put up OB stakes between 6 and 8.

What's your take?
  • Is this a genuine sign of decay in GCA integrity/intent by tech?
  • Needs a fix? What?
  • This is all about pros, so largely ignore?
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

mike_beene

Re: What's the Rightful Response - Pebble Beach 6th "Thought Experiment"
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 10:50:36 PM »
Could you fix it by cutting the rough to the right of the green so there would be nothing to stop the ball from going over the edge? Then the angle is more dangerous. I can’t remember how much cushion there is right of green.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 10:54:54 PM »
Could you fix it by cutting the rough to the right of the green so there would be nothing to stop the ball from going over the edge? Then the angle is more dangerous. I can’t remember how much cushion there is right of green.

I like any idea that doesn't change structure, just horticulture, but as I asked/said...I'm undecided it's really even a problem or sign of something.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 10:57:37 PM »
Not sure it’s a problem. I can’t think of an uphill par 5 in the world I like better.

JMEvensky

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 05:22:57 AM »
Wouldn't the simplest fix be allowing the gallery to be there?

archie_struthers

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 07:28:06 AM »
 8)

The "Hinkle Tree", ugly as it was, worked. THis seems pretty simple as you could just sprinkle some fescue seed and surely end the strategy. Would probably look good too.

We don't talk much about alternate fairways on site but they are a factor in doing a routing.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 08:04:40 AM »
   We actually created the same problem at my club by taking down trees on our 15th hole. Instead of a 385 yard dogleg left, we now have an option to play the hole down an adjacent fairway as a dogleg right. The alternative route shortens the hole by maybe 20 yards and takes the creek on the right side out of play. It does offer a less attractive angle into the green.
   No one likes the idea of an internal out of bounds, so the only solution seems to be putting back some trees.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:23:22 AM by Jim_Coleman »

JESII

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 08:20:56 AM »
At Pebble, what do the numbers say? Did more or less go for the green? What was the s prong differential?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 08:55:29 AM »
What's your take?
  • Is this a genuine sign of decay in GCA integrity/intent by tech?
  • Needs a fix? What?
  • This is all about pros, so largely ignore?

It's the law of unintended consequences, and the result of the last change to the hole.

Back in the day this was not a problem.  The fairway bunkers didn't pinch in quite so much, and they didn't mow the fairway all the way over the edge of the cliff, at the USGA's suggestion.  Those changes affected the balance of strategy on the hole:  there is way more chance a ball will keep rolling until it goes over the edge of the cliff, instead of a rolling ball getting caught up in the ten feet of rough that used to be there.  And pinching the bunkers in made it safer to go left of them than right of them.

My guess is if they shifted the fairway ten feet to the left and had a bit of rough on the right side, this wouldn't be a problem.  Plus none of the maintenance workers would have to worry about falling to their death.  Or, they could grow the rough deeper, add more bunkers, and keep defiling the hole.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 11:00:37 AM »
I missed the action on 6 this year....

My thought would be add a few trees up in that area, where it would be a gamble proposition.  You could hit it there and be fine, or be stymied behind one of them.

P.S.  Assuming there will be crowds occupying that spot next year, would there by any penalty for intentionally hitting into the crowd? Even if you grew rough, it would be trampled down anyways...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back