News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Streamsong vs. World Woods
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 06:25:36 PM »
Joel,

I think the point is understood, but I don't think the GCA crowd is trailer averse, especially when those savings are passed along to the golfer.

P.S. I can think of a prominent course on the Oregon coastline that also had a trailer for a clubhouse...for quite a while!  ;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2021, 06:56:28 PM »
Joel,

I think the point is understood, but I don't think the GCA crowd is trailer averse, especially when those savings are passed along to the golfer.

P.S. I can think of a prominent course on the Oregon coastline that also had a trailer for a clubhouse...for quite a while!  ;)

....they don't have a trailer. They have a modest clubhouse that is perfect.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2021, 07:23:08 PM »
I will ditto Joel's comments about WW.  Had played there 10 years ago and again last year. The deterioration in every aspect of the property was evident.  It just seemed extremely run down in every way.  Played Pine Barrens and as I recall conditions had also deteriorated.  Had planned on playing a second day and decided not to.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2021, 07:44:33 PM »
Joel,

....they don't have a trailer. They have a modest clubhouse that is perfect.

I love that clubhouse.  And the servers there are good and they get you fed nicely on the way to another fun 18 holes.  I love WW!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Greg Tallman

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2021, 10:57:51 AM »
If only the owners of WW had accepted the offer tendered by Mike Keiser years back I’m sure this discussion would be quite different.

Unfortunately WW has gone down hill nearly from the get go. Still an enjoyable golf experience but more a “what could have been” scenario.

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2021, 11:12:12 AM »
If only the owners of WW had accepted the offer tendered by Mike Keiser years back I’m sure this discussion would be quite different.

Unfortunately WW has gone down hill nearly from the get go. Still an enjoyable golf experience but more a “what could have been” scenario.

This is an age old debate, and often comes up when proposals are made to renovate $20 muni golf.
I'm sure the owner of WW had great plans when he built the place.

That said, had Keiser, or any other successful developer gotten the project, the course WOULD be a more reasonable comparison to Streamsong.
But many people that cannot afford Streamsong or Bandon CAN afford WW, and therefore it fills a niche.
Unlike Joel, who has been on the ground quite recently, I haven't been there for a couple of years.
But it was always conditioned well enough, the clubhouse was perfect and it was somewhere I'd prefer to go over other higher end options regardless of price-but especially for many BECAUSE of price.
Sure it may need a bit of TLC and hopefully something is done to sustain the place, but I for one would NOT prefer it to be a comparable experience to other high end resorts.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rob Marshall

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2021, 11:28:47 AM »
I believe originally either Marriott or Hilton was supposed to build a hotel there.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Greg Tallman

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2021, 11:49:49 AM »
Rob, the original business model was to emulate Pinehurst. The property (original property) was a massive tract of land and at least 5 courses were in the original model I believe. Either way the owners abandoned that idea early on and have never done much with the place.

The right ownership, with deep pockets, could have made this one of the better golf developments in the coutry. Still could. Amazed nobody has snapped it up. Current owners need to be realistic about the value of the property which is basically farm land in the middle of nowhere with a current business that probably makes a very small profit or breaks even on an annual basis.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2021, 12:12:48 PM »
I remember running into a bunch of TOUR players when it opened. They had a great practice area and for many of the younger players it was a great inexpensive place to practice.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2021, 06:29:45 PM »
I'm in Pinehurst tonight and question from dinner: Pinehurst or Streamsong? I said definitely Streamsong October through April. I think Streamsong is the best modern resort complex in the East.

Would like to hear from others.

Pinehurst.

To me, this is a question that depends on when in the year you are going.

While the golf is different in both places, I like both. Pinehurst is certainly more of a charming place with the number of businesses, restaurants, etc.

If I was look at going at any point between mid-December and mid-February, I would probably go to Streamsong. The odds of warmer weather is much greater. It can certainly get chilly at Streamsong - I played Super Bowl Sunday last year in several layers and a winter hat - but you're probably going to be able to play.

You can get great winter days in NC, but you can also get garbage days and potentially even snow.

But if I was looking to make a spring or fall trip, I'd certainly go to Pinehurst.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2021, 09:00:37 AM »
Both SS and WW offer excellent golf experiences at very different budgets. I have been playing WW since it first opened in 1993. I was immediately impressed with variety of golf amenities: 36-holes of championship caliber Fazio golf, a 9-hole short course, 3 practice holes, 4-sided driving range, alternative driving range and a 1 acre putting green. My first impression was that it was Disney World for a golfer! The small clubhouse works very well and the food is consistently very good. It is unfortunate that the owner was unable to complete the master plan which included more golf and a destination resort lodging component. There were also plans to develop a nearby residential community.

Yes, the old girl is showing her age but aren't we all. Management does an excellent job with the budget they are provided and the Club provides one of the best golfing values in FL.

SS is wonderful however it is positioned at a much higher market niche (read price point). SS prices out the average golfer while WW welcomes them. I do not think you can go wrong with either facility. great golf either way!

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2021, 11:21:33 AM »
Love how every golf message board in the world talks about how cheap World Woods is.  The main reason is they have an owner who has run it into the ground, hasn't been on property for 5 years, is now 88 years old and will only sell if he can get out for what he put into it 30 years ago.   There is room for a 3rd course.

Comparing the two properties is ridiculous. The vibe and style are completely different.  With that said, having played all 5 courses, World Woods Pine Barrens would be my favorite if it was restored or renovated.  I posted quite a few photos on my Instagram page showing what it looks like now compared to 30 years ago.  The differences are shocking, and its all because  its not properly maintained due to limited budget and staffing.

I have played these courses several times. And I agree, although the resorts are incomparable, my favorite would be WW Pine Barrens too. Great lay-out on a very nice piece of land. The short par 5 4th belongs to my all time favorite holes. Beautiful and risk and reward at its best. It's almost ten years ago since I visited WW the last time. Pity to hear that maintenance is on such a low level. 

Jeff Schley

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2021, 11:45:57 AM »
Which logo is better?
or

Not a hard decision for me.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

jeffwarne

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2021, 12:59:01 PM »
Which logo is better?
or

Not a hard decision for me.

Shouldn't the WW logo have a few trees in the ocean?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Lou_Duran

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2021, 03:13:27 PM »
It is regrettable that WW owners have not protected their assets better.  I've played each course twice, nine years apart, and experiencing the deterioration was inescapable.  Two very different courses and still enjoyable in 2017, perhaps if they were more ordinary the decline would not have been as noticeable.

As others have noted, Streamsong and WW are not comparable.  The three courses at Streamsong being new are more contemporary, not to consider that they were built by the three highest regarded architects/designers on this site.  Even without consideration to price and value, the two properties don't compete in my estimation.

Golf is a big world and there is a place for both.  With good ownership, I think that WW might have more upside as there are a lot more golfers like me who have a hard time enjoying golf at $1,000+ per day.  I also didn't care for the abundant bad lies off the fairway and in the bunkers, which appeared to be the result of the extra-fine sandy phosphate byproduct.     

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back