News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett Wiesley

Punta Brava Golf and Surf Club
« on: February 01, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »
Is this place happening?  There were winds of talk in 2008, Tiger Woods to lead design.... Then nothing.  I just came across this promotional video made by Harris Kalinka.  It is a cgi produced flyover promo video.  The Punta Banda Peninsula is about 2.5 hours south of San Diego and the land-meets-sea is very cool.

www.puntabrava.com

www.harriskalinka.com/work/punta-brava-golf-and-surf-club/

Scott Weersing

Re: Punta Brava Golf and Surf Club
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 09:38:59 AM »
Tom Doak mentioned in a Fried Egg podcast that they will be working on this course in 2023 and it will take 12 to 16 months to build.

So will Tiger Woods Design ever have a third course (after Payne's Valley and Bluejack National?). Peter Hay is a renovation.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 03:17:24 PM »
There was a routing done by Tiger's group way back when. I am sure Tom will come up with something quite different but am curious how much will be dictated by the severe site.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110106103412/http://web.tigerwoods.com/design/img/punta_brava_rendering.pdf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 08:25:23 PM »
There was a routing done by Tiger's group way back when. I am sure Tom will come up with something quite different but am curious how much will be dictated by the severe site.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110106103412/http://web.tigerwoods.com/design/img/punta_brava_rendering.pdf

Tiger's [or Beau Welling's] routing was pretty good, and they sorted through a lot of other options, I'm told.  As you mention, it is a severe site, and since there is a housing component, too, the options for changing the routing were somewhat limited.  The circulation is still pretty much the same as before, but

1) a bunch of the green sites are different [1, 3, 5, 8, 11, 14, 15, 18 on this plan]

2) the 10th hole was sacrificed to accommodations and a beach club, replaced by a new hole after what is #12 on this map

3) the sequence of the back nine changes, so the new 10-15 are 11, 14, 15, 12, the new par-3 hole, and 13 as shown on the old map [with some greens and tees moved], which improves the walk.  It's just going to be a cart ride or shuttle from 9 to 10, otherwise very walkable.

The finishing stretch from 14 winds up being par 3-5-3-3-5.   :)

It's a spectacular project -- I saw the site years ago and fell in love with it -- but it came back around kind of last minute, after some of our other projects had been pushed back due to permitting issues. 

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 10:36:21 PM »

The finishing stretch from 14 winds up being par 3-5-3-3-5.   :)

Thanks for summarizing your intended changes, Tom, and for Kyle linking to the original plan. 

I already look forward to the Point Hardy and Punta Brava comparisons that will undoubtedly occur on this site. A Coore/Crenshaw and Doak tale of the tape on Atlantic and Pacific tropics, with approximately 6 coastal holes a piece, both with 16th and 17th par 3s. 

MacKenzie would be proud. Although Tom already has a back to back pair on the Pacific!
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 07:27:22 AM »

I already look forward to the Point Hardy and Punta Brava comparisons that will undoubtedly occur on this site. A Coore/Crenshaw and Doak tale of the tape on Atlantic and Pacific tropics, with approximately 6 coastal holes a piece, both with 16th and 17th par 3s.

I hadn’t even thought of that, but I won’t bother making comparisons before anybody has seen either course.

However Punta Brava does have eight holes where you can hit a ball in the ocean (2, 4, 9, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18) and on some of them you’ll have multiple opportunities.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 08:37:59 AM »
Tom

Wondering couldn't 16th be a risk and reward short par 4 and 17th a short par 3? they look too similar in terms of distance on the TW/Beau plans.

16th green could be where the 17th tees are on TW/Beau plans.

Cheers
Ben

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 04:03:46 PM »

Wondering couldn't 16th be a risk and reward short par 4 and 17th a short par 3? they look too similar in terms of distance on the TW/Beau plans.

16th green could be where the 17th tees are on TW/Beau plans.

17 tee is on an island; that would make a pretty difficult target for the second shot, especially off a downhill lie.

I think 16 will wind up being quite a bit shorter than 17 when we are through.  The other three “short” holes are pretty long.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back