News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Ocean Course@Ponte Vedra Inn (1928) Weed Renovation
« on: January 12, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »
In mid-September, Ponte Vedra Inn and Club reopened its iconic Ocean Course — one of Florida’s oldest existing layouts — after being closed almost a year due to renovations. The golden age design once tapped for the Ryder Cup in the late 1930s received an $8 million facelift late last year, marking the third major restoration in its 93-year history.
Overseen by architect Bobby Weed, the project led to significant course and practice facility enhancements. Along with The Lodge and Club Ponte Vedra Beach, the Ocean Course hugs 1.5 miles of Atlantic Ocean coastline located 30 minutes outside of Jacksonville. Originally designed by renowned British architect Bobby Strong, the course also underwent major renovations in 1947 (Robert Trent Jones) and 1998 (Bobby Weed and MacCurrach Golf Construction). 
https://www.morningread.com/where-to-golf-next/feature/2021-01-11/keeping-bobby-jones-words-true
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joel_Stewart

Re: Ocean Course@Ponte Vedra Inn (1928) Weed Renovation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 05:56:48 PM »
"As the project rolled out, the club gave Weed carte blanche to redesign as he saw fit."

That's pretty much all I had to read. So much for a 90 year old course.

Thad Layton

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 11:01:36 PM »
Would it change your opinion to know that he's renovating his prior renovation of 20+ years ago?

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 06:56:12 AM »
Would it change your opinion to know that he's renovating his prior renovation of 20+ years ago?

I always find these sorts of renovations interesting. I think that its a tell tail sign how far we have come as golfers to understand the original architects intent, but also can show how some architects have evolved. I want to believe that when clubs believe that they have a course with architectural merit, they want to return it to those roots.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Paul OConnor

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 08:53:49 PM »
Played the Ocean Course at Ponte Vedra this week, would highly recommend if you're near Jax.
Turf has finally grown in from the renovation, and the greens are great, true fast and really firm. 
Tons of fun around the greens with tight lies and tricky chips, reminds me a bit of Seaside up at Sea Island. 

You can actually see the Ocean only once, from the 18th tee. 

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 09:02:59 PM »
I didn't see Herbert Strong's name in any of this cause the one time they tried, they called him Bobby Strong  ;D , but sad.

Ran started a thread here on called "Golf Architecture's Forgotten Genius" about Herbert Strong. I'm looking forward to restoring one of his courses over the next few years. Ponte Vedra looked to be another one of his best.
 https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=5755.0;nowap

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 06:56:00 AM »
Played the Ocean Course at Ponte Vedra this week, would highly recommend if you're near Jax.
Turf has finally grown in from the renovation, and the greens are great, true fast and really firm. 
Tons of fun around the greens with tight lies and tricky chips, reminds me a bit of Seaside up at Sea Island. 

You can actually see the Ocean only once, from the 18th tee. 

So it was a turfovation? ;)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 07:30:47 AM »
I'm hoping to play there in early June.  Not expecting much Herb Strong left.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back