News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Billsteele

Re: Midwest USA GCA Knockout 2021
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2021, 11:21:00 AM »
If there is still room, please count me in. Columbus, Ohio. Thanks. Bill Steele

Jeff Schley

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2021, 12:59:36 AM »
Got a bigger group than I thought, so hope we can get this done considering the pandemic and restrictions. I'll volunteer hosting two matches (first and second round) a weekend I'm home in July/Aug at my club in Chicago. I think this is a good way to get matches done efficiently considering the restrictions if we can.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Nate Oxman

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2021, 10:35:40 PM »
Is there something similar to this in the northeast region that is put on by another gca’er?  I’m in Delaware

John, we tried to run one in the northeast maybe five years ago or so but it flamed out.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2021, 04:16:02 PM »
I'm in. Columbus, Ohio, but I'm willing to travel anywhere as needed.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

JReese

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2021, 03:59:29 PM »
Here is the 2021 Bracket.....it took me 3 attempts to complete so let me know if you see any errors.  This year instead of randomly drawing based on location, I just went by order of signing up.  As in previous years we will try to get round 1 completed by the first of June round 2 by first of July etc.  I do like Jeff's idea of playing the 1st and 2nd round matches the same day to help move the bracket along.  Hopefully things get back to normal and everyone will be able to play their matches.  Good Luck!     - James

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:01:01 PM by JReese »
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2021, 09:52:47 AM »
I suspect Thurman and I would be looking to do our match outside of our home club. It'd be cool to meet up with another match or so, if it could be arranged.

Between my kids' soccer and my own coaching ambitions, my weekends through May are shot, and they have practice Monday through Thursday.

Fridays are WIDE open though. 😁

JReese

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2021, 10:54:01 AM »

This year the bracket was hard to complete as there were only a handful of participants in the same area not in/near Chicago.  I think next year I may completely randomize the first round pairings although it will likely result in some added drive time....with 3 months to schedule the match it hopefully wouldn't be an issue.  Again, if anyone has any suggestions/ideas on how to improve the KO let me know.     - James

I suspect Thurman and I would be looking to do our match outside of our home club. It'd be cool to meet up with another match or so, if it could be arranged.

Between my kids' soccer and my own coaching ambitions, my weekends through May are shot, and they have practice Monday through Thursday.

Fridays are WIDE open though. 😁
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Josh Bills

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2021, 09:44:39 AM »
I was fortunate to host Bill Steele and one part of the Jason Thurman/Criss Titschinger match at Urbana Country Club on Friday.  Jason was able to join us as a spectator.  Despite being my home club, the 12 pops Bill had were just enough to beat me 2 and 1.  Bill played well and I knew I was in trouble on the first hole when Bill hit a running shot over the front left mound on the first green which then proceeded to circle around and trickle back down the slope behind the pin leaving him about 3 feet for birdie.  Apparently he likes PB Dye surrounds and played them beautifully all day.  The course was in great shape and recent work by PB on the course and to the clubhouse have Urbana CC in wonderful shape.  Todd Sims the Superintendent always has the course in great condition. 

The company is what makes the Knockout so enjoyable and I would welcome them both back any time.  I appreciate the opportunity to enjoy the company of like minded individuals.  Good luck to Brian and Bill in the next round. 

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2021, 06:26:09 PM »
Shel and I were fortunate to play our match today at a neutral site and a really enjoyable course--Westmoreland. Shel was out of practice and didn't have his A game, allowing me to advance in the bracket. But it was great to play a really good course with great company.

For a Chicago-area course, Westmoreland has a lot of interesting movement in the land, and the routing makes great use of it. The greens are all different and interesting. And the bunkers are perhaps the most challenging, penal bunkers I've seen on a parkland course. The fairway bunkers are really well positioned, they dictate the strategy on every hole, and they're at least a half-shot penalty if you find one.

Thank you, Shel, for a great day. Let's play again soon!

SL_Solow

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2021, 06:35:04 PM »
Anthony is too kind.  I played poorly but he played very well as usual and would have been tough to beat on any day.  I agree with hs analysis and I am looking forward to playing again soon.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2021, 11:16:11 PM »
My wife, live commentary, as I explain to her the Midwest Knockout:

You guys are insane.

I never went to my gym again when I moved and it became 12 minutes from my house.
You guys seriously drive 4 hours to stand in a vaguely different field of grass?

Your obsession with playing golf with strangers. I don't even think it's safe. If golf courses were like our Kroger I honestly wouldn't let you go do this without someone you know watching.

This is the whitest thing I've ever heard of. You guys. With your pants.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2021, 07:30:56 AM »
You guys seriously drive 4 hours to stand in a vaguely different field of grass?
I mean, yeah. She's not wrong.

Jason and I played our match yesterday at our home club, Miami View Golf Club, a few miles outside Cincinnati, OH. My golf of late has been non-existent, thanks to having two kids in select soccer, and I myself pursuing soccer coaching. Mid-life crisis? Perhaps. A couple of range sessions within the last two weeks allowed me to get out to a quick 3up lead after 3. However, my rust showed up big time from holes 7 through 12, all of which Jason won; eventually finishing me off 4&3. Probably for the best, as I don't really have time to go deep in this tournament this year.

GCA conversation around Miami View is more recently known for its interesting water feature installed on its short par 3 11th. I was certainly not a fan of such a deviation from the master plan that's barely had its ink dried. And as Jason told me of potentially more master plan deviations, one of which to perhaps my favorite hole on the course, I just cringed. Our club does have people who are more knowledgeable with course architecture, so maybe we can stick to the plan a bit better going forwards.

What I did take out of yesterday's round was I underappreciate Miami View's greens. This after hundreds of plays. At first, they look fairly mundane and don't appear to present much of a challenge. However, there is a lot of subtle movement, and being in the right position on or off the green really matters. Yes, they're a bit small when compared with others in town; but it fits the course.

Good luck to the remaining participants!

Billsteele

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2021, 07:15:17 PM »
Brian Laurent and I played our match today. Brian was kind enough to set up our round at the Country Club at Muirfield Village. TCCMV is a sporty golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus across the street from Muirfield Village Golf Club. It is not as punishing as the course which hosts the Memorial but does provide a reasonable challenge. Like many Nicklaus courses, the corridors of play are fairly generous but the occasional water hazard and strategically placed bunkers can complicate a round. By virtue of the enormous amount of shots that I receive from my handicap, I was able to defeat Brian 1 up with a lucky/miraculous par on the 18th hole (which involved a ball skipping over a pond and a lucky chip to within two or three feet of the cup). Brian is a fine player and deserved a better fate. He is also a great guy and we had a terrific time. I am always amazed at the generous nature of the inhabitants of this site. Brian is no exception and I look forward to my next round with him.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2021, 08:54:38 PM »
Enjoyed our match today, Bill. Took my best round of the year to take you to 18! Always a joy getting out on the course with you and hope to do it again soon. Best of luck the rest of the way!
Brian Laurent and I played our match today. Brian was kind enough to set up our round at the Country Club at Muirfield Village. TCCMV is a sporty golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus across the street from Muirfield Village Golf Club. It is not as punishing as the course which hosts the Memorial but does provide a reasonable challenge. Like many Nicklaus courses, the corridors of play are fairly generous but the occasional water hazard and strategically placed bunkers can complicate a round. By virtue of the enormous amount of shots that I receive from my handicap, I was able to defeat Brian 1 up with a lucky/miraculous par on the 18th hole (which involved a ball skipping over a pond and a lucky chip to within two or three feet of the cup). Brian is a fine player and deserved a better fate. He is also a great guy and we had a terrific time. I am always amazed at the generous nature of the inhabitants of this site. Brian is no exception and I look forward to my next round with him.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Dan Moore

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2021, 11:13:10 AM »
Hi Jason,

I just read your wife's comments to my wife. She wants to meet your wife.

Dan
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

John McCarthy

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2021, 08:13:58 AM »
Ryan Taylor v. McCarthy went off yesterday afternoon at Blue Mound Golf and County Club outside Milwaukee yesterday. 

It was both of our first time at BMGCC.  We were blown away.  The conditions were perfect.  The course was dry, large bounces were had, there was a one-club wind and the greens were fast but very playable. The course was somewhat crowded but everyone kept a sub-4 hour round (our 2 ball match took 3.5).  The greens are the largest I have ever seen, we counted at least a dozen maybe up to 18 pinning sites on the Double Plateau 2d.  As noted in Ran's profile the par 3s really sing the song out there.  The Redan is truly heroic - even if I ended up in a bunker behind the giant kick-plate on the right. 

The match was a back and forth affair and we made the turn with Ryan up 3.  My driver started working, my handicap helped a lot and I found the fairway on the Long 18th, Ryan found the hay.  So I won 1 and 0. 

Ryan is the one who got us on there so much thanks to him. All in all, a great day of golf on an amazing golf course under ideal conditions.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »
Mr Freeman and I played at Chicago Highlands on Tuesday.  It was a perfect day and we had a great time. 

He was playing lights out early and had me on the ropes, but I slowly clawed my way back to close out the match on 16.

-Joe

George Freeman

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2021, 07:36:44 AM »
Joe M. and I played yesterday on a beautiful day at Joe’s club Chicago Highlands.  After I went 3-up through seven holes, Joe found his groove (I lost mine) and proceeded to trounce me for the next eight holes, closing me out on the 16th green.  I am second guessing my acceptance of Joe’s (seemingly gracious) offer to host, making it a home game for my opponent on a course requiring plenty of local knowledge.  I’ll file that one in the memory bank for future Knockouts.  To paraphrase Happy Gilmore:  there are only 364 days until next year’s Knockout, so I better get to work.  J

It had been 6-7 years since I had played Chicago Highlands and I feel like I owe the course an apology.  I was always less harsh on the course than most “architecture forward” folks (read:  the GCA.com crew), but I still don’t think I gave it a fair shot based on preconceived notions regarding A. Hills, landfill courses, etc.  I can still see myself nodding in agreement with statements like:  “why the hell would they hire Art Hills?”  “what a lost opportunity!”  “OMG the mounding…”  “just think what Doak or C&C would have done with this site!” 

I had a more open mind this time around and found myself thoroughly enjoying the course.  Does it have the “minimalist/naturalist” aesthetic that we all love?  No.  Does it look like it has been there for 200 years, shaped by the forces of nature with only a few minor touch-ups from the hand of man?  Not in the least.  But what it does have in spades in a uniqueness and an identity unlike almost any course I’ve played – much different than anything in Chicagoland.  The designers clearly tried to create something different, and I appreciate that, even if in my opinion (or others) it didn’t work perfectly in every instance.  What I liked about Chicago Highlands:  (as previously mentioned) unique, one-of-a-kind holes that you really can’t find anywhere else (#2, 9, 13, 14, etc.); width/wide corridors; firm turf; wind! (probably the windiest golf site in Chicago); interesting greens/ green complexes/surrounds (#1, 2, 4, 7, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15); shared fairways.  I found myself constantly saying to Joe:  “you’re not going to see another hole/green like this in Chicago.”  With an open mind, it would be very hard not to have a good time playing this golf course…

The evolution of one’s thoughts about a golf course, or golf architecture in general, is always interesting to ponder and reflect on.  I know my own have changed quite a bit over the years.  My day at Chicago Highlands was a great example of this.     
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 11:00:56 AM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Bill Seitz

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2021, 12:27:01 AM »
Joe is nails on his home course.  I'm taking him to Kingsley next time we have to play a match.

Highlands has some holes that are a little problematic, but it's a good test.  My issues with it are mostly aesthetic, with a wild, free flowing tee box on the first, followed by completely squared off boxes a hole or two later.  A bit schizophrenic.  But I always have a good time there.

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2021, 07:24:06 PM »
Brad Hill and I had a really enjoyable match today at Mammoth Dunes. Neither of us had our A-game, but we had a great time, and I was fortunate to advance in the bracket.

Most of you probably know Mammoth well so there's probably not much need to discuss the architectural merits of the course. It's perhaps the grandest, most scenically beautiful course in the world that's not on the ocean. It's also really really fun to play. On the other hand, it's so wide and so playable that it tends to require less thinking and strategy compared to its sister course.

Although Mammoth tends to be user-friendly, the strong winds, tough pins, and intense pressure of a GCA match, haha, meant that good scores were fairly elusive. Nobody in our group scared the course record, but we had a blast.

JReese

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2021, 07:46:21 PM »
Last Saturday I was on the receiving end of a beat down at Ken's home course South Bend Country Club.  The lead was mine after 1 and then the wheels came off.  Neither of us played particularly well, but Ken at his worst is equivalent to my game at its best. 

Ken is a great host and South Bend is an absolute blast to play.  Looking at the scorecard and standing on the first tee, the course looks like it would be fairly easy to post a decent number.  The course's main defense are it's very tricky greens (which play much more difficult than they appear) and complexes, which if you miss on the wrong side there is almost no chance of getting down in 2.  The course is on a great piece of property with many drives and approaches playing pretty severely up or down hill. 

Overall SBCC was probably one of the most fun courses I have played and would jump at the chance to play there again.  Good luck to Ken in the next round. 

JReese

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2021, 02:30:19 PM »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2021, 09:10:33 AM »

Dan Moore and I played this spring and called it the first round Mashie Match --please replace me with Dan on that line as he beat me per usual (3&2 or something like), he'll play the winner of Molnar/Schley match
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Steve Burrows

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2021, 11:16:43 PM »
Myself and Jason Thurman met up today for a game at the Pfau Course in Bloomington, Indiana. We went back and forth early on, and then he took a sizable 3-up lead in the middle. I clawed back to only a 1 hole deficit on the 13th tee, but I can safely say that the match was never really in doubt (a consistent snap hook off the tee is no way to be successful at this particular golf course). While we were approaching the 16th green, a nearly biblical rain event begins, I get caught in the gunsch again, and Thurman wins the match 3&2.

Best of luck to Jason as he moves forward in the bracket.
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

JReese

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2021, 01:53:40 PM »
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 04:17:45 PM by JReese »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back