News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Gannon

Re: Golf to Sleep
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2020, 10:13:08 PM »
I'll play my favorite courses on the driving range, and my latest round before going to sleep.  If I played well, I replay shot for shot, and rarely get past the 6th hole before I'm asleep.  Bad rounds I play all 18, correcting errors in judgement, then start over with the latest good round.  Again, can't get past about 6th hole of the good round.  Happy to hear this is a common sleep aid! 

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2020, 10:35:01 PM »
   If I played that day, I replay my round twice - once by recalling the shots I played, the other by figuring out what I should have shot if I hadn’t hit stupid shots.  I figure I’m entitled to every five footer I missed and every twenty footer I made.  No three putts. And I should never miss a green from 150 yards in.  All bad tee shots except lost balls count. Any lost ball or OB should have been a bogey.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 10:39:50 PM by Jim_Coleman »

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2020, 01:57:24 AM »
Ah, ah Ira,
Rather than having trouble sleeping and then using imaginary golf as a sedative I find I have trouble golfing as I seem to go to sleep on every second shot. A nightmare!
Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Steve Wilson

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2020, 11:09:50 AM »
I've  tried this but once I've birdied the first five holes I get too tense from the pressure to sleep.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

JohnVDB

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2020, 11:39:37 AM »
From the title I thought you were referring to watching almost all televised "bomb and gouge" professional golf tournaments these days, Ira.   Talk about a sure fire cure for insomnia.

Ditto for me!

Never ever ever thought of counting golf shots to get to sleep...  I prefer putting on the headphones and listening to Darkstar version off Live Dead....

Love it.  Any music usually works but nothing beats the Dead.

I got the Calm app on my phone (free for a year with my Amex card). They have sleep stories where someone is telling a 20-30 minute story,  I think I’ve only gotten all the way through one without falling asleep.  I even use them when I wake up I’m the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep.  It takes my kind off my own ugly thoughts like my last round.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 11:43:26 AM by JohnVDB »

Jason Topp

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2020, 11:54:58 AM »
[quote author=JohnVDB link=topic=69117.msg1659350#msg1659350

I got the Calm app on my phone (free for a year with my Amex card). They have sleep stories where someone is telling a 20-30 minute story,  I think I’ve only gotten all the way through one without falling asleep.  I even use them when I wake up I’m the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep.  It takes my kind off my own ugly thoughts like my last round.

That has been my strategy for the last couple of years.   It works for me 98% of the time.   

John Crowley

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2020, 12:28:52 PM »
If any of you are like me, when you have trouble sleeping (or getting back to sleep), instead of counting sheep, you play a course in your head. Is it your home course? A favorite course? Why?

Ira
Yup, works like a charm.
Usually “play” my home course or a recent one. Rarely get to the back nine.
I usually have hit each shot to the ideal position. For whatever psychological reason, I never putt.

Like Colin, my real problem is not sleeping at night but during the day on the course over the occasional shot, usually a putt.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:31:13 PM by John Crowley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back