GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Ocean Course at Kiawah profile updated under Course by Country

<< < (2/3) > >>

John Kavanaugh:
RIP Mike Vegis

https://twitter.com/mikevegis?lang=en

Matt_Cohn:
Somebody help Ran figure out what kind of trees those are behind #7!

Matt MacIver:
I was to play TOC in the early 2000s and was surfing the web looking for information and reviews, and that is what brought me to this site and a new lifelong hobby.

That trip a full scale hurricane was blowing in Sunday afternoon but we weren’t going to let it chase us off the final round on the best course. With the howling wind at my back I somehow made three birdies between holes 6-13!  Turning back into the wind for the last holes I made three 9s.

Have played it a few more times since and I agree it’s getting better with age. Pro tip: club up on #17.

PCCraig:
This profile reminded me of Mike Vegis as well. A wonderful guy who I enjoyed catching up with over a beer when escaping the in-laws for a couple hours.

The Ocean Course has the reputation of being an incredibly hard golf course, and it is if your mindset is making a lot of birdies but you play it from too far back and in a lot of wind.

However, I once played it with my mother-in-law (a 40+ handicap) and she played the best round of her life there. From the ladies tees its almost impossible to get in trouble off the tee, and you can almost always roll the ball toward the green. Then once she got around the green she could putt.

That has to be as close to an ideal of golf course architecture that you can get. A golf course in a beautiful location, that is both interesting and challenging for better players but one where a 40 handicap senior lady can have the best round of her life. Pretty neat.

Doug Wright:

--- Quote from: John Kavanaugh on November 30, 2020, 08:33:34 PM ---RIP Mike Vegis

https://twitter.com/mikevegis?lang=en

--- End quote ---

This was my thought while reading the earlier posts on this thread. Mike was a regular, knowledgeable contributor here, and a true gentleman whose acquaintance I made while visiting Kiawah Island.

The Ocean Course is a gem, certainly one of the best Pete Dye courses I've played, combining playability and challenge perfectly IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version