News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Golf Club Atlas » The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island

I had lunch last week with a friend from Chicago (Greg O.), who has played everywhere, often multiple times. We were comparing the few courses we had seen in this travel-strangled year and the one course we had in common was The Ocean Course at Kiawah. His reaction was telling and sums up this updated profile: ‘I couldn’t believe how much fun I had in April. The last time I was there was a dozen years ago on a rough weather day and it was survival mode. This time, we caught it on a perfect day and all the great shots and holes became self-evident and it was a pure delight to be there. My memory was of a monster but the course is much more multi-dimensional than that.’

His sentiments sum up this profile. Given its origins as the host for the War by the Shore Ryder Cup, some people happily stereotype it as that. That’s not my take and never has been, even after the first Morrissett rounds there two months prior to the Ryder Cup. Dad, my two brothers and I were enthralled by it from the start - and it just got better and better. And by ‘better’, I mean more playable with added variety. For example, in 1991 if you went just over the 11th green, you could easily end up in a foot print and struggle to avoid taking 4 shots from six yards off the green. Such outcomes and tales are in the dust bin of history but I am not sure people’s perception of the ‘monster’ has changed in proportion to the facts.

Good luck hitting - and holding - the plateau 11th green from 230+ yards. Photo courtesy of the PGA of America.

From an architecture point of view, Dye did a couple of very interesting things that perhaps minimalist architects wouldn’t have pursued, at least to the same degree. First, at Alice’s prodding, he built up the fairways, especially holes 10-12,  so that the golfer could see the ocean even when playing the holes removed from the ocean. What a great start to what is arguably the finest 9 in the golf-rich Palmetto state. Second, his judicious use of the plateau green is exemplary. Be it on 3 of the par 5s, on the par 3 holes 8 and 14, or on a short par 4 hole like the 3rd, I find all 6 targets to be compelling. Some sniff about wanting more ground game shots but how better to defend a par 5 hole from being mauled by the professionals in two while remaining rewarding for the rest of us to hit in 3 with a wedge? Same for the 3rd, now a drivable par 4  – super infuriating for the professionals who want to strangle a 3 out of the sub 400 yarder yet hitting that $%^& green with a crisply struck wedge is always deeply satisfying, at least to me. Indeed, of my four favorite holes (2, 3, 13 and 14), three feature plateau greens. The one shot 14th can be exasperating for sure, yet of all the shots I played in 2020, a perfectly drawn 5 iron that pierced the wind, hit at the front and released to the lower back left is tops in my memory bank, besting a hole-in-one at a lesser hole. The house-free, coastal setting really does set the table for indelible moments, each and every time you play there.

This 2020 updates my 2006 update, which amended the original  that was present when GolfClubAtlas.com went live in 1999. I have played it a bunch because who doesn’t love playing beside the ocean, am but a 4 hour drive away and the family that I work for has owned it this century. This update adds the perspective of Brian Curley who helped Dye route the course in 1989. Brian notes, ‘It has the toughest second shot par 5 lay-ups of any course that I have ever seen.' Without doubt, the par 5s will go a long way in determining the winner of next year’s PGA Championship. Like Augusta National, I admire a course with 4 par 5s that create great score variation/suspense. Those 4 greens (i.e. the 2nd, 7th, 11th and 16th) are effortlessly and undeniably prickly targets, even for Bryson DeChambeau.

On one of his last visits there, Pete Dye ruminated about playing the 12th hole from the 400 yard tee markers where it would be ‘drivable. ‘ Yikes (!) , yet that is precisely where we now find ourselves. Dye’s vision of the future was spot on. Even though the course is now 30 years old, it holds technology at bay without ridiculous green speeds and still lures an aging short hitter like me to make an 8 hour roundtrip. For me, that’s great architecture and May can’t get here soon enough.

Best,
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:21:39 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Criss Titschinger

Re: Ocean Course at Kiawah profile updated under Course by Country
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 09:36:21 PM »
Kiawah Ocean is what truly sparked my interest in Golf Course Architecture, which led me to this website back in 2002 when a young me played Cougar Point and the golf bug stuck.

I finally got the opportunity to play The Ocean Course in 2018. As the resident GCA mid-capper, I had heard nightmares about how tough this course was. I was a bit concerned coming in; but having played Wolf Run (R.I.P), nothing really scared me after that.

I played in the first group out with a moderate 10-15 MPH wind at our backs. Somehow, I was only +2 after 5; my bogeys coming on the easier 1st and 3rd holes. Then we turned into the wind, and things went a little sour from there. Still, I found the course perfectly playable from the right set of tees, and it remains one of my favorite rounds of golf to date.

The greens were great, if slower than I thought. My caddie explained to me if the greens were any faster, they'd be there all day. Of course he was right. The course is a resort course at the end of the day.

It's a great course with unmatched scenery of hearing the ocean on every hole, and great golf holes to boot.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 04:52:33 AM »
Thanks for the update.
The old photos have a certain ‘Lido with alligators’ look to them.
Atb

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 03:10:56 PM »
I can remember back almost 20 years ago was when I first met Ran when he was with his family at Kiawah as was I and he invited me to join him in a tour of the Ocean Course which was under renovation.  We were taken around by Dye's representative on site and the greens superintendent and I have to admit that most of what they were discussing was well over my very novice head.  I was in a cart with Ran's father and he apparently understood far more than I.  My most vivid memory was Ran's explanation of what made the 14th hole one of the best par 3s he had ever seen.  That day made up my mind that golf course architecture is so much more than how good a hole looks and hopefully my understanding has greatly evolved since then. 

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 06:40:37 PM »
Seeing the '91 Ryder Cup on TV was the seminal moment that got me into architecture. I had see Pebble, paid attention to British Opens at St Andrews and saw the '89 Open at Oak Hill but Kiawah was the trigger. Got to play it mid 90's and loved it even more once I got the bug.  Great write up!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

John Kavanaugh

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »
Somebody help Ran figure out what kind of trees those are behind #7!

Matt MacIver

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 07:54:02 PM »
I was to play TOC in the early 2000s and was surfing the web looking for information and reviews, and that is what brought me to this site and a new lifelong hobby.

That trip a full scale hurricane was blowing in Sunday afternoon but we weren’t going to let it chase us off the final round on the best course. With the howling wind at my back I somehow made three birdies between holes 6-13!  Turning back into the wind for the last holes I made three 9s.

Have played it a few more times since and I agree it’s getting better with age. Pro tip: club up on #17.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 10:18:21 AM »
This profile reminded me of Mike Vegis as well. A wonderful guy who I enjoyed catching up with over a beer when escaping the in-laws for a couple hours.

The Ocean Course has the reputation of being an incredibly hard golf course, and it is if your mindset is making a lot of birdies but you play it from too far back and in a lot of wind.

However, I once played it with my mother-in-law (a 40+ handicap) and she played the best round of her life there. From the ladies tees its almost impossible to get in trouble off the tee, and you can almost always roll the ball toward the green. Then once she got around the green she could putt.

That has to be as close to an ideal of golf course architecture that you can get. A golf course in a beautiful location, that is both interesting and challenging for better players but one where a 40 handicap senior lady can have the best round of her life. Pretty neat.
H.P.S.

Doug Wright

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 03:22:51 PM »
RIP Mike Vegis

https://twitter.com/mikevegis?lang=en

This was my thought while reading the earlier posts on this thread. Mike was a regular, knowledgeable contributor here, and a true gentleman whose acquaintance I made while visiting Kiawah Island.

The Ocean Course is a gem, certainly one of the best Pete Dye courses I've played, combining playability and challenge perfectly IMO.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matt Kardash

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 06:26:53 PM »
Seeing the before and after the one hole I feel like looked way cooler back in the day was the par 3 5th. It was cool with open shallow sand right up to the green. Looked super low profile and natural. I find the deeper, hard edged long bunker with round pot bunker doesnt look the best to my eye
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back