News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Ron Forse New
« on: November 25, 2020, 08:51:15 PM »
Golf Club Atlas » Feature Interview with Ron Forse

Restoration is funny business. Golf clubs place their most prized possession, their courses, in the hands of architects who are creative by nature yet whose goals are to not leave footprints. This conundrum is not for the faint-hearted. A good restorer is a diverse individual, part historian, archeologist, and agronomist. That’s Ron Forse. Remember too: he is one of the first restorers of courses, having been doing this since the late 1980s, long before it became architecture’s hot market segment.

Restoration is far from a science and subjective decisions are a constant. How those decisions get substantiated and communicated to the membership are topics unto themselves. Still, substantiation is enhanced by experience. Ron Forse is such an individual and has the portfolio to prove it. Started in 1989, Forse Design is over thirty years old and has included Jim Nagle for the past 22 years. They are a very effective team and have elevated many of the country’s finest courses including Davenport, Newport, Salem, Philadelphia CC and breathed new life into less gifted sites like the CC of Orlando.

A plethora of topics are covered in this month's Feature Interview including Ross and his multiple stages of architecture, Langford & Moreau and even Dick Wilson. Forse's body of work spans both coasts. Tellingly, some of his clients have been with him for decades including Hyannisport and GCA mega-fav Lawsonia Links. With the grace that comes from being an elder statesman, he is quick to praise not only his partner Jim Nagle but fellow architects. For instance, Mountain Ridge and its amazing greens have played an outsized role in influencing what constitutes good architecture in the eyes of someone who grew up in its neighborhood and he is plum-pleased that Ron Prichard has done such a fine job restoring that Ross work.

Without clamoring for attention, Ron Forse has had an outsized impact and added to the enjoyment of the game for thousands of golfers. Therefore, it is with genuine pleasure that we shine the spotlight where it belongs - on a great and long-time friend to the game.

Best,
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:20:54 AM by Ran Morrissett »

mike_malone

Re: Feature Interview with Ron Forse
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 09:57:16 PM »
Learned more about golf architecture in one day with Ron, Wayne Morrison, and a copies of Flynn’s hole by hole designs for Rolling Green than any other session since.
AKA Mayday

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 10:16:44 AM »
Enjoying this very much. Check your PMs.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 10:23:16 AM »
Ron and Jim are two of the good guys in golf. I don't think they get enough recognition but when you look at their client list and see the results of their work on site you appreciate just how good they are.

https://www.forsegolfdesign.com/forsegalleryscroll

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »
Really good stuff, Ran. Thanks.

We all know about their excellent work at Lawsonia. However, a couple years ago I played their essentially new design at CC of Orlando and enjoyed it immensely. Just a great lay of the land design with a really cool set of greens.
H.P.S.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
Thnks, I he has garnered a nice niche in course restoration.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 09:20:25 PM »
One of my golfing highlights of 2020 was walking 4 holes with Ron at Lawsonia during the Midwest Mashie. He joined us on the 9th hole. On the 10th hole, one of my favorite at Lawsonia, we was talking about all the things they could still do to that hole. This is why I am in IT and folks like Ron are in the field. He was totally right. The 10th is already a great hole, and still could be made even better.

Lawsonia is one of my favorite spots in golf that I've played. It's astonishing to see how the Links course had changed in the last 20 years, and how it still has potential.

I did get to fan boy with him about Davenport. Easily in my top 5 played. 16-18 is such a great finish, and the new 18th is just incredible.

I wish I would have talked more about NCR South with him, knowing the Dick Wilson knowledge. Hopefully another time.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 12:40:23 PM »
Great choice for an interview. While I've seen a lot of Ron's work, I have never seen the "before" versions (except somewhat at Lawsonia). Certainly what's on the ground today at places like Davenport, Lawsonia, and Salem is terrific.

I do plan to borrow this line from him:"I'll take all the charm you can give me."

Jim Sherma

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 08:15:59 PM »
Had the pleasure of playing with Ron at Bedford Springs earlier this year - thank you Vaughn for setting it up! I learned a ton from him and had a great day out. Ron is a real gentleman and a wonderful companion for a great round of golf.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 01:10:47 PM »
Great piece, have had the pleasure of working with these gentlemen for the past ten years. What Forse Design has done for us is simply spectacular. Spending an afternoon with Jim is very educational, to say the least.

I now appreciate things I took for granted years ago.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 06:24:08 PM »
I was fortunate this summer to be at two events with Ron.  He was a fountain of information, and coupled with his enthusiasm I came away impressed.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back