News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Molyneux

Merchantville CC New
« on: January 04, 2022, 03:43:01 PM »
It's a new year and I resolve to post (and study) here more regularly. I'm retired now and golfing and I have no excuse. I've had the good fortune to play Merchantville CC several times. The claim has been made that it's one of the ten oldest clubs in the country. I kind of doubt that but I'd place it in the oldest 50. I've had the good fortune to play Merchantville CC several times. The claim has been made that it's one of the ten oldest clubs in the country. I will admit that I love old courses... Golden Age on back so that explains my particular affection for "the Ville", despite my apparent inability to go out par-par on the opening two par 5s. Merchantville dates from 1892. When I went to play in Scotland, I took along poker chip markers from Merchantville to share with caddies and fellow players. I figured they'd be appreciated and the large MCC 1892 on the chips might start some discussions. I stood on the 1st tee on the Old Course at St. Andrews and passed out a handful of chips to the three London barristers, I'd be playing with and to our caddies. John, my caddy, looked at it and made an observation that's stuck with me, "Ah 1892! Same vintage as our New course!"

Back to Merchantville, I have this sneaking suspicion... just a theory at this point... that the course probably went through two early iterations before becoming something like today's 10 holes or more accurately 10 greens and enough teeing areas that I seem to lose count. The earliest "design" was probably the ever popular two-empty-cans-buried at opposite ends of the football/rugby pitch. My guess is that two Merchantville members (I'll call them "The Bills"... Stelwagon and Craig) probably walked out and buried those cans. As golf became more popular, the second design may have been just a tad more elaborate with varied distances among four or five holes that spread out in front of the old clubhouse, without ever crossing Chapel Avenue. Again, it's my belief that three members (Morton, Kling and Burleigh) were responsible. Sometime, early on, the course crossed over into Cherry Hill and it became a lot more challenging (witness back to back par 5s, and par threes lengthened to mid-iron distance). So... who set up this course where John McDermott once collected fees and gave lessons?

An influential Merchantville member in his early 20s is my principal suspect... none other than George Crump of Pine Valley fame! He was a member with considerable financial resources, a brilliant mind for golf. He also lived in Merchantville. He created a masterpiece at Pine Valley but that was a different piece of land. He did what he was able to do with a less singular parcel in Merchantville. His desire to route the holes so that the wind constantly varies. Only 7 and 8 proceed in essentially the same direction and 8 is at least 10-15 degrees different, while most of the other holes are 90 to 180 degrees different. Certainly over the ensuing 20 years, Crump's thinking on the game evolved and he had the benefit of Harry Colt's experience and collaboration.

I'll continue probing but here's a peek at what I have managed thusfar. I looked at all U.S. courses constructed before 1895 and researched the designers. It's not a long list and many of the known architects never appeared to work in the PA/NJ/DE area. Those who did (Reid, Tucker, Bendelow, Findlay, Travis, et al.) would've made a point of playing up their work for future commissions. It wasn't a huge surprise to learn that many of the old, old courses were designed by members. Given that Crump was a local and a member, it would be hard to imagine that Crump didn't have a hand in the design and construction.

If Crump's name can be associated with a wonderful golf course that already benefits by its connection to John McDermott, how prestigious might that be? I welcome thoughts and of course, new information!  :o
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:10:39 PM by Mark Molyneux »

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Merchantville CC
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 04:26:42 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 04:55:15 PM »
It's a new year and I resolve to post (and study) here more regularly. I'm retired now and golfing and I have no excuse. I've had the good fortune to play Merchantville CC several times. The claim has been made that it's one of the ten oldest clubs in the country. I kind of doubt that but I'd place it in the oldest 50. I've had the good fortune to play Merchantville CC several times. The claim has been made that it's one of the ten oldest clubs in the country. I will admit that I love old courses... Golden Age on back so that explains my particular affection for "the Ville", despite my apparent inability to go out par-par on the opening two par 5s. Merchantville dates from 1892. When I went to play in Scotland, I took along poker chip markers from Merchantville to share with caddies and fellow players. I figured they'd be appreciated and the large MCC 1892 on the chips might start some discussions. I stood on the 1st tee on the Old Course at St. Andrews and passed out a handful of chips to the three London barristers, I'd be playing with and to our caddies. John, my caddy, looked at it and made an observation that's stuck with me, "Ah 1892! Same vintage as our New course!"Back to Merchantville, I have this sneaking suspicion... just a theory at this point... that the course probably went through two early iterations before becoming something like today's 10 holes or more accurately 10 greens and enough teeing areas that I seem to lose count. The earliest "design" was probably the ever popular two-empty-cans-buried at opposite ends of the football/rugby pitch. My guess is that two Merchantville members (I'll call them "The Bills"... Stelwagon and Craig) probably walked out and buried those cans. As golf became more popular, the second design may have been just a tad more elaborate with varied distances among four or five holes that spread out in front of the old clubhouse, without ever crossing Chapel Avenue. Again, it's my belief that three members (Morton, Kling and Burleigh) were responsible. Sometime, early on, the course crossed over into Cherry Hill and it became a lot more challenging (witness back to back par 5s, and par threes lengthened to mid-iron distance). So... who set up this course where John McDermott once collected fees and gave lessons?An influential Merchantville member in his early 20s is my principal suspect... none other than George Crump of Pine Valley fame! He was a member with considerable financial resources, a brilliant mind for golf. He also lived in Merchantville. He created a masterpiece at Pine Valley but that was a different piece of land. He did what he was able to do with a less singular parcel in Merchantville. His desire to route the holes so that the wind constantly varies. Only 7 and 8 proceed in essentially the same direction and 8 is at least 10-15 degrees different, while most of the other holes are 90 to 180 degrees different. Certainly over the ensuing 20 years, Crump's thinking on the game evolved and he had the benefit of Harry Colt's experience and collaboration.I'll continue probing but here's a peek at what I have managed thusfar. I looked at all U.S. courses constructed before 1895 and researched the designers. It's not a long list and many of the known architects never appeared to work in the PA/NJ/DE area. Those who did (Reid, Tucker, Bendelow, Findlay, Travis, et al.) would've made a point of playing up their work for future commissions. It wasn't a huge surprise to learn that many of the old, old courses were designed by members. Given that Crump was a local and a member, it would be hard to imagine that Crump didn't have a hand in the design and construction.If Crump's name can be associated with a wonderful golf course that already benefits by its connection to John McDermott, how prestigious might that be? I welcome thoughts and of course, new i[/color]nformation! [/size][/color][/size][/color]

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 05:07:04 PM »
I played 7 or 8 years ago with Joe Bausch and John VDB and thoroughly enjoyed the day and set of holes. Although I don’t recall exactly I imagine Joe was taking pictures and maybe he can post a few.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 06:33:12 PM »
Pretty sure the club was founded in 1892 but golf didn’t arrive for at least a few more years.  I’ve seen both 1895 and 1897 for the date of the first golf holes.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Rick Sides

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 06:49:25 PM »
Niall,
This is an interesting post.  Mr. Crump was born in 1871 and had a very creative eye for golf.  Many years ago I was able to unravel that Crump bought the land for Pine Valley off the Lumberton Sand Company while passing by it on his numerous trips to Atlantic City.  It would not shock me at all if he lent a hand in helping build Merchantville CC which is where is he lived. I live 15 minutes from there and always have wanted to play the course one day.  The website says it was founded in 1898 so perhaps Mr. Crump who was an avid golfer could have helped with design.

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 07:49:46 PM »
Niall C;

Bless you for coming out and saying it.    Joe Bausch and I have long speculated that George Crump may/might/should/could/must've been involved in the evolutionary design of Merchantville, although I've yet to play it.   Happy to help chase this one down.   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 07:58:50 PM »
I've had the distinct pleasure of playing Merchantville a few times with a member I met through our mutual interest in Cobb's Creek.

My most recent trip was in 2018 and here is how my eyes and camera found the delightful course:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/Merchantville_2018/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 08:43:05 PM »
Are you the Mark Molyneux who posted to one of the early Golf Course Review sites around 2000-2002? It so, we agreed on many courses around Philadelphia!
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 08:26:12 AM »
One avenue of exploration is that Miss Helen Crump (George's sister) was an early top athlete and golfer at Merchantville, winning various club tournaments and interclub matches.   She also seemed to have been close friends with George's wife.

This from a recent article in GlobalGolfJobs discussing the decision to admit female members to Pine Valley;

The club struggled in the early years and, in fact, when Crump died in 1918 was saved from bankruptcy by his sister Helen Crump Street. According to club minutes in 1924, quoted in Mutch’s book, she personally forgave loans that made up “a great part of the heavy burden of debt” and was rewarded with an honorary life membership. So technically, Pine Valley has had a woman member before, but the move to open the club to female members this spring will be more far-reaching and consequential.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 08:38:09 AM by MCirba »

Rick Sides

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 11:29:24 AM »
Sadly she died in 1923 so never really got to play as a member a lot

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 12:53:45 PM »
Are you the Mark Molyneux who posted to one of the early Golf Course Review sites around 2000-2002? It so, we agreed on many courses around Philadelphia!

Hi Kyle! Yes, that was me. Then I got busy and I could only afford time to come to GCA in order to read, learn, and stay informed. I mentioned somewhere yesterday that since I'm retired, I want to be more regular posting my thoughts, experiences, and reactions to what I see other people saying. I may be confabulation but is it possible that we bumped into one another at Stoudt's following around at Galen Hall? In any event, it's nice to be back.

Specific to Merchantville Country Club, I have had the good fortune to be playing there since about 2003 with a good friend, who is also a member. I think it is a brilliant utilization of a limited amount of acreage the challenges everyone from beginners to accomplished players. I think most people know the connections between John McDermott, Al Besselink and "the Ville". I know that there has been some discussion here about the connections between Merchantville CC and Moorestown Field Club, both of which were among the 50 or so earliest clubs in the country. I wasn't the first to raise a possible connection between George Crump and Merchantville CC that goes well beyond his membership around the turn of the 20th century. Before sharing some notes about the golf course, allow me to say that the members at Merchantville have been about the most consistently personable, friendly and interesting as the members at any other course, where I have played.

On to the golf course! I have heard Merchantville described as a "nine-hole private club", which isn't exactly accurate as there are at least 11 greens and 14 tee boxes. The routing makes excellent use of the available real estate (probably no more than 45 acres). The routing also changes the direction on nearly every hole by anywhere from 90 to 180°. The yardage may seem modest at just over 6200 yards the rating and slope (71.1/130) inform us that this is no pushover. Year-round play is a definite possibility and course conditions are consistently excellent.

Here are my thoughts on actually playing the golf course.

The first two holes on the outward and inward nine are identical par fives. Number 1/10 is a narrow 500 yard proposition that crosses water twice to arrive at a quick, subtle green surface.

Number 2/11 is a stout 580 yard par five that plays in the opposite direction, crossing the same water to avoid a well-placed sand bunker on the left on the drive and more bunkers on the right that threaten the approach shot. More typically, two well struck shots still leave a wedge or short iron to a more challenging and somewhat larger green surface protected left and right by bunkers. This second green is more challenging than the opener, especially when the pain is back and left. These opening holes on both lines are far from the "friendly handshake" featured by number three Donald Ross et al. to afford golfers a chance to loosen up for the round. Unfocused ambitions are simply not rewarded.

Number 3 is played just once as 140 yard three, which is a bit of a shame in that it is a genuinely good golf hole that plays more like a par 3 1/2 to any left side pin that hides behind a front bunker. Right side pins are much more accessible but even the slightest pole can be severely punished because the green slopes dramatically left to right.

On to numbers 4/13, which are similar though not identical golf holes. #4 is a straightaway, short par four of about 320 yards. Before anybody thinks about "just driving it down there close", the rough on the left is punishing and that rough features contours that can lead to a very uneven stance... add to that a front bunker and water 20 yards short of the green, the fourth can be a very challenging golf hole. Now for #13... It is a somewhat longer (330-340 yards) par 4 that plays from the same teeing ground to the same fairway with the same punishing rough on the left but this time, a more precise tee ball is required. 200 yards may not allow you to see around the corner as this green is set to the right creating a dogleg. Only the longest hitters will find trouble with a 260 or 270 yard tee shot but in that middle range from 215 to about 235, a large tree 60 yards short of the pin vastly complicates the approach. Both greens are quick and true but neither is overly complicated.

That brings us to numbers 5 and 14, where again we have similar but not identical par fours that are just a little longer than 4 & 13. However, there are some not so subtle differences. Most players hit driver or three wood at 4 & 13 but here, in order to avoid the punishing rough cutting in on the right, the play is more likely to be a long iron or hybrid. Going back to the pair of tees, there is a another significant difference such that #5 plays straighter, while #14 tee almost forces a more conservative play or a right to left shot. There is a similarity here Crump feature at Pine Valley #15, since the entire hole narrows as the player approaches the green. Granted, this is a shortish, level par 4 whereas the whole at Pine Valley is a behemoth par 5 playing uphill but the defense by narrowing the available field of play is quite similar. Speaking of the green surface, this one features a back to front slope requiring confidence and touch with the flat stick.

Cross back over Chapel Avenue for numbers 6 & 13, both of which are par threes, targeting the same green but from different tees. Number 6 plays 203 yards to a well bunkered green. In my mind, this is the most difficult par on the golf course. Number 13 plays to the same green with the same bunkers but from just 190 yards. My friend, the long time member, tells me that there used to be a 40 foot tree that stood in the middle of this golf hole about 60 yards short of the green. Good riddance! I don't have a club in my bag for that shot!

Now we find ourselves on the tee for numbers 7 and 16. These holes are identical short 4s of just under 300 yards. Making it even "easier", the hole plays downhill. Once again before anybody drags the "Big Dog" out of the bag, allow me to state unequivocally, "That is not the play unless you are the fourth guy hitting in a scramble format and someone has already put a serviceable shot in the middle, 90 yards out." Here's why. OB extends on the left of the entire hole. At the admittedly wide green, OB is probably no more than 10 yards left. There is a right side bunker that sits maybe 165 off the tee and that will complicate the approach shot'. There is a "burn" fronting the green, if in fact you managed to hit that dead straight 260 yard shot from the tee that you wish you could have managed at the first hole. Lastly, this is the nastiest green on the golf course if you happen to be left of or beyond the pin. I have seen 15 foot breaks. I have seen balls roll 20 feet past. I have personally managed to put clear off the green on at least two occasions (and I am not a terrible putter). Par is a very good score on this 29 yard downhill par 4. In a way, this green reminds me of hitting against Bob Gibson. If you manage to birdie #7, don't stand there and gloat. It doesn't like that and it will remember when you revisit at #16.

Numbers 8 & 17 are the same hole, played from the same teeing ground to the same green. It's easy to get blocked out or even penalized on the left side. It's probably better and somewhat braver to play down the right, carrying as much of the stream that runs right along your finishing line, if you opt for the right side approach. This is a mid-length golf hole of around 360 yards. Probably no more than a seven or eight iron (maybe less) if you managed to stay dry. Much like all the other green surfaces at Merchantville, this one is quick and true. It has been my experience that for some reason the green may not hold quite as well as some of the others, so I have realized some success with landing in front and letting the ball run back toward the pin.

Numbers 9 and 18 and up at the same place, directly under the balcony of the clubhouse, almost assuring an audience for the approach shot. Numbers 9 and 18 start from different places so there is some difference between the yardages. Nine plays just short of 400 yards with the same stream that we saw right on the previous hole but this time it is on the right. Once again the preferred line tends to be center-right, bringing that stream into play on wayward shots. Eighteen plays over 400 yards and from a lower tee box that lengthens the hole even more, while slightly adjusting the angle for the tee shot. The stream does cross in front of the green so I'd be sure to take enough club on the approach but not so much club that your next play is from the bocce courts. If there are members crowding the balcony and "cheering you on" don't get anxious. As a caddie once said to me, "The only people out here, who really care about how your shooting, are you and me and if I had a bet against you, it would just be you." Invariably, I find the players at Merchantville to be extremely generous with their course knowledge and not the least critical of the almost unavoidable bad shot.

My sense is that a good golf course fair. It rewards good shots and punishes poor shots. A good golf course brings every club out of the bag at some point during the round. A good golf course requires creativity and a good golf course makes one a better player. Merchantville is a VERY good golf course. If you're offered the opportunity to play there, go!

Mark Molyneux

Re: Merchantville CC New
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 01:00:26 PM »
Sorry for scuffing up the balata but it's been a while since I wrote on GCA and I'm trying to be certain that when I post, something more than a bunch of lines appear in the discussion. Think of this as a mulligan or a check on my recollection of how to have information appear.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:11:13 PM by Mark Molyneux »

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 01:04:14 PM »
Okay! One more try!! I'm hopeful.

Hi Kyle! Yes, that was me. Then I got busy and I could only afford time to come to GCA in order to read, learn, and stay informed. I mentioned somewhere yesterday that since I'm retired, I want to be more regular posting my thoughts, experiences, and reactions to what I see other people saying. I may be confabulation but is it possible that we bumped into one another at Stoudt's following around at Galen Hall? In any event, it's nice to be back.

Specific to Merchantville Country Club, I have had the good fortune to be playing there since about 2003 with a good friend, who is also a member. I think it is a brilliant utilization of a limited amount of acreage that challenges everyone from beginners to accomplished players. I think most people know the connections between John McDermott, Al Besselink and "the Ville". I know that there has been some discussion here about the connections between Merchantville CC and Moorestown Field Club, both of which were among the 50 or so earliest clubs in the country. I wasn't the first to raise a possible connection between George Crump and Merchantville CC that goes well beyond his membership around the turn of the 20th century. Before sharing some notes about the golf course, allow me to say that the members at Merchantville have been about the most consistently personable, friendly and interesting as the members at any other course, where I have played.

On to the golf course! I have heard Merchantville described as a "nine-hole private club", which isn't exactly accurate as there are at least 11 greens and 14 tee boxes. The routing makes excellent use of the available real estate (probably no more than 45 acres). The routing also changes the direction on nearly every hole by anywhere from 90 to 180°. The yardage may seem modest at just over 6200 yards the rating and slope (71.1/130) inform us that this is no pushover. Year-round play is a definite possibility and course conditions are consistently excellent.

Here are my thoughts on actually playing the golf course.

The first two holes on the outward and inward nine are identical par fives. Number 1/10 is a narrow 500 yard proposition that crosses water twice to arrive at a quick, subtle green surface.

Number 2/11 is a stout 580 yard par five that plays in the opposite direction, crossing the same water to avoid a well-placed sand bunker on the left on the drive and more bunkers on the right that threaten the approach shot. More typically, two well struck shots still leave a wedge or short iron to a more challenging and somewhat larger green surface protected left and right by bunkers. This second green is more challenging than the opener, especially when the pain is back and left. These opening holes on both lines are far from the "friendly handshake" featured by number three Donald Ross et al. to afford golfers a chance to loosen up for the round. Unfocused ambitions are simply not rewarded.

Number 3 is played just once as 140 yard three, which is a bit of a shame in that it is a genuinely good golf hole that plays more like a par 3 1/2 to any left side pin that hides behind a front bunker. Right side pins are much more accessible but even the slightest pole can be severely punished because the green slopes dramatically left to right.

On to numbers 4/13, which are similar though not identical golf holes. #4 is a straightaway, short par four of about 320 yards. Before anybody thinks about "just driving it down there close", the rough on the left is punishing and that rough features contours that can lead to a very uneven stance... add to that a front bunker and water 20 yards short of the green, the fourth can be a very challenging golf hole. Now for #13... It is a somewhat longer (330-340 yards) par 4 that plays from the same teeing ground to the same fairway with the same punishing rough on the left but this time, a more precise tee ball is required. 200 yards may not allow you to see around the corner as this green is set to the right creating a dogleg. Only the longest hitters will find trouble with a 260 or 270 yard tee shot but in that middle range from 215 to about 235, a large tree 60 yards short of the pin vastly complicates the approach. Both greens are quick and true but neither is overly complicated.

That brings us to numbers 5 and 14, where again we have similar but not identical par fours that are just a little longer than 4 & 13. However, there are some not so subtle differences. Most players hit driver or three wood at 4 & 13 but here, in order to avoid the punishing rough cutting in on the right, the play is more likely to be a long iron or hybrid. Going back to the pair of tees, there is a another significant difference such that #5 plays straighter, while #14 tee almost forces a more conservative play or a right to left shot. There is a similarity here Crump feature at Pine Valley #15, since the entire hole narrows as the player approaches the green. Granted, this is a shortish, level par 4 whereas the whole at Pine Valley is a behemoth par 5 playing uphill but the defense by narrowing the available field of play is quite similar. Speaking of the green surface, this one features a back to front slope requiring confidence and touch with the flat stick.

Cross back over Chapel Avenue for numbers 6 & 13, both of which are par threes, targeting the same green but from different tees. Number 6 plays 203 yards to a well bunkered green. In my mind, this is the most difficult par on the golf course. Number 13 plays to the same green with the same bunkers but from just 190 yards. My friend, the long time member, tells me that there used to be a 40 foot tree that stood in the middle of this golf hole about 60 yards short of the green. Good riddance! I don't have a club in my bag for that shot!
Now we find ourselves on the tee for numbers 7 and 16. These holes are identical short 4s of just under 300 yards. Making it even "easier", the hole plays downhill. Once again before anybody drags the "Big Dog" out of the bag, allow me to state unequivocally, "That is not the play unless you are the fourth guy hitting in a scramble format and someone has already put a serviceable shot in the middle, 90 yards out." Here's why. OB extends on the left of the entire hole. At the admittedly wide green, OB is probably no more than 10 yards left. There is a right side bunker that sits maybe 165 off the tee and that will complicate the approach shot'. There is a "burn" fronting the green, if in fact you managed to hit that dead straight 260 yard shot from the tee that you wish you could have managed at the first hole. Lastly, this is the nastiest green on the golf course if you happen to be left of or beyond the pin. I have seen 15 foot breaks. I have seen balls roll 20 feet past. I have personally managed to put clear off the green on at least two occasions (and I am not a terrible putter). Par is a very good score on this 29 yard downhill par 4. In a way, this green reminds me of hitting against Bob Gibson. If you manage to birdie #7, don't stand there and gloat. It doesn't like that and it will remember when you revisit at #16.

Numbers 8 & 17 are the same hole, played from the same teeing ground to the same green. It's easy to get blocked out or even penalized on the left side. It's probably better and somewhat braver to play down the right, carrying as much of the stream that runs right along your finishing line, if you opt for the right side approach. This is a mid-length golf hole of around 360 yards. Probably no more than a seven or eight iron (maybe less) if you managed to stay dry. Much like all the other green surfaces at Merchantville, this one is quick and true. It has been my experience that for some reason the green may not hold quite as well as some of the others, so I have realized some success with landing in front and letting the ball run back toward the pin.

Numbers 9 and 18 and up at the same place, directly under the balcony of the clubhouse, almost assuring an audience for the approach shot. Numbers 9 and 18 start from different places so there is some difference between the yardages. Nine plays just short of 400 yards with the same stream that we saw right on the previous hole but this time it is on the right. Once again the preferred line tends to be center-right, bringing that stream into play on wayward shots. Eighteen plays over 400 yards and from a lower tee box that lengthens the hole even more, while slightly adjusting the angle for the tee shot. The stream does cross in front of the green so I'd be sure to take enough club on the approach but not so much club that your next play is from the bocce courts. If there are members crowding the balcony and "cheering you on" don't get anxious. As a caddie once said to me, "The only people out here, who really care about how your shooting, are you and me and if I had a bet against you, it would just be you." Invariably, I find the players at Merchantville to be extremely generous with their course knowledge and not the least critical of the almost unavoidable bad shot.

My sense is that a good golf course fair. It rewards good shots and punishes poor shots. A good golf course brings every club out of the bag at some point during the round. A good golf course requires creativity and a good golf course makes one a better player. Merchantville is a VERY good golf course. If you're offered the opportunity to play there, go!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 01:18:58 PM by Mark Molyneux »

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 01:17:27 PM »
Rick/Mike,

Please note, that wasn't my comment, that was all Mark's. I merely tried to help when he fell foul of the dreaded formatting gremlins.

Niall

MCirba

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 01:45:32 PM »
Rick/Mike,

Please note, that wasn't my comment, that was all Mark's. I merely tried to help when he fell foul of the dreaded formatting gremlins.

Niall
Niall,

What have you done with Mark?   Apparently when you body-snatched him you made him very, very tiny.    ;)

Mark,

Great to see you hear again.   Best on your retirement and hopefully you'll have more time to join us wackos. 

archie_struthers

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2022, 09:32:16 AM »
 8)

Know a ton of Merchantville members. Not a place for the faint of heart as needling goes with the territory there.

Crowded into a tiny tract of ground but always fun!

Another famous Merchantville guy was Al Besselink a tour pro with a personality that outshone his nice game . Must be the water there !  😂 I grew up about 15 minutes to the East.

Mark apologies I missed your really good review above. Had the pleasure of knowing “Bessie” and he was a hoot. Might still be alive in south Florida.  Not sure 🙃?   Great group of guys at the “Ville” thanks for post

Just googled Bessie.   97 and still kicking. 🤩 wow
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 09:41:49 AM by archie_struthers »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 09:58:56 AM »
Does anyone have anything noting golf at Merchantville prior to 1899?

The following articles are the only evidence I've seen of golf during the early years of the club.

Aug. 16, 1899 Courier-Post -

May 12, 1900 Courier-Post -

Sept. 29, 1903 Courier-Post -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

JohnVDB

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 09:25:15 PM »
I played 7 or 8 years ago with Joe Bausch and John VDB and thoroughly enjoyed the day and set of holes. Although I don’t recall exactly I imagine Joe was taking pictures and maybe he can post a few.

I remember that round it was very enjoyable, both for the company and the course.  If you ever want to get together for another round somewhere, let me know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back