News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Dunfanaghy or Portsalon ?
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2022, 10:04:53 AM »
Kevin

I should start by saying that like many on here I don't consider referring to a course as providing holiday golf as being at all derogatory. On the contrary, they often provide the most interesting, fun and challenging golf. Defining holiday golf is one of those things that is a bit tricky but we all tend to know what it is when we see it although I'm not sure it is always black and white. For example, if you consider the spectrum of holiday golf to championship golf you probably have the likes of 12 hole Shiskine at one end and Open Championship courses at the other. I tend to think that Portsalon is nearer Shiskine than it is Carnoustie although I suppose someone could make the case that it is the other way.

Niall 

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Dunfanaghy or Portsalon ?
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2022, 11:54:50 AM »
Kevin

I should start by saying that like many on here I don't consider referring to a course as providing holiday golf as being at all derogatory. On the contrary, they often provide the most interesting, fun and challenging golf. Defining holiday golf is one of those things that is a bit tricky but we all tend to know what it is when we see it although I'm not sure it is always black and white. For example, if you consider the spectrum of holiday golf to championship golf you probably have the likes of 12 hole Shiskine at one end and Open Championship courses at the other. I tend to think that Portsalon is nearer Shiskine than it is Carnoustie although I suppose someone could make the case that it is the other way.

Niall

Col. Barton and the Earl of Leitrim established golf courses such as Portsalon and Rosapenna, respectively for the purposes of attracting tourists, so I don't think they'd be too offended with the term "holiday golf". It was definitely all about "sporting" golf courses in those days.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back