News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Jim Arthur and golf agronomy
« on: November 18, 2020, 06:39:56 AM »
Folks might (or might not) like to read this piece the link to which was sent to me recently about Jim Arthur - agronomist and author of the famous book 'Practical Greenkeeping'.
https://www.bigga.org.uk/news-listing/the-outspoken-agronomist-who-saved-links-golf.html
atb

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Jim Arthur and golf agronomy
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 11:15:14 AM »
Enjoyed it.  Makes the distinction of Americans wanting it green to show status, right from the beginning, apparently.  That may be why it's so hard to turn around. The average members emotional attachment to status far outweighs their desire to play golf in the best fashion possible.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 03:36:06 AM »

James Boon

Re: Jim Arthur and golf agronomy New
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 07:47:41 AM »
Thanks, will read these articles later and just wanted to suggest anyone interest gets hold of a copy of Jim Arthur's book Practical Greenkeeping, but they are going for £100 plus on Amazon!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Greenkeeping-Jim-Arthur/dp/0907583121

Its been a while since I read it cover to cover and I said I'd probably only have the time to reread it if I ever got on the greens committee at my club (but then I also said I'd only do that if things started going in the wrong direction, which thankfully with Gordon Irvine consulting the club they arent) but I do dip into it from time to time.

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 10:51:49 AM by James Boon »
2022 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Reay, Ganton, Burnham & Berrow, Royal Dornoch, Woodhall Spa

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

John Emerson

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 10:59:47 PM »
Enjoyed it.  Makes the distinction of Americans wanting it green to show status, right from the beginning, apparently.  That may be why it's so hard to turn around. The average members emotional attachment to status far outweighs their desire to play golf in the best fashion possible.
Agreed. But, I believe that golf in the USA and golf in the Uk are not even remotely related and they should not be compared.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Kyle Cruickshank

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 01:45:10 PM »
Thanks, will read these articles later and just wanted to suggest anyone interest gets hold of a copy of Jim Arthur's book Practical Greenkeeping, but they are going for £100 plus on Amazon!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Greenkeeping-Jim-Arthur/dp/0907583121

Its been a while since I read it cover to cover and I said I'd probably only have the time to reread it if I ever got on the greens committee at my club (but then I also said I'd only do that if things started going in the wrong direction, which thankfully with Gordon Irvine consulting the club they arent) but I do dip into it from time to time.
https://shop.randa.org/practical-greenkeeping-third-edition-2

can get a copy from the R&A shop for £30
Cheers,

James

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 10:28:42 AM »
Agreed. But, I believe that golf in the USA and golf in the Uk are not even remotely related and they should not be compared.
I think you are 100% correct, you just can't compare the methods of maintaining the different grasses and climates. Jim Arthur first visited the USA GCSAA in 1987 on the same trip as I did. It was in Phoenix. He spoke in one of the sessions. I did have a tape of the seminar but it will be in some box somewhere but I clearly remember a Canadian Superintendent wiping the floor with him in the Q & A. The Canadian was spot on, Jim had only ever seen 4 US golf courses and was ranting about how bad US maintenance was citing stuff that he clearly had no knowledge on. Jim Arthurs practical greenkeeping won't work in most US states in fact it does not really work anywhere in my opinion where you have high volumes of play. We always said the book should be called 'Impractical Greenkeeping' but the real truth was a 180 degrees to Jim's way which would work perfectly if was 1948 and on a remote course with sheep no budget and golfers happy to putt on greens stimping at 5. I went to America thinking I knew everything about greenkeeping and the yanks were just feed it and weep merchants because thats what Jim fed us. It was on that first meet at TPC Scotsdale I realised I knew shit and a lot less than the Americans. From then I started learning.
In my opinion the book should be thrown away, perhaps in a place where you can just about find it. I much prefered Martyn Jones as an advisor as he was practical.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back