News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

OT--Momentos
« on: November 13, 2020, 01:48:32 PM »
My go to momento has long been a course guide. My wife's is a ball marker. Not long ago, I saw a guy with headcovers from various courses. I thought it was a pretty cool way to remember courses one has played so for my Birthday, I bought myself headcovers from courses I liked (who had online shops). It is fun to see them every time I yank a club out of my bag.

Your go to momento?

Ira

JMEvensky

Re: OT--Momentos
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »
Hard to beat Seve's El Momento  ;D .

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 08:03:29 AM »
Coffee mugs
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Will Spivey

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
Ira,

I'm with you -- I always buy a yardage book when available. Unlike some on this site, I don't have near photographic memory of every hole I've played! With the books I can go back through my round and re-live some very enjoyable days.

If there's a place I really love, I may buy a ball marker as well.  My current go-to ball marker is from Myopia, the favorite course I played last year. I smile every time I mark a ball with it.

If I'm playing a private club, I also try to buy some other merchandise in the shop, if for no other reason than as a "thank you" to the pro.

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
 8)  Typically yardage books and extra card, but those seem to end up in the designated shoeboxes (in garage and office area) only intermittently after cleaning things...

Current mementos are my bag tags from Dixie Cup at Streamsong, and The Loop...  the former gets questions like which course was fav and the latter gets, "Where's that course?"   
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tim Fitz

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 11:08:30 AM »
I have two go-to mementos that I buy in the pro shops of courses I love or courses that have a really cool logo.  A needlepoint belt and a set of tervis mugs.

I have more hats and golf shirts than my wife will reasonably allow me to keep in the closet.  Now I have belts that go with every color shirt I put on.  The mugs are also a great conversation starter when other golf fanatics come over for a drink in the yard - it always starts a conversation about what we love about various golf courses we have played.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »
My wife says I collect anything for momentos!
Logo Balls, ball markers, pencils, etc.   ;D ;D ;D

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 12:07:49 PM »

Logo balls.  I have a rack in my office that I love to stare at when I'm bored and it calls up all kinds of memories. 

I get a logo ball for memorable courses I've played, memorable company (buddies, family), and places I've worked (I have a ball from each corporate job I've worked going back to my first job post grad school).  I also have personalized balls made for every member-guest I participate in - usually with an inside joke shared between the host and myself, and the name and year of the MG. 

My go to momento has long been a course guide. My wife's is a ball marker. Not long ago, I saw a guy with headcovers from various courses. I thought it was a pretty cool way to remember courses one has played so for my Birthday, I bought myself headcovers from courses I liked (who had online shops). It is fun to see them every time I yank a club out of my bag.

Your go to momento?

Ira

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 02:25:19 PM »
Matches

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 05:21:56 PM »
I only keep score cards now. I used to buy bag tags, course maps, or shirts. When I retired I gave 200 shirts away. It got too expensive.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Scott Senior

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 05:33:00 PM »
Logo ball....great way to jar the memory.

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 05:56:33 PM »
When I was a kid I used to collect baseball and football cards so when I first played golf a week before my 13th birthday I guess it just seemed natural to collect a (unmarked) scorecard from each course I played.   At first I kept them in chronological order, but somewhere along the line they fell or got out of order during a move so now they are kept alphabetically.

That collection resides in a nice wooden chest that is almost busting at the seams now that my collection has reached 1,160 courses.   

I also have other boxes of courses I haven't played, and another for "other" variations of scorecards of courses I've played, and boxes of yardage books, and so forth.

I recently made out my will and have donated all of this to the USGA Museum, which is the only place where I can rest easily knowing they still have a purpose for someone out there.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 06:38:54 PM »
Occasionally shirts and sweaters dependent on course and style of wear. Started out with medium and now XXL so a lot of them are gone.
Should have collected poker-chip sized ball markers, but I predated the fad.
I do collect logo golf balls everywhere I play, which is 500+ and now on the 8th display case with nowhere to display them.
Right now they are [/size]Burnham & Berrow and in grocery bags while I anal-ize the collection.  Am missing one Royal Melbourne, Painswick,Shannon (Ireland)Crystal and wineglasses on some bucket list courses.

David Ober

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 08:09:38 PM »
Yardage books. I buy them at every course I go to. I have over 200 since I started collecting. Yes, I know that's nowhere near as many golf courses as some of you have played.  ;D

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 08:17:04 PM »
I forgot yardage books.  Certainly a help when trying to caption pictures.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 09:22:39 PM »
Baseball style cap with logo. Also, a great conversation starter whether on the course or walking to the store.
Don't have one from two NLE courses and it drives me crazy.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 10:53:52 AM »
My wife says I collect anything for momentos!
Logo Balls, ball markers, pencils, etc.   ;D ;D ;D

Lol. Same issues for me.
Mr Hurricane

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »

That collection resides in a nice wooden chest that is almost busting at the seams now that my collection has reached 1,160 courses.   

I recently made out my will and have donated all of this to the USGA Museum, which is the only place where I can rest easily knowing they still have a purpose for someone out there.

Funny, I told my kids that they can throw away my 1500 score cards. I did tell them that some of my golf books are valuable.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 11:08:30 AM »
While not a momento I once had a life-size cardboard cutout of Lee Trevino, replete with the band-aid on his arm hiding the name of an ex-girlfriend and the red socks. Got it from the local Dodge dealership after a promotion ended.  Looked great in the frat house.  Jettisoned by decree of the Mrs.  Still have a Faultless golf ball though.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jason Thurman

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 11:29:29 AM »
I love logo-only memorabilia. Used to always be hats. But I piled up too many of them, and realized I didn't even like some of them. Not every hat looks good on a 7 5/8 size head.

Although my golf-hating wife has started asking for logo-only hats from places lately. She thinks they're kinda cool, and she drives a convertible so they give her a practical way to keep her hair from blowing all over the place. It just happens that all the hats I've gotten for her are from clubs that have hosted the US Women's Open. She likes that that's her theme even though she's mostly oblivious to it.

I don't have any hard and fast rules anymore. I have mostly jettisoned mass-produced name brand polo shirts, in favor of logo-only shirts from golf courses with great logos. I vastly prefer wearing a cool and mostly unrecognized logo to wearing a Ralph Lauren polo horse.

This year, I've realized that I can't stand the look of gaudy OEM headcovers advertising the clubs I carry, so I started shopping for those. But it's tough, because there's only room in the bag for four of them with my current setup. So, like, do I love this course enough to rep it every round?

But on my recent trip to 'Bama, I lost my driver headcover. So that made it obvious - I couldn't wait to get to Shoal Creek and buy a headcover there. Not only does it remind me of a cool place I was lucky enough to visit, but it also reminds me of a great trip where I lost my driver headcover but upgraded it dramatically before it was all said and done. And of course, the wife also got a hat from the site of Ariya's win a few years ago.

Point being: I try to get what makes sense at the time. My next targets are a handsome all black logo-only polo because my capsule wardrobe would benefit from one, along with a putter cover and headcovers for the 3w and hybrid. But it'll take a year of visits to cool places to stumble on the right ones that really speak to me, and I'll buy a few hats and maybe a pint glass or two along the way I'm sure.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Steve Lang

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »
 8)  I have an Adam Clayman autographed Rawlings Balata used at Banff for hitting Ric Holland's hickory driver... a very limited edition memento, and a very long and expensive cab ride remembered by AC
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 11:30:36 AM »
I saw an EBay ad that claimed to be Rory's snapped club from Sherwood a few weeks back.  I was intrigued, but guessing high probability for getting fleeced.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back