News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Drew Harvie

Question on Tom Bendelow in Western Canada
« on: November 12, 2020, 07:49:53 PM »
Folks,

I'm trying to track down someone who's familiar with Bendelow's work as a whole and perhaps his travel schedule around Western Canada. Perhaps someone here can help me out. I've put together a rough timeline of his work in Western Canada, and aside from St. Charles in 1905, majority of his work happened between 1910-1913 in Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge.

More specifically, I'm looking into two courses that claim Tom Bendelow as the original in architect: Lethbridge (1912) and Medicine Hat (1913). They were both quite small towns back then, but I know Bendalow specialized in those areas, and he was around Calgary and Edmonton in that era (I think).

Thanks in advance for the help!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:15:28 PM by Drew Harvie »

Tyler Kearns

Re: Question on Tom Bendalow in Western Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 10:18:36 PM »
Drew,

Tom Bendelow designed the original course at St. Charles, occupying what are currently the South and West nines, opening for play in 1905.  Bendelow was also responsible for the original design at Pine Ridge, also in Winnipeg which opened in August of 1912.  Both courses were renovated by Donald Ross when he came to the city in 1919. 

At Pine Ridge, much of Bendelow's routing and greens still exist.  Ross' plan called for a completely new bunker plan, some new greens and he combined, in a few instances two short holes into one longer hole.  This allowed Ross to insert a number of new holes to bring the course back to 18 holes.

Tyler   

Drew Harvie

Re: Question on Tom Bendelow in Western Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 10:53:25 PM »
Drew,

Tom Bendelow designed the original course at St. Charles, occupying what are currently the South and West nines, opening for play in 1905.  Bendelow was also responsible for the original design at Pine Ridge, also in Winnipeg which opened in August of 1912.  Both courses were renovated by Donald Ross when he came to the city in 1919. 

At Pine Ridge, much of Bendelow's routing and greens still exist.  Ross' plan called for a completely new bunker plan, some new greens and he combined, in a few instances two short holes into one longer hole.  This allowed Ross to insert a number of new holes to bring the course back to 18 holes.

Tyler

Thanks Tyler! I didn't know Ross' renovation of Bendelow's Pine Ridge kept a bit of Bendelow. That's cool.

I was able to get my answer for Lethbridge & Medicine Hat, so I guess I'm good!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back