News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: 2020 Masters
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2020, 04:33:42 AM »
I just heard them mention that Bernhard Langer played in his first major with someone (Sarazen) who was born in 1902.  Now Bernhard is playing in a major with someone born in 2002!
Magnificent score and achievement by Bernard Langer and let's not forget Larry Mize too. Sandy Lyle even. I bet they are tired though ... some of the more elderly former champions apparently stop playing because of the severity of the terrain. Kind of a shame.
atb

PS - How about a Seniors tier at the Masters? Winner gets say a green hoodie? :) :)

Later PSS - as to Sandy's attire this year, well I guess if braces ('suspenders') were okay for Bobby Jones ......

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:01:43 AM by Thomas Dai »

Mike Bodo

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2020, 07:55:00 AM »
Have you seen Sandy Lyle's look this year?  I have to say I never have seen suspenders on a golf course, certainly not in professional golf. I suppose in the old days of Bagger Vance it could have been becoming. Will have to see dress codes at private clubs now to see if they mention you must wear a belt (not suspenders in lieu of).
Yeah, all Sandy was missing were the Plus 9's to round out his wardrobe. LOL! Meanwhile, Hideki Matsuyama was walking around ANGC looking like a candy striper.  ;D ;D
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Mike Bodo

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2020, 08:17:07 AM »
Magnificent score and achievement by Bernard Langer and let's not forget Larry Mize too. Sandy Lyle even. I bet they are tired though ... some of the more elderly former champions apparently stop playing because of the severity of the terrain. Kind of a shame.
It'll be interesting to see how these guys hold up over the weekend given the course, the amount of golf they played yesterday/today and the fact they don't play four consecutive rounds on the Champions Tour save for the majors?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2020, 08:33:10 AM »
Loved seeing DeChambeau lose his ball in the rough yesterday.  He got to experience what it feels like for the rest of us when they let the rough grow long.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2020, 08:36:09 AM »
I don't think I have seen so many different countries represented at the top of the leaderboard, must be at least 10 different flags. :D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2020, 10:05:56 AM »
A screenshot view (by the Fried Egg) of the front of the 14th green that we don't usually get to see during Masters TV coverage.
So many different scenes and angles available to be viewed this year with no spectators present.
atb

Mike Bodo

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2020, 10:11:38 AM »
Yeah, I can't recall seeing the 14th green from that angle on TV before. Very cool! From where Oosthuizen was putting the cup location appeared to be higher than the top of his head when standing completely upright. You can't appreciate the steepness of that green when all you see is the camera angle from behind it.

On a separate note, who is still liking their pic's pre-tournament and has your opinion changed of both the winner and score? I still like Brooks to win it and see him making a move today. I also like Rahm's chances as well, but I am going to stick with Brooks. That said, I don't think -15 is going to win it. With the course finally starting to dry out and get firmer I can see the winning score at - 12 or -13. Should be fun to watching these guys get around a course playing differently from yesterday and Thursday.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:28:17 AM by Mike Bodo »

Peter Flory

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2020, 12:38:58 PM »
Countries represented in the top 20 right now:
U.S. 
South Korea
Spain
Columbia
Japan
Mexico
Australia
England
Taiwan
S. Africa
Canada
Ireland

What a sport!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2020, 01:06:12 PM »
Yeah, I can't recall seeing the 14th green from that angle on TV before. Very cool! From where Oosthuizen was putting the cup location appeared to be higher than the top of his head when standing completely upright. You can't appreciate the steepness of that green when all you see is the camera angle from behind it.

On a separate note, who is still liking their pic's pre-tournament and has your opinion changed of both the winner and score? I still like Brooks to win it and see him making a move today. I also like Rahm's chances as well, but I am going to stick with Brooks. That said, I don't think -15 is going to win it. With the course finally starting to dry out and get firmer I can see the winning score at - 12 or -13. Should be fun to watching these guys get around a course playing differently from yesterday and Thursday.
DJ is hot. Lookout for a runaway. I am not counting out Rahm. What a playoff that would be.
Oops, as I am typing DJ yanks it out of play. :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Peter Flory

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2020, 01:08:17 PM »
Not sure why, but Rahm isn't that pleasing to watch.  He gets it done though. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2020, 01:44:08 PM »
Watching greenside bunker shots being played and pondering the green complexes at ANGC in comparison with what was seen on TV from Houston’s Memorial Open last week.
Seems like the greenside bunkers at ANGC are essentially helpful bunkers for elite players and that the recovery shots, maybe the approach shots as well, would be considerably more challenging if the bunkers weren’t there.
Guess the ‘TV look’ wouldn’t be quite the same though.
Atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »
Looking at the 12th green and how thin it is, I wonder if they have a fan there. It sits in a little spot that must not get a lot of air movement on the ground.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Bodo

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
Today's the first day of the tournament where I really missed having patrons in attendance. There lacked an energy on the course that would normally be present, helping the challengers get some momentum. To his credit, DJ pretty much sucked all the energy out of the room with his blistering start and then put it in cruise control on the back to maintain a four stroke lead. No one seemingly wanted to grab the baton and make a run at him. Rory had it going for while until he bogeyed 13, pretty much putting the kibosh on his chances. While players such as Brooks Koepka, Justin Thomas, Cameron Smith, et al had good rounds by any measure, they were fairly pedestrian. In other words, they birdied the holes you expected them to. Dylan Frittelli had the best round of the would be challengers, but he's no serious threat. Until you've gone through the Sunday grinder at ANGC, you're not prepared to deal with the heat from the spotlight.

The question now becomes 1) will anyone make a serious run at DJ and 2) will he come back to the field and let a bunch of guys back into the tournament? He seems to be in total command of his game right now, so I don't see the latter happening. However, stranger things have occured to players with big leads at ANGC on Sunday. By the same token, I don't see anyone at -12 making a run at him either. As such, the tournament is really DJ's to lose. I hope we have a compelling finish tomorrow, but as of now I don't see anyone giving serious chase to Dustin Johnson.

David_Tepper

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2020, 06:04:14 PM »
"Looking at the 12th green and how thin it is, I wonder if they have a fan there. It sits in a little spot that must not get a lot of air movement on the ground."

Tommy W. -

I am guessing the 12th green probably does not get a whole lot of direct sunlight either, as it sits against the slope behind it.

DT

Thomas Dai

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2020, 03:50:58 AM »
Wonderful to be able to get without spectators being present and from different angles to the norm an inkling of what the terrain and the contours are like. Photos for posterity. Enjoy.
atb

Adam G

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2020, 08:08:46 AM »
No funnel pin on 16 this year! I can't recall seeing it on the back right shelf on Sunday in a long time.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:15:03 AM by Adam Guren »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2020, 08:32:40 AM »
No funnel pin on 16 this year! I can't recall seeing it on the back right shelf on Sunday in a long time.
JN's famous putt on 16 in 1975 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfsBFrD43To
atb
2020 final round hole positions
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:35:39 AM by Thomas Dai »

Adam G

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2020, 08:35:07 AM »
45 years counts as a long time  ;D

David Federman

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2020, 09:10:07 AM »
Watching featured groups streaming this morning. Michael Breed is providing excellent commentary on the course and the camera work is amazing. Without the "patrons" the entire course, its contours, and lay-out are visible and really breathtaking.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »
Watching featured groups streaming this morning. Michael Breed is providing excellent commentary on the course and the camera work is amazing. Without the "patrons" the entire course, its contours, and lay-out are visible and really breathtaking.
Agreed!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2020, 01:08:49 PM »
distinct pleasure watching pros marking their balls near the hole to prevent convenient backstopping for fellow competitors. Wonder how that happened.   And is there a close resemblance between Cameron Smith and Young Tom Morris?

PS I'm on 2 1/2 tape delay so apt to get a spoiler.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:36:11 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2020, 01:45:27 PM »
Bernard Langer < BDC
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Martin

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
Tiger showed the big valentine today after making 10 on number twelve. He nearly ran the table from there to the house making 5 birdies in his final six holes.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »
That was impressive stuff by Tiger. I had given him up for dead after that 10 on 12, as he hasn't looked himself since about half-way through yesterday's round when it appeared he tweaked his back. Way to bounce back!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »
Tiger showed the big valentine today after making 10 on number twelve. He nearly ran the table from there to the house making 5 birdies in his final six holes.
'obviously' a homage to all his competitors from last year on #12.    For me his 1st shot was about 5 minutes after I read this.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back