News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Bodo

2020 Masters
« on: November 12, 2020, 02:36:35 PM »
Figure I would start a thread where we can discuss all things this years Masters tournament.

I'll say right now the course looks really cool with no gallery flanking the fairways or grandstands behind and around the greens. I'm noticing parts of the course on the Masters.com coverage you don't normally see during a normal Masters due to patrons being in attendance. Anyone else feel the same?

On a separate note, how 'bout Tiger's performance thus far today? Impressive, to say the least, as he's historically not played great in the opening round.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Pete_Pittock

Re: 2020 Masters
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 04:01:44 PM »
I wish they would ask a player how it felt starting on #10 and if playing the course that way made it any different.

Play will be suspended with a number of groups on the course. Sunset is about 5:30 local time.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 04:12:12 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if they're able to complete the entirety of the second round tomorrow. Some of the afternoon groups will be lucky to complete nine today. That'll be a lot of golf for them tomorrow.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 04:34:24 PM »
I wish they would ask a player how it felt starting on #10 and if playing the course that way made it any different.

Play will be suspended with a number of groups on the course. Sunset is about 5:30 local time.
I heard Justin Thomas say that for him it's more difficult to be confident in turning the ball properly if 10 is your first tee ball of the day.

William_G

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 04:47:53 PM »
best thing is how civilized the putting is without green reading books, simply awesome
It's all about the golf!

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 05:48:55 PM »
best thing is how civilized the putting is without green reading books, simply awesome

ditto.

The fall lighting or cameras or something seem really different-far more texture and visible slopes.
The drone shots are soooo much better than the aerials.
But as I think of it, it could be just the fact that I'm watching it on my own TV in New York for the first time....ever(drove back from Augusta yesterday).....heavy sigh.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

ward peyronnin

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 06:23:46 PM »
Is it me or are other folks underwhelmed by the tournament today?
 Yes the curiosity factor titillated for a short while. However the lack of patrons and energy is SO palpable to me. The unfortunate soft conditions saw these guys just shoot bullets which is one way to satisfy the golf fan but without the crowds to punctuate these feats of power and ability with appreciative energy it feels like target practice perhaps.

So where I am going with this is witnessing a shotmaking round, which is required by conditions different than today, doesn't require mass hysteria to deliver up an interesting tournament rounds so ignore the bomb and gouge trend at the peril of interesting competitive golf. Pity but golf seems to be going the opposite of that.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 06:36:12 PM »
 Yes the curiosity factor titillated for a short while. However the lack of patrons and energy is SO palpable to me. The unfortunate soft conditions saw these guys just shoot bullets which is one way to satisfy the golf fan but without the crowds to punctuate these feats of power and ability with appreciative energy it feels like target practice perhaps.

So where I am going with this is witnessing a shotmaking round, which is required by conditions different than today, doesn't require mass hysteria to deliver up an interesting tournament rounds so ignore the bomb and gouge trend at the peril of interesting competitive golf. Pity but golf seems to be going the opposite of that.

or a tropical storm just dumped a ton of  rain on a heavy soil site..
It's The Masters and I've been glued to it since 7 am-about to watch the replay.
The lighting, openess without fans and different seasonal look are fascinating to me.

That and I have Casey at 66-1 and Tiger at 35-1, along with Thomas as a hedge :)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Ober

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 06:48:15 PM »

It's The Masters and I've been glued to it since 7 am-about to watch the replay.
The lighting, openess without fans and different seasonal look are fascinating to me.

That and I have Casey at 66-1 and Tiger at 35-1, along with Thomas as a hedge :)

I have Webb at 33 to 1 and Matthew Wolff at 40 to 1.

And I agree with you: it's all about the water dumped on the golf course. Hopefully it dries out to where we have a wonderful, firm(er) Saturday and Sunday.  :)

ward peyronnin

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 06:52:53 PM »
Jeff I fully understand but I just don't feel as inspired with this kinda of golf unvarnished; perhaps if you offered to let my buy into your position that will help? Flashback to the firing range scene in Sgt York watching him squeeze off rounds and they raise the target and count all the bullseyes; powerful but sterile?

Care to reveal how much you have riding on Casey?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 06:58:20 PM »

I have Webb at 33 to 1 and Matthew Wolff at 40 to 1.

And I agree with you: it's all about the water dumped on the golf course. Hopefully it dries out to where we have a wonderful, firm(er) Saturday and Sunday.  :)

Webb scares me(I don't have him but I considered him)
Didn't buy DeChambeau, but I have a lot of favorites as hedges.
Also have Wolff at 40-1 on a reasonable amount so a nice payout for a win there.
I'm pulling for Lanto Griffin at 175-1 but that ship may have sailed today.
I put the most on Bubba as he was my favorite-esp at 28-1

Ward- $50 on Casey
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 09:10:41 PM by jeffwarne »

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 07:18:19 PM »
 8)  A fine GAMBOL opportunity, but I'm maintaining my amateur status... 

I found myself constantly taking screen shots while watching on the Masters.com website... don't miss the crowds at all, finally being able to really see the place... the hills and expansive manicured areas across the site in full eye candy perspective, very cool having never been there...

Shots like this is from live webcams... very nice...  i wonder if this one survives restart of cam in morning? ....prob not, or have i seen this before?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 08:01:27 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Peter Flory

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 07:24:51 PM »
I find it strange that Paul Casey is only 3 years younger than Jack was during the '86 Masters.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 08:07:18 PM »
Additional Friday TV starts at 7:30 ET on ESPN for completion of 1st round
I saw a lot more of green contours as the TV got into the golden hour.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 08:09:47 PM »
Hey at least they aren't pumping in canned crowd noise or standing up cardboard cutouts.

It is ridiculous to be unable to hear football commentators due to fake noise. I would take nonindigenous bird call anyday

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2020, 08:19:21 PM »
If BDC wins, how many calories will be on the menu next year?

Mike Bodo

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2020, 09:03:35 PM »
If BDC wins, how many calories will be on the menu next year?
;D ;D ;D

On a somewhat more serious note, how about 62 yr. old Larry Mize shooting a -2 under 70 round today? Wow, great to see the older guys hanging in there with the young bucks.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 10:30:52 PM »
Did anybody see Spieth hitting balls?
I watched him hit four drivers and each time after addressing the ball he turned his head at least 9 times to check target presumably; I feel badly for him as something swingwise is eating him up

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 11:40:31 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed watching about 2 hours of replay coverage tonight. Yes the energy is missing, but its interesting to see sight lines of other holes and features that were previously impossible with fans errrr patrons everywhere.  16 especially was almost unrecognizable without the stands up the entire left hand side and they had some cool drone shots looking back at 15 from behind the trees at the rear of the green.

P.S.  Even Tiger was impressive, never gets old seeing how he's really learned how to play that course...

Pat Burke

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2020, 11:44:47 PM »
A combination of COVID and other events have given me a swift ball kick financially.

We are working on trying to move our accumulated crap
Out of our house in order to sell.

I had the Masters on while doing work Around the house and I mentioned to my wife how little the telecast grabbed any attention from me.

Normally I would get drawn to and distracted by the telecast and ()I believe) The energy from the crowd noise.

The announcers and blah of the whole thing surprised me.  Could be what we are dealing with, but Augusta has always gotten me pretty excited. Just not in the least today for whatever reason

John Crowley

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2020, 12:58:44 AM »

And did you notice Tigers “yardage book”? An apparently hand written single piece of paper in his left front pocket.

Love it!!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2020, 04:10:09 AM »
Nice to be able to see and appreciate more aspects of the course at ANGC without spectators present.
A late season tournament is kinda nice too. Bookends the season with a significant event.

atb

Tim Leahy

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2020, 06:01:42 AM »
Loved it without fans. Pure golf. No idiots clapping for bad shots and bogies. No clowns shouting "you the man or mashed potatoes". If it wasn't for the money lost I wish it would stay this way. Nobody has to hold up a "quiet please" sign.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2020, 06:56:48 AM »
If it wasn't for the money lost I wish it would stay this way. Nobody has to hold up a "quiet please" sign.
LOL!! Ain't that the truth?

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2020, 07:58:34 AM »
I’ve enjoyed watching all the majors this year but they are just not the same without the fans.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back