News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: I wish there were a "like" button
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2020, 11:07:22 AM »
Thanks John  :)   I will take that as another compliment  ;)   We rehash the same stuff on here over and over (when you have been on this site as long as I have I guess you see that). We have new participants so that is fine but most of the early participants have tired of it, get weary of the sucking up, and left but I have stuck around for the most part because sometimes there are still a few new and interesting topics.  No post will please everyone and my idea of a good one is to create thoughtful and civil debate.  Maybe we should all only start posts that we know will get all likes and everyone will agree on  ???

Do you think there is a lot of participation among newer members? I've been here about 7 years, and at least in that time, it seems like the majority of posting is done by the same small-ish group of people now as then. Of course, if they are the ones putting in the work, that's fine, but there's also a good deal of clubbiness about it, where one person's posts will always get multiple replies while another's, even if it's similar in content, doesn't much get noticed. Perhaps that's because a lot of the newer people haven't met the older people in person. That in-person familiarity seems to be a big part of it.

This does have something to do with social media. I've become much closer with people on golf Twitter, much more quickly, than I've become close with anyone here. Identities are basically hidden here. There are no profiles, no way of knowing who anyone is or what their likes are outside of what they post. That creates a coldness, and a distance, and perhaps a reluctance for newer posters to join the fray. I'm not sure it's fair to expect newer posters to "earn" their attention either, when, as I said above, some people can toss off any leftover of a thought and get guaranteed engagement.

I've spent some time recently thinking about this subject and why golf architecture Twitter sometimes seems more fruitful for me. It probably isn't a like button, but it does have something to do with demystifying who everyone is. The ease of sharing media doesn't hurt either.

^^^^^LIKE

Don’t like.
The last thing I want is to be graded for every post.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David Ober

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2020, 11:08:53 AM »
Thanks John  :)   I will take that as another compliment  ;)   We rehash the same stuff on here over and over (when you have been on this site as long as I have I guess you see that). We have new participants so that is fine but most of the early participants have tired of it, get weary of the sucking up, and left but I have stuck around for the most part because sometimes there are still a few new and interesting topics.  No post will please everyone and my idea of a good one is to create thoughtful and civil debate.  Maybe we should all only start posts that we know will get all likes and everyone will agree on  ???

Do you think there is a lot of participation among newer members? I've been here about 7 years, and at least in that time, it seems like the majority of posting is done by the same small-ish group of people now as then. Of course, if they are the ones putting in the work, that's fine, but there's also a good deal of clubbiness about it, where one person's posts will always get multiple replies while another's, even if it's similar in content, doesn't much get noticed. Perhaps that's because a lot of the newer people haven't met the older people in person. That in-person familiarity seems to be a big part of it.

This does have something to do with social media. I've become much closer with people on golf Twitter, much more quickly, than I've become close with anyone here. Identities are basically hidden here. There are no profiles, no way of knowing who anyone is or what their likes are outside of what they post. That creates a coldness, and a distance, and perhaps a reluctance for newer posters to join the fray. I'm not sure it's fair to expect newer posters to "earn" their attention either, when, as I said above, some people can toss off any leftover of a thought and get guaranteed engagement.

I've spent some time recently thinking about this subject and why golf architecture Twitter sometimes seems more fruitful for me. It probably isn't a like button, but it does have something to do with demystifying who everyone is. The ease of sharing media doesn't hurt either.

^^^^^LIKE

Don’t like.

Tommy, this is a thread lobbying for a "LIKE" button. If you want to start your own thread that lobbies for a "DON'T LIKE" button, feel free!! ;-)

Mike Bodo

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »
I'm not a software engineer, but I suspect having a "like" button added to the current discussion group software would entail a) a customization to the existing software or b) integrating a completely new message group software system. The latter would surely require losing everything that's ever been posted in this forum. A customization to the existing software could result in the same loss of data. There's too much valuable information that's been posted here over the year's to risk having it all vaporize into the internet ether for the sake of having the function of a "Like" button. If it's possible to add a Like function to the existing software inexpensively, I'm all for it provided there's no loss of data. If not, forget it.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 01:51:20 PM »
Everybody who’s ever posted “+1” as a reply makes a great case for a like button.

Mike, back when I posted this thread I researched briefly and got the impression that a like/upvote option is available on this platform.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2020, 01:57:24 PM »
Mike, back when I posted this thread I researched briefly and got the impression that a like/upvote option is available on this platform.
Like I said, if it can be added at a very low cost and no loss of data then I'm in favor. It would be a nice feature to have.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Tim Leahy

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2020, 05:46:43 PM »
I have a friend who is  photographer and I follow him on Twitter. He posts pictures quite often and I feel obligated to "like"  his posts whether I do or not because I am his friend. So posting +1 to me is a better idea instead of liking and probably leads to more explanations of why you like the post as opposed to just hitting a "like" button. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »
In his 2019 introductory post, Ran stated that several upgrades to the site would be forthcoming. A couple of months ago, he stated that the 148th Custodian would be posted. No complaints, but I would not suggest spending a lot of time debating a Like button one way or the other.

Ira

John_Cullum

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »
Will the proposed "Like Button" be any more effective than the "ignore user" button?
Raynor was a hack

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back