News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

OT -Sean Connery, R.I.P.
« on: October 31, 2020, 01:24:29 PM »

Tommy Williamsen

Re: OT -Sean Connery, R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 01:32:00 PM »
The first time I played Pine Valley my host pointed to the membership board. No name listed just 007.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 01:49:12 PM »
I was an uncredited extra in The Untouchables (1987), a movie that I’ve seen a few times, but my scenes were with DeNiro when Capone went to the opera. To watch the scenes evolve in real time with DePalma coaxing some genius out of DeNiro was absolutely epic. They filmed 50 takes of Capone’s interview with the press on the stairs to the opera. The dramatic and comedic evolution was pure art.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 02:05:52 PM »
I met him when I was at Pebble Beach in 2001. First thing I was impressed with is he is a big man, 70 back then and was very friendly. He was on the putting green and apparently nobody noticed him, so I was half not wanting to disturb him so I grabbed a couple balls and began putting.  I somehow made two back to back 30 or so footers and I hear a voice, "can ya teech ma how ta putt like that?" I took off my hat and said, "I'm just acting like a good golfer, pleasure to meet you Mr. Connery."
We talked for like maybe a minute or so about how much a fan I was of his Untouchables character I was, as I was from Chicago. As he walked away heading to the tee, he said "remember lad when he pulls a knife you pull a gun, have fun today." Special day at PB anytime, but that was cool. Back then there were no selfies or phones. I actually had a kodak disposable camera I brought with me that day to take a few photos of the course in my bag. I don't regret not grabbing a photo as it is clear in my head and the memory is as clear as any photo could ever be.
RIP to Sir Sean Connery.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »
I was an uncredited extra in The Untouchables (1987), a movie that I’ve seen a few times, but my scenes were with DeNiro when Capone went to the opera. To watch the scenes evolve in real time with DePalma coaxing some genius out of DeNiro was absolutely epic. They filmed 50 takes of Capone’s interview with the press on the stairs to the opera. The dramatic and comedic evolution was pure art.
Wow that is very cool! In my top 5.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

JMEvensky

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 03:11:13 PM »
The Lurker has a great Sean Connery story if someone can lure him out of the barn.

Joe Bausch to the courtesy phone.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 03:33:01 PM »
He is already missed. Never met him but his manager was my playing companion at Woodhall Spa.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 04:12:38 PM »
My brother-in-law is friends with a guy who’s wife worked in the office at Augusta. She’s retired now. One day back when she worked there the phone rings at her house and her husband picks it up. He hands her the phone and says it’s some guy who sounds like Sean Connery. After she hangs up he asked who it was. She says “Sean Connery you idiot”. Apparently he was a member or making arrangements to visit the club.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 05:26:28 PM »

Ah Yes, playing an Irish Policeman with a Scottish accent was a very worthy Oscar winner.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 06:21:52 PM »

Ah Yes, playing an Irish Policeman with a Scottish accent was a very worthy Oscar winner.

Playing a Russian submarine commander with a Scottish accent was equally as brilliant!  8)
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 06:51:05 PM »
yes but I preferred the Egyptian with the Scottish burr in Highlander.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 06:52:18 PM »
Got paired with Connery at the 1983 Inaugural Las Vegas Celebrity Pro Am.  Good golfer, nice guy. Thing that distinguished him from other celebs I played with was that he asks us to join him in the bar for a post round drink, and even paid.  Compared to another celeb I played with, who asked us to tip his caddy and would not join us for a beer afterward, SC was a very pleasant surprise.

I even told him my Dad's funny story of being introduced to him at some corporate function, and not being a movie fan, had no idea who he was.  Dad asked him if he had been in show biz long, and this was right after 007.  Didn't actually recall the moment, but was nice enough to laugh at the story.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 07:50:27 PM »

Playing a Russian submarine commander with a Scottish accent was equally as brilliant!  8)

Let’s not get all xenophobic here!😅

I was bragging up the New York Italian American guy imitating a Chicago gangster. He did a good job, methinks.

As for Connery, well he just died so I shan’t piss on his soon to be buried casket.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Carl Rogers

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 09:27:33 PM »
The scene with caddy Odd-job, Goldfinger & 007 playing golf was (is) epic.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 09:34:06 PM »
Let’s not get the man confused with the characters he played. 007 was a serial rapist. A scar on cinematic history.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 10:22:46 PM »
Let’s not get the man confused with the characters he played. 007 was a serial rapist. A scar on cinematic history.
Huh??????
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

JESII

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 10:32:29 PM »
On top of Niall, Marty and Brian; certainly a strange tribute thread. Well done boys...love to see such perfection!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 10:35:51 PM »
Huh? ??? ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5saJEidlBc

No does not mean double O.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2020, 10:58:40 PM »
As a movie star he was often a much more interesting actor than a whole lot of actors who could never be movie stars.

Rest In Peace, Sean Connery.

Raise a glass with Robert Shaw and commemorate one of the best fights in cinematic history — the one you two had on the train in From Russia with Love.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 11:01:22 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 11:00:59 PM »
if you advance search Sen Connery there is some great reading from some of our classics

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back