News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Re: "Golf As It Was Meant To Be" NLU Vids
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2020, 10:46:26 AM »
what's super cool about Bandon is that most folks clearly remember every one of the 90 holes on the big courses and the 13 at Preserve, each distinct and unique
It's all about the golf!

Peter Gannon

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 01:03:54 PM »
I do replay them in my mind, on the range, constantly..... yes hitting off mats. 

Tough to recreate the punch 5 Iron I hit into the wind on 18 of Pac Dunes from 125yds, but fun to play those holes during practice. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2020, 01:33:59 PM »
William,

Terrific video, thanks for posting that.  Brought back some great memories of both driving that stretch of highway and seeing the property for the first time when only BD and PD were there.  Tough to beat the Oregon coast line on a beautiful sunny day!

P.S.  I can't recall if it said it outright, but did Mike K fund the entire thing right from the start?  Sounded like he went hunting for investor dollars and was laughed out of the room...

William_G

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2020, 04:52:21 PM »
thanks Kalen, probably right on that, it was a crazy thing really

bringing real links golf to America in Bandon? LOL
It's all about the golf!

David Restrepo

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2020, 06:33:46 PM »
+1 for both the NLU videos and podcasts (No Laying Up and The Trap Draw).

They more you watch and listen and understand the quirks of each guy, the more enjoyable they become.

Having never been to Bandon Dunes, NLU's videos really put the property and courses into perspective. 

Alex Miller

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2020, 07:09:05 PM »
+1 for both the NLU videos and podcasts (No Laying Up and The Trap Draw).

They more you watch and listen and understand the quirks of each guy, the more enjoyable they become.

Having never been to Bandon Dunes, NLU's videos really put the property and courses into perspective.

+2, beyond their Tourist Sauce series (which are tops) I've enjoyed Strapped and their Wild World of Golf events too

David Restrepo

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2020, 07:41:52 PM »
In the depths of lockdown, I decided to watch the Wild World of Golf/Strapped.

Both series, in different ways, exceeded all expectations.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2020, 08:57:00 PM »
In the depths of lockdown, I decided to watch the Wild World of Golf/Strapped.

Both series, in different ways, exceeded all expectations.
Those guys do a great job with their content, as does Erik Anders Lang.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2020, 09:05:50 PM »
Oooooh, hmmm… I think EAL was decent awhile back. Lately, hmm.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

David Ober

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »
Oooooh, hmmm… I think EAL was decent awhile back. Lately, hmm.

Do tell....

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2020, 09:23:00 PM »
Do tell....
What's to tell?

I will say that DJ Piehowski of NLU used to work for EAL? There's a really long-running thread at NLU about how much people dislike EAL. I don't care much one way or the other. His podcasts tend to stink, IMO, and are more about him than the guests, or equally so. He doesn't care about score, but is constantly trying to break 90 or break 80 or telling people what his index is… I don't really care for his videography, or the janky walk-along video.

Beyond that, I don't care much about Random Golf Club or some of the other things that seem to bother some. I think Adventures in Golf was good, but that's a few years in the past now.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2020, 09:59:25 PM »
Do tell....
What's to tell?

I like Erik.  He didn't grow up in the game and we need people like that who are still just discovering it and come from a different perspective . . . that's the way to reach people who are just starting at golf.

I also thought that as an interviewer, he asked some great questions, instead of the same things that people in the business always ask me. 

David Restrepo

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2020, 10:51:33 PM »

He is definitely a polarizing figure on NLU.

Consensus seems to enjoy his old AIG videos and some of his podcast interviews, but the division begins to occur with the content/product placement during his rise to (relative) stardom.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2020, 08:23:59 AM »
I totally get how EAL can be polarizing to some. Yes, he can come off as pompous at times, but his heart is truly in the right place.
As Tom said, he didn't grow up in the game yet has been a great ambassador for it by bringing a degree of "cool factor" to an otherwise stuffy pursuit to a generation of young people who may never have picked up a club had it not been for being introduced to golf through his videos.

That said, it never fails when I watch this EAL video that I am brought to tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvrpfIoG18

This will be EAL's lasting legacy and gift to the game.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2020, 08:52:28 AM »
Forwarded this to my dad and brother and it brought back so many memories of our annual trips around the country each summer together. I really liked DMK thoughts about why people love the course and what he is proud of said something to the effect, "There is nothing I'm not proud of here, it will be here for a millennia with my name immortalized. Golfers will come here to play and in the bar afterwards will talk about the golf course and their lifelong friendships, not one has left without a better friendship than they came with."
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

William_G

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2020, 01:13:19 PM »
listened to those podcasts, great stuff about Bandon etc...
the consistency of content between the vids and the pods is spot on

interesting take by Tron who is playing left handed as a high handicapper, while living his whole life as low handicap right hander
"low cap privilege" LOL

the course ranking at Bandon by these folks is evolving with multiple plays and trips to Bandon
there  is on Sheep Ranch is spot on, despite not ever seeing the 1.0 version, also spot on their take on the uninspired logo

Pacific is dropping in all their preferred plays, and their realization that Old Mac had the worst piece of property is the truth

while they think Old Mac is their least preffered overall, they all still think it's one of the best courses in the world

definitely first world problems when it come to ranking the courses at Bandon LOL

good stuff by NLU

new vid out next week

It's all about the golf!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2020, 02:08:46 PM »
Can someone explain what MK was talking about on why he didn't hire Tom Doak for Bandon Dunes?  It sounded like people would say he is a jerk???  What exactly was he saying?  Not sure if it was tongue in cheek or inside joke I don't get.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2020, 02:39:03 PM »
Can someone explain what MK was talking about on why he didn't hire Tom Doak for Bandon Dunes?  It sounded like people would say he is a jerk???  What exactly was he saying?  Not sure if it was tongue in cheek or inside joke I don't get.

"Mike Keiser says it was Doak’s first guide that caught his attention. “He confirmed for me what a lot of my friends and I were thinking,” he says, “which was, the old courses were better than the new ones.” In the late eighties, Keiser spent four years trying to find land to build his own golf course, and, not long after reading Doak’s booklet, he purchased the 1,200 acres on the Oregon coast that became Bandon Dunes resort. He knew he wanted to hire Doak but also knew he couldn’t have him build the first course at Bandon. “He was ‘Terrible Tom,’ and he wrote things like, ‘I don’t have to go see a Jack Nicklaus course to know it’s a 5’ ”—out of 10. “I just thought there would be too much controversy to use him as the first architect.” Keiser is referring to what was termed the “Doak Scale” in the booklet—and in subsequent hardcover editions of the guide. A 5 isn’t necessarily a bad score, but it also means one shouldn’t go out of their way to see a course. Nicklaus was and still is the most popular golf-course architect in the world, and he is golf’s greatest champion. Privately, many people thought his courses were merely serviceable, but no one said it publicly until Doak. Nor has he backed down from this or any other criticism."

Redefining the Green: Tom Doak’s Radical Minimalism

William_G

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2020, 10:24:28 AM »

"Mike Keiser says it was Doak’s first guide that caught his attention. “He confirmed for me what a lot of my friends and I were thinking,” he says, “which was, the old courses were better than the new ones.” In the late eighties, Keiser spent four years trying to find land to build his own golf course, and, not long after reading Doak’s booklet, he purchased the 1,200 acres on the Oregon coast that became Bandon Dunes resort. He knew he wanted to hire Doak but also knew he couldn’t have him build the first course at Bandon. “He was ‘Terrible Tom,’ and he wrote things like, ‘I don’t have to go see a Jack Nicklaus course to know it’s a 5’ ”—out of 10. “I just thought there would be too much controversy to use him as the first architect.” Keiser is referring to what was termed the “Doak Scale” in the booklet—and in subsequent hardcover editions of the guide. A 5 isn’t necessarily a bad score, but it also means one shouldn’t go out of their way to see a course. Nicklaus was and still is the most popular golf-course architect in the world, and he is golf’s greatest champion. Privately, many people thought his courses were merely serviceable, but no one said it publicly until Doak. Nor has he backed down from this or any other criticism."

Redefining the Green: Tom Doak’s Radical Minimalism
[/quote

The NLU podcast folks also clearly point out the egregiousness of TD giving Pacific a 10 while giving Bandon Dunes a 7. LOL

It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2020, 11:03:56 PM »
on to Pacific, great stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vibk0F-KlxU&feature=youtu.be

what a beautiful site with 5 courses, just insane
It's all about the golf!

Alex Miller

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2020, 11:55:02 PM »

The last scene looks like it was pulled out of a big budget movie. Really impressed by this series, and I went in with high expectations.

William_G

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2020, 07:16:40 AM »

The last scene looks like it was pulled out of a big budget movie. Really impressed by this series, and I went in with high expectations.
yes the last scene was fanatastic and had all those birds flying by, so Bandon!!
I can tell it took some thought to get out to that beach, LOL
the last scene in the previous TS (Old Mac) was epic!
these guys are creating great golf content, fun
It's all about the golf!

Mike Bodo

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2020, 07:54:05 AM »
yes the last scene was fanatastic and had all those birds flying by, so Bandon!!
I can tell it took some thought to get out to that beach, LOL
the last scene in the previous TS (Old Mac) was epic!
these guys are creating great golf content, fun
The last scene was borderline cinematic. It brought a tear to my eye. Overall, the footage from PD, music compilation and edits were superb! Arguably their best course vlog yet.

William_G

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2020, 09:23:59 AM »
exactly, I love Bandon, and sharing this season with family, friends, and/or employees, just makes my voice quiver and brings tears of joy in helping those understand my love from a very well done perspective, thank you to the TS crew
It's all about the golf!

Mike Bodo

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2020, 10:00:42 AM »
On a separate note, for those who have played Pacific Dunes, was anyone surprised by Neil's critique of holes 14, 16 and 18 and or in agreement with some or all his opinions? Having never played there, I have no opinion. I'm curious as to what others who have played the course feel about those holes and others on PD they either love or have issue with.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back