News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

"Golf As It Was Meant To Be" NLU Vids
« on: October 26, 2020, 09:35:55 PM »
over twenty years in now at Bandon, it is undeniable the greatness in golf that Mike Keiser has achieved, yet let NLU introduce you or remind you again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efPdSuB0f0

golf mecca
It's all about the golf!

Cal Seifert

Re: "Golf As It Was Meant To Be" NLU Vids
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 10:28:50 AM »
What a great video. Their production quality has gotten so much better. Easily the best golf content on YouTube.

William_G

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 10:47:52 AM »
yes really well done video

looking forward to their course vids...all 5
It's all about the golf!

Cal Seifert

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 11:35:23 AM »
Old Macdonald video is being aired tonight at 8 EST

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 12:59:07 PM »

I don't think Matt Ginella will be tuning into that one:

https://twitter.com/MattGinella/status/1320831342322601991
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Cal Seifert

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 01:03:51 PM »

Crazy considering he named his child after the resort

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 01:14:42 PM »

Crazy considering he named his child after the resort

Oh, I assumed he got paid to do that.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

William_G

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 03:25:28 PM »
that is funny Mark!
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 03:26:55 PM »
lots of great quotes in the vid!

"play sunup to sundown, 3 or 4 days in a row, never bored, not see the same shot twice"
It's all about the golf!

Mike Bodo

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 06:27:23 PM »
I've been following the NLU boys for years. As someone previously mentioned, their video production quality has only gotten better in that time.

I'm curious, when Mike Kaiser was asked about how he went about selecting the architect to build the first course at Bandon, he mentioned wanting to hire our beloved Tom Doak, but opted against it because he had the rep as being "Terrible Tom" at the time. Can someone here expand on what he meant by that? Was Tom known to be overly difficult to work with at the time and did the golfing press have a problem with him as well? I found Kaiser's statement rather odd considering Tom and Renaissance Golf are the authors of three courses there.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

William_G

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 09:35:27 PM »
Mike,

When you are the owner, many things are in play, nuff said.
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 09:44:22 PM »
Old Mac

when looking at all 5 courses, much effort went into the template concept at Old Macdonald albeit under-appreciated by cheerleading and unstudied folks like Ginella who is as positive about Bandon as anyone.

In some ways you could say that Old Mac evokes those internal feelings of a sense of place like no other, as in the parting great shot of the Labryinth, awesome stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByX-wsH7MbE

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 11:13:55 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

JohnVDB

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 10:08:34 AM »
I’ve seen their videos in the past and thought they were ok. Since I lived in Oregon for many years and only have YouTube to watch here I started watching this series. 

I was surprised how much Gearhart (Episode 2) had changed since I played there a few times in the 90s.  It looks way better now. See it at [size=78%]https://youtu.be/bXYuDtLwCg4[/size]

William_G

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 10:31:59 AM »
one of toughest stretches of holes at the resort can be 10-12 at Old Mac, "Bottle", "Road", "Redan"
It's all about the golf!

Mike Bodo

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 12:16:15 PM »
Great stuff last night with NLU's expose of Old Mac. Looking at that course from photos or Google Earth earth doesn't do it justice as video does. What an incredible and inspiring layout. Has just about everything a golf architecture aficionado could want.  Congrats, Tommy! I can't wait to play it and your other courses there soon.  :)

William_G

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 01:19:14 PM »
Great stuff last night with NLU's expose of Old Mac. Looking at that course from photos or Google Earth earth doesn't do it justice as video does. What an incredible and inspiring layout. Has just about everything a golf architecture aficionado could want.  Congrats, Tommy! I can't wait to play it and your other courses there soon.  :)

great routing, and fantastically inspired golf holes
It's all about the golf!

David_Elvins

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 04:47:12 PM »

The consensus from the no laying up crew was the same.  Pac Dunes and Old Mac the 4th and 5th ranked courses on the property.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 05:02:29 PM »
The consensus from the no laying up crew was the same.  Pac Dunes and Old Mac the 4th and 5th ranked courses on the property.
That's interesting, because Big Randy said Old Mac was his favorite course at Bandon in Episode #4 (see the 5:45 mark), which isn't the same as saying Old Mac is the best.

William_G

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 08:10:44 PM »
so here we are contemplating the least favorite course at Bandon thanks to MG, geez, I'd say he must be regretting that post, or at least I would as the cheerleader in chief for Bandon

very challenging times and difficult to stay positive these days hahaha
It's all about the golf!

David_Elvins

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 11:42:43 PM »
That's interesting, because Big Randy said Old Mac was his favorite course at Bandon in Episode #4 (see the 5:45 mark), which isn't the same as saying Old Mac is the best.

If you havent listened, they had a 2 part podcast on the trip 3 weeks ago (eps 362 and 363) where they talk a lot about the courses. Some interesting takes.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 12:33:32 AM »

If you havent listened, they had a 2 part podcast on the trip 3 weeks ago (eps 362 and 363) where they talk a lot about the courses. Some interesting takes.
I'll check that podcast episode out, but I'll wait until after the Tourist Sauce season is over or at least the Bandon portion of it and compare what the general consensus is amongst the guys on that podcast episode and see how it stacks up to their commentary on each course on their Vlog.

William_G

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2020, 08:25:59 AM »
thank David, will do later today
It's all about the golf!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2020, 09:19:24 AM »
i just returned from BD travelling with a large group. I marvel at how well they operate. In five days I don't remember seeing a food or any other delivery and they push a lot of product out nor did I see mantenance underway on the course; they dont overcharge( $7 for pancake breakfast at the lodge).
Most of the fellow travellers did not place Old Mac on high on their list as I feared would happen; I had even sent this site's course review out to some of them in vain.

I sense that ranking the courses boils down to a personal style preference; most of these players are country clubbers and Trails is probably the closest thing to what they expect to see on a course so it got a lot of positives. I had previously preferred PD but after this trip and my second playing of OM I just truly feel a connection . The creativity of the greens and the refined use of wonderfully flowing features and the pacing are things that separate it for me.
BTW the NLU episode on Sweetens Cove is HILARIOUS and well worth the watch

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Jason Thurman

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2020, 09:51:03 AM »
i just returned from BD travelling with a large group. I marvel at how well they operate. In five days I don't remember seeing a food or any other delivery and they push a lot of product out nor did I see mantenance underway on the course; they dont overcharge( $7 for pancake breakfast at the lodge).

+1. Even aside from the golf, Bandon separates itself from every high-end golf facility I've experienced by getting every little detail right, and delivering value. It's an expensive place to stay and play, but there's no nickel-diming and every dollar you spend returns something tangibly excellent.

Most of the fellow travellers did not place Old Mac on high on their list as I feared would happen; I had even sent this site's course review out to some of them in vain.

I sense that ranking the courses boils down to a personal style preference; most of these players are country clubbers and Trails is probably the closest thing to what they expect to see on a course so it got a lot of positives. I had previously preferred PD but after this trip and my second playing of OM I just truly feel a connection . The creativity of the greens and the refined use of wonderfully flowing features and the pacing are things that separate it for me.

This part of Ward's post gets me thinking about another thing that separates Bandon from other facilities in its class: the courses take risks rather than trying to appeal to everyone, resulting in more interesting debate and more varied personal preferences.

Consider Pinehurst. Everybody loves #2. People also like #4 and #8. And there are other courses located at the facility.

What's the most beloved course at Bandon, though? LOTS of people love Bandon Dunes, and LOTS of people love Pacific Dunes. There are probably fewer of us who rate Trails #1, but we're passionate enough about it and there are enough of us to at least make our opinion one worth engaging with and debating. Old Mac is probably the most polarizing of the original four and maybe the most fun course out there to discuss, given that people who have heard of Mackenzie Walkers tend to be awed by it while people who have never heard of a Mackenzie Walker tend to hate it because the greens are too big... that's the conversation I've had a half-dozen times since my visit last year, anyways.

Bottom line: the courses at Bandon take risks that won't appeal to everyone, but that will appeal to many and stoke passion for some. And that's WAY more interesting than, like, Kohler having one pretty unanimously heralded course, one that's pretty great but maybe a little too weird in the middle, one that's boring for 9 holes before getting excellent but pretty tough on the average resort player for 9, and one that's just weird AF.

And honestly, Kohler is probably the WORST example to use - it's not nearly as "try to please everybody" in ethos as most multi-course facilities, but it doesn't come close to Bandon in terms of willingness to get outside the box and risk being polarizing if it means building something that's special and unique and that creates real passion.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »

The one common factor in ranking the courses is the same person's opinion will change over time .. and then change again .. and again. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back