News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

OT? - Home Golf Simulator Advice
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:29:06 PM »
As we gear up for a long COVID winter up here in Minnesota I've been looking into installing (at a bare minimum) a hitting net and mat in my garage.

First off, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good quality mat and net?

Secondly, not sure if any folks here have any experience with any one of the (seemingly) thousands of home golf simulator systems? Not really looking for (or need) the $50thd Trackman setup, but feel like the $300 Optishot might be a piece of junk. Would be nice to be able to "play" a couple of golf courses that I recognize as well as have a "range" setting to get me through the winter months.

Appreciate any insight or recommendations anyone might have. 
H.P.S.

Peter Le

Re: OT? - Home Golf Simulator Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 10:00:11 PM »
I'm in the process of building a basement simulator. Mat-wise, I initially went with a Country Club Elite 5'x5' mat. I liked that you can hit like you're taking a divot, but it felt like hitting out of the rough all the time. I can see how some people had tendonitis injuries with it. I sent it back and have loved the rainorshinegolf.com SwingTurf. it's less abrasive than the CCE mat, you can still hit downward, and it's cheaper. I'll defer to others re: a hitting net. I went through carlofet.com for a DIY simulator impact screen to combine with a short throw projector and Mevo+ launch monitor (one son is a lefty and the other is a righty - I didn't want to keep moving a SkyTrak back and forth). Happy hitting this winter! ~PL
PL

Michael Felton

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 11:04:06 PM »
I have a SkyTrak, a fiberbuilt mat and a pro net return. The only thing I’d maybe change is getting a true strike mat, but they are very expensive. GC2 occasionally have sales on their refurb units. That’s really good but again still expensive, especially if you want club data.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 10:27:54 AM »
As far as nets go, I would recommend the Net Return Pro Series.   I've had one in the basement for a few years and love it.  Their customer service is excellent as well.   My net developed a small hole and they replaced it free of charge.

https://www.thenetreturn.com/products/pro-series-v2

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 02:43:13 PM »
My only recommendations:
  • Mevo+ but you need to have the room. SkyTrak integrates with The Golf Club and you can play a ton of courses, though. Will depend on whether you're a serious practicer or you really just want to simulate a lot. Plus the righty/lefty stuff.
  • TrueStrike mats.
  • Archery netting - https://westcoastnetting.com/sports/archery-netting/ - It'll take a beating and last FOREVER. You can install it just where impact occurs and keep your sides/top lighter netting as it won't be hit often or forcefully.
I think projecting onto a screen is over-rated, and you have alignment issues, etc. sometimes, too. I know a lot of people who just have a big display (even one has a TV) and they just watch their shots on that. But I do get the appeal of a projector, too. Just saying it may not be absolutely necessary.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

SB

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 01:42:28 PM »
As a driving range owner, I can tell you when it comes to mats, you get what you pay for.  There are a lot of really terrible mats out there that are like hitting off of concrete and don't last very long.  One thing you might consider is going to your local range/club and see if they are selling their old mats.  We sell our used ones and there is usually one area that is worse than the others, which you can stand on while you hit off the good side.  We sell ours for $20, so even if it only lasts a year, you're in good shape.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 11:10:19 AM »
From WSJ article in 2001, re Masayoshi Son:

"They gazed upon the $3 million electronic golf range in the basement that simulates conditions on real courses. When Mr. Son pushed a few buttons, the floor tilted, an ocean-scented breeze swept the room and a light rain fell from the ceiling. Mr. Gates's response, according to Mr. Son and others in the room, was: 'Wow.'"

John Foley

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 12:48:54 PM »
Highly recommend the Skytrack simulator. Had mine for about 9 months and have had nothing but success with it. Have not done much with the playing the courses vs the practice mode but it is a great way to pass the winter months and keep the game sharp.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 05:58:49 PM »
https://www.foresightsports.com/simulators/residential

A friend has one of these.  His third simulator.  Swears by it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back