News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Kiely

How about "Moat," the par-4 12th at PGA West Stadium?

It's a very cool hole, imo

Does it need the front bunker though? I actually think it detracts a bit from the hole as it turns the approach into an aerial approach to a yardage, which to some degree negates the advantage of hitting to the right side of the fairway and being able to see the green.  Not that I would change it, it fits the course perfectly and there is a definite skill to trusting youur yardages on a blind shot. 

Considering the hole is named "Moat" and that's where the bunker is, I bet Pete would say it needs the front bunker.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

David_Elvins

Considering the hole is named "Moat" and that's where the bunker is, I bet Pete would say it needs the front bunker.

Sorry, i meant doesnt need the front bunker...to be a good hole. Not...to be a moat hole. 

I have seen Doak use half blind feature half a dozen times without a front bunker and it works fine.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the hole and the course and I am glad you brought it up, but it a course not designed for repeat play or a wide variety of golfers and that makes it hard for it to be truly great architecture.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:48:50 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mark Kiely

I just meant because the name is moat and that's where the bunker is, I suspect Dye considered the bunker to be the defining feature of the hole, moreso than the half-blind approach.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Kevin Pallier

David

I think Tom has already mentioned Alps re: 3rd at NGLA

A couple I can think of  = 7 & 8 Pine Valley

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back