News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Hohman

does any club/course offer its own beer?
« on: October 15, 2020, 12:29:15 AM »
A brew made on and named for the premises would draw me. Anyone else? Do such places exist?

A plausible income stream and "grow the game" initiative?

I assume this proposition could not fly in GB&I, where the local pubs suffice, thank you very much.

(This thread was fueled/powered by local IPAs. :D )
newmonumentsgc.com

Kevin_Reilly

Re: does any club/course offer its own beer?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 01:14:26 AM »
The beer industry has struggled the last few years (maybe Covid gave a respite) but at best, a "private label" from a neighboring brewery would be the only practical solution.  Source:  was on finance committee of my club for 5 years and know F&B margins well, and also know that subsidizing the cost of an in-house brew would not be a profitable use of club $$$.  Let someone else develop the beer, and then private label it.  Just my opinion.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill Seitz

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 01:56:16 AM »
A brew made on and named for the premises would draw me. Anyone else? Do such places exist?

A plausible income stream and "grow the game" initiative?

I assume this proposition could not fly in GB&I, where the local pubs suffice, thank you very much.

(This thread was fueled/powered by local IPAs. :D )

Kingsley does not have beer brewed on premises, but they partner with Right Brain, a local brewery in Traverse City, to brew Niblick Pale Ale, brewed exclusively for the course.  I imagine it's not available anywhere else, and isn't on the brewery's website (so likely not available there).  It's a solid beer. 

I imagine the permitting would be kind of a nightmare if a club wanted to brew and sell its own beer.  In addition to what Kevin said, I could see a private label collaboration that went as far as using ingredients from a particular club.  Thinking here of something like a honey beer using honey from hives on site, which we have at Kingsley every year.  Would be a nice additional tie in.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 02:01:03 AM »
My course (36- semiprivate) went with a wine theme.  It is near wine country in Oregon, but WA, ID, OR produce 90% of hops in the USA and a brewery theme may have been a better selection. Or now, maybe marijuana or hemp. We do have a course by the name of Tokatee.

There seem to be a few wine themes (Wente for example).  If you took a sample of golfers, I think there would be more beer drinkers than wine sippers. The downside would be local law enforcement camped out near the parking lot.

Brian Ross

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 09:21:16 AM »
Ironclad Brewery in Wilmington, NC recently purchased the former Belvedere Country Club in Hampstead and has converted it into Ironclad Golf and Beer Garden. Their long-term plans include an on-site distillery but they will continue to brew their beers off-site at their main brewery. As an architect who's also an avid home brewer, this concept is very intriguing to me.
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 09:35:35 AM »
Farmington Country Club in Charlottesville, VA has a 1927 Lager that is brewed by a local brewery, Champion Brewing Company, exclusively for the club.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 09:56:00 AM »
A little bit of a tangent but Journeyman Distillery in Three Oaks, MI has a Himalaya's style putting course attached called Welter's Folly. Met the owner Bill Welter waiting for a shuttle at Sand Valley last weekend -- great guy.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Bruce Katona

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 10:21:00 AM »
I'm thinking John K when I saw this.  I hope his home club has one named in his honor.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 10:36:29 AM »
Not sure if it was made on the premises, but Rich Harvest Farms had its own brew when I was there 10 years ago.

Peter Flory

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »

This one isn't made on site, but I thought that it was a good idea when I saw it.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 01:42:49 PM »
Rideauview Golf Club in Manotick, just south of Ottawa.  Hops are grown on-site.

https://scoregolf.com/blog/rick-young/rideau-views-home-brew/

Rideau View Golf Club is authoring of one of the more unique business stories in Canadian golf these days. No pun intended, it’s quite a refreshing tale.

Billed as a “white collar golf club with a blue collar mentality” the Manotick, Ont., private course near Ottawa has created its own craft beer, No. 17.

It’s an appropriate name.

The Cascade and Centennial hops that comprise Rideau View’s thirst-quenching beverage are grown on-site, right next to the club’s seventeenth tee.

In craft beer lingo, No. 17 is a Blond Ale with a 4.7 ABV and an 18 on the IBU (International Bitterness Units) scale. It’s described as featuring a hint of hops in the aroma; light on the tongue; and producing the kind of crisp finish discerning beer drinkers appreciate.

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 06:07:55 PM »
I thought that Pinehurst had its own line of beers.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 10:56:50 PM »
My friend at Overbrook in Bryn Mawr PA told me that a local brewery had made a beer for their two day member guest.   It was called 1901 and was in keeping with the course rating over 7.0%.  None was left by mid morning of day two.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 12:13:40 AM »
I thought that Pinehurst had its own line of beers.

https://www.pinehurstbrewing.com/home

1895 Lager is sold in cans.

BHoover

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 08:29:57 AM »
I believe New Albany CC outside Columbus offers its own beer because of a quirk in the local law — in order to qualify a liquor license in the township in which it’s located, the club needed to brew its own beer. That was the gist of the story my host told me when I first played there about 15 years ago.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 10:17:37 AM »
Similary, Penn National Golf in Franklin County PA operates their bar in partnership with a local brewery from an adjacent county (Adams) to comply with Franklin County liquor laws, as I understand it.  Can only sell PA products.  Crying shame when a man can't have a Budweiser after a round.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 10:25:34 AM by Bernie Bell »

Greg Hohman

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 08:56:38 PM »
Thanks for the informed opinions and cool examples. My friends, all tipplers but one, and I usually toss around the names of 3-4 courses before picking one. If one offered its own brew...As things stand without that consideration, I can count on one hand the number of times we have hit the respective 19th holes. We aren’t hipsters, but a drab room offering Bud and Golf Channel doesn’t cut it either.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 02:06:42 AM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

John McCarthy

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 05:41:15 PM »
Medinah serves Medinah Ale by Lake Effect Brewing. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Kris Spence

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2020, 08:52:32 PM »
The owners of Quixote own a brewery in town, the Sumter Original Brewery or SOB 😎  I’ve sampled 4 of their 6 beers so far and enjoyed them all.  I liked the Stout and Porter a lot.  I didn’t get down there as much as I would have liked due to the virus stuff but I would expect the club to offer the full selection in the clubhouse next summer.

The course will be fully complete early summer 21 but there will be some limited membership golf later this fall.

PCCraig

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 09:47:18 PM »
Shoreacres serves a “Raynor Ale” in its locker room. Pretty sure it’s from Two Brothers in Chicago.
H.P.S.

David Restrepo

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2020, 09:57:28 PM »
I believe St. Andrews Beach has a good relationship with St. Andrews Beach Brewery - located across the road from the course. 

Mark Kiely

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2020, 10:07:17 PM »
I recently saw an Instagram post from an Ohio course called Valley of the Eagles that seems to have its own IPA and Pilsner.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

JohnVDB

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 03:29:20 AM »
Royal Dornoch has Dornoch Ale on tap, but as I understand it, it is just relabeled Bellhaven’s Best.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2020, 01:55:14 AM »
Royal Dornoch has Dornoch Ale on tap, but as I understand it, it is just relabeled Bellhaven’s Best.

I suspect this is very common.  A clip for the beer tap or handpump featuring the club's name with "Ale" after it can be bought for a couple of quid. It will almost certainly be popular with visitors.

The beer actually dispensed could be anything.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back