News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Best final 3 holes
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 03:43:03 AM »
Hard to see past the old course! 16 is my favourite hole on the course, and I think the variety of ways the holes could be played means I would never grow tired of them.

I agree, tough to look past TOC depite the fairway debacle on 16. Hunstanton is extremely strong. Same for North Berwick. I really like Cleeve Cloud's finish.

Carnoustie has too much water for my liking. It's not terribly nuanced, just bloody difficult.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:35:06 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ben Stephens

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 03:58:31 AM »
Hard to see past the old course! 16 is my favourite hole on the course, and I think the variety of ways the holes could be played means I would never grow tired of them.

I agree, tough to look past depite the fairway debacle on 16. Hunstanton is extremely strong. Same for North Berwick. I really like Cleeve Cloud's finish.

Carnoustie has too much water for my liking. It's not terribly nuanced, just bloody difficult.

Ciao

Sean

Carnoustie hardly has much water surface area wise however it really comes into play on 17 and 18 (16 is a bit off the beaten path) its prob the best last three holes for the Open as its what alex Ferguson says 'Squeaky Bum Time' for the TV viewers as well as the players  ;D  you just need to place the ball in the right areas for me its a fantastic finish and last time I played it i needed a driver to hit to reach the 16th and hit a driver over the second crossing of the Burn on the 17th - 18 was more like 3 long shots to get on the green it plays differently every time you play.

Doral has hectares of water on its last 3 holes. Sawgrass as well.

Hunstanton I would be happy to finish the last 3 in 2 or 3 over par - 17th is more like a par 4.5 it is that difficult to hit the green and left or right of the green is a very tough up and down.

Cheers
Ben

Ben Stephens

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 03:59:25 AM »

Cavendish has a pretty strong finish.

It has, but arguably the finish of the original MacKenzie routing is even stronger.

14 - the par 5 with the wall and raised green

6 - excellent  par 4 from elevated tee playing to green in the pine trees

18 - the second best finishing hole in English golf (after Kington)

There is serious talk about us reverting to the  original order of holes.

Why don't you ask the club to revert to that finish like Welshpool who Sean says have changed the numbering of the holes

Pat Burke

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 04:08:42 AM »
You always know the last three are waiting at Carnoustie.
Kingston Heath has an amazing finish
It takes some good play And some interesting shots to finish a round there!

The last three at TPC Cromwell aren’t great but are Great theater for a finish of a tournament imo

Richard Fisher

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2020, 04:37:57 AM »
In England
St Enedoc (although I haven't played the extended 16th)
Hunstanton (perhaps the best bit of the entire links)
Deal is very good, ditto RStG, and I also really like the closing stretch at RND, which is a fab match-play ending.
In Scotland
Warm agreement with TOC, Muirfield and Carnoustie: Prestwick and North Berwick also terrific.

Seems  harder to think of really strong UK 'final threes' inland, somehow. Perhaps Walton Heath Old? Sunningdale Old?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2020, 06:11:28 AM »
The Sand Hills final trio are a clear notch above Merions.

5-3-4 instead of 4-3-4 equals better balance and one could handily argue all three are more dramatic and beautiful than Merion's closers. No knock on Merion whatsoever, but it receives far more attention and exposure due to it's storied competitive history and quasi-urban location.

Breaking them down further you have three world class examples of golf holes: One of the world's Top 10 short par 3's(#17); #'s 16 & 18 are two of the finest examples of risk-reward par 5 & 4's found anywhere respectively. Surely, Merion's #17 would fit into a group of the best long one-shotter's, but #'s 16 & 18 are far from great examples of risk-reward, nor do they offer much in the way of non-aerial game versatility. You could argue #18 there has a little, but it's wee bit compared to Sand Hills.

The nod goes clearly to Sand Hills IMO.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 07:45:39 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2020, 06:25:37 AM »
Ireland isn’t that blessed with great finishes (for all 3 holes) on its best courses. Perhaps I’d put the best three as:

- Waterville
- Portrush (new routing)
- Carne

You might have to revise that one next year   ;)

I hope so, Tom. Have you a favourite stretch at the new course? Surely it wouldn’t be giving too much away...

To the three I mentioned above, I could add Portmarnock - Darwin calling the last 5 the strongest finish in golf - but could be accused of being a homer... Really like The Island too.

There are plenty of great courses with two out of three where one hole is slightly mundane / weaker. Feel quite a few of the courses mentioned in this thread fall under that category.

Might choose Walton Heath Old as my favourite heathland finish... As for GB links, TOC (dependent on view on 18th), Carnoustie, St.Enodoc.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2020, 07:20:57 AM »

It has, but arguably the finish of the original MacKenzie routing is even stronger.

Why don't you ask the club to revert to that finish like Welshpool who Sean says have changed the numbering of the holes

Watch this space...

😉

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2020, 10:16:53 AM »

Watch this space...

Where does the 15th fit in?

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:05:27 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Eric LeFante

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 01:26:11 PM »

5-3-4 instead of 4-3-4 equals better balance and one could handily argue all three are more dramatic and beautiful than Merion's closers. No knock on Merion whatsoever, but it receives far more attention and exposure due to it's storied competitive history and quasi-urban location.

Breaking them down further you have three world class examples of golf holes: One of the world's Top 10 short par 3's(#17); #'s 16 & 18 are two of the finest examples of risk-reward par 5 & 4's found anywhere respectively. Surely, Merion's #17 would fit into a group of the best long one-shotter's, but #'s 16 & 18 are far from great examples of risk-reward, nor do they offer much in the way of non-aerial game versatility. You could argue #18 there has a little, but it's wee bit compared to Sand Hills.

Steve,

I can't argue that the final 3 at Merion have more strategy than Sand Hills but I don't think the final 3 at Sand Hills are clearly more beautiful and dramatic than Merion (hitting over a rock quarry 3 times is quite dramatic).

Are the final 3 greens at Merion more interesting than the final 3 at Sand Hills?

Is it as satisfying hitting the green in regulation on the final 3 at Sand Hills as it is at Merion (or in 2 on the par 5 16th)? I hit the 18th green at Merion in regulation and it very well may have been the most satisfied I've ever been on a golf course. The difficulty of the final 3 at Merion and the feeling of accomplishment of playing the shots demanded of you cannot be overlooked.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »
[size=0pt]Mid Pines. 16 elevated tee to dogleg left to perhaps the most contoured green on the course. 17 Dogleg right to significantly sloped green which may be the toughest approach shot to hold. 18 slight left dogleg to green with a front to back swale that creates some difficult double breaking putts and all overlooked by the iconic Mid Pines hotel behind the 18th green[/size][/font][/size][/font]
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Ira Fishman

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2020, 04:21:24 PM »
[size=0pt]Mid Pines. 16 elevated tee to dogleg left to perhaps the most contoured green on the course. 17 Dogleg right to significantly sloped green which may be the toughest approach shot to hold. 18 slight left dogleg to green with a front to back swale that creates some difficult double breaking putts and all overlooked by the iconic Mid Pines hotel behind the 18th green[/size]

Jay,

I was thinking that if the question were the best three closing Par 4s, Mid Pines is the answer.

Ira

Bill Brightly

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2020, 08:06:45 PM »
Cabot Cliffs for me.

jeffwarne

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2020, 09:30:09 AM »
                                                              Scroll slightly right at bottom for best results-sorry(it's worth it)

Pretty good finish here, and 6/15 is pretty special as well
                                                               the appetizer par 5 at 6/15 before the finish(below)
                                                              (Picture taken from behind/left of green as you play it(tee upper right)

Finish-In reverse order
                                                                             #9/18 epic par 3 180 yards-below

#17 -second shot-below

#17 par 4 400-above

#16 par 3 210-below

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:30:59 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Pelliccione

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2020, 12:40:31 PM »
Outstanding list Eric and I have to agree with you that Merion is a very strong contender for the best closing stretch in golf.

I would also have to pay respect to Sand Hills as well.    The par 5, 3 and 4 finish is just all world...

Then again all the greats have strong finishes!

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2020, 01:37:45 PM »
A bit of a homer nomination, but the final 3 at Olympic (Lake) are solid as well. All half par holes...

16 long par 5 (par 5 1/2)
17 short par 5 (par 4 1/2)
18 short par 4 (par 3 1/2)

... theoretically!

Steve Lapper

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2020, 09:04:47 PM »

Steve,

I can't argue that the final 3 at Merion have more strategy than Sand Hills but I don't think the final 3 at Sand Hills are clearly more beautiful and dramatic than Merion (hitting over a rock quarry 3 times is quite dramatic).

Are the final 3 greens at Merion more interesting than the final 3 at Sand Hills?

Is it as satisfying hitting the green in regulation on the final 3 at Sand Hills as it is at Merion (or in 2 on the par 5 16th)? I hit the 18th green at Merion in regulation and it very well may have been the most satisfied I've ever been on a golf course. The difficulty of the final 3 at Merion and the feeling of accomplishment of playing the shots demanded of you cannot be overlooked.

Eric,

You proved my thesis for me. Playing over the same quarry three times is nice, but hardly even in the league drama and sheer scale and beauty of Sand Hills. Each blowout bunker there is unique and always evolving. The tee shot on 16, the dunes and surrounds of 17 and the mammoth blowout bunker on 18 rival anything found in Ardmore.

For difficulty, Merion wins hands down. You are an excellent and fine golfer and I can handily understand why and how you feel reaching the 18th at Merion. I've done it a few times but with far less precision and grace as I'm sure you did. As for the "feeling of accomplishment playing the shots demanded," I'd call it a tie. Finding the postage stamp size of 17s green, especially in the normal windy conditions is exhilarating. Finding 16's in two, or even three is equally worthy, and biting off some part of 18's blowout off the tee is no less fulfilling. It's Mullen over Merion all day for us mere mortals.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

mike_malone

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2020, 12:04:13 AM »
Having just played Pine Valley today I say the last three exceed Merion. 16 is more beautiful and I prefer the multiple areas of the green. The uphill 17 is more strategic than the downhill at Merion. 18 is more challenging.
AKA Mayday

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2020, 02:39:50 AM »
I am at a loss as to what makes 18 Merion so great. Its tough yes, but great?

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 04:06:00 AM by Sean_A »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2020, 03:57:28 AM »
I am at a loss as to what makes 18 Metion so great. Its tough yes, but great?

Ciao

The iconic Hogan shot

Jeff Schley

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2020, 04:43:21 AM »
Ganton GC is very strong with a nice variety.

16- long straight par 4 (maybe 450) with the school bus bunker needing to carry off the tee (man that is big) with r/l green side bunkers to a relatively benign green.

17- 3 wood or driver par 3 (250 from the back) over a road with large bunkers guarding the green. One of the few par 3's I can recall that has a couple fairway layup options. Underrated green IMO as it has some crowning with runoff along the edges. If you hit this green off the tee congratulations.  ;D

18- dogleg left par 4 with one of the more intimidating blind tee shots. Love the lookout stand to get 15 or so feet in the air to see if the fairway is clear. Gives you a nice view. You can't pull it left as you will be blocked by trees and I learned you don't need driver as a good one will go through the fairway. Approach is once again over a road, which adds to the laid back charm. Highlights Ganton's best feature which is it's bunkering. 3-4 large and deep sod faced bunkers protect this green.

Glorious finish to the understated and vintage clubhouse. Because of it's location as out of the way up in Scarborough it doesn't get it's due certainly. If it was in near London it would be a surefire top 100 by any measure.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

jeffwarne

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2020, 09:54:14 AM »
One man's "best" is clearly another man's "toughest"
Tough is easy to build and if you really want "tough" just simply play the back tees of most modern courses on the last 3.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JESII

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2020, 10:22:26 AM »

Eric,

You proved my thesis for me. Playing over the same quarry three times is nice, but hardly even in the league drama and sheer scale and beauty of Sand Hills. Each blowout bunker there is unique and always evolving. The tee shot on 16, the dunes and surrounds of 17 and the mammoth blowout bunker on 18 rival anything found in Ardmore.

Steve,

The first few times I read this paragraph, I felt you were diminishing the repetition of tackling the same feature on three consecutive holes, but that couldn't be!?! Surely the Pacific Ocean isn't viewed through that lens at Cypress and Pebble.

I then realized you must have been talking about this specific feature, the quarry. While the quarry doesn't awe the way the dunes and open space of Mullen do, it's no slouch in the world of golf. The quarry's influence and impact on these three holes really is remarkable in the varied ways it effects play. I don't know that Merion's finish is the best but it has to be right there.

JESII

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2020, 10:23:46 AM »
I am at a loss as to what makes 18 Merion so great. Its tough yes, but great?

Ciao

Ha...what makes any hole great?

No, you cannot play it with a putter...but...

JMEvensky

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2020, 11:09:57 AM »

No, you cannot play it with a putter...but...

Nice.

What other 18th hole do you get a Hogan plaque and TEP as your gallery?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back