News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

In Every Genius — Stanley Thompson (Book), by Ian Andrew
« on: September 24, 2020, 04:55:51 PM »
I decided to begin a new topic as the previous (May 2020) got a bit off mark. Rather than re-live that, I wanted to simply applaud Ian Andrew for his thoughtful writing. Many, many years ago Desmond Muirhead scolded me for trying to write about golf architecture (courses) I had not seen in person. OK, I was 13 years old, so give me a break.

Ian certainly knows Stanley Thompson, and has spent his life finding out more. His book (self-published on Blurb) appears to be available only through Ian. So, it helps if you simply contact Ian for how to get a copy. I was lucky to get a signed version, and Ian's inscription to me was also thoughtful. Ian and I shared many good times with ASGCA events, I will always be grateful for his commitment to ASGCA and bringing education, discussion and humor to our meetings.

This book covers Thompson's four best known works — Jasper Park, Banff Springs, Royal St. George's (York) and Capilano. The fifth subject is Cape Breton Highlands, which Ian is sure to elevate based on his passion for the routing and charm of this course he first visited when he was just 13 years old.

I will not get into the weeds, only to say that the research is second to none. The conclusion that RTJ Sr. did, in fact, add the bunkering to the Devil's Cauldron Hole at Banff was a good story. As was the opposite conclusion on RTJ Sr. claiming that he "routed" Capilano in Vancouver. Ian settles this once and for all, or so it pleases me.

A good book to add to a library on golf design. And, because it is limited (by design), I would think there are not to be many of them in circulation. Thanks Ian!
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Colin Macqueen

Re: In Every Genius — Stanley Thompson (Book), by Ian Andrew
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 06:02:46 PM »
Forrest,
I have always enjoyed Ian's writings (even his Christmas poetry!) and, for me, his extinct golf architecture blog was second to none. I, time and again, pleaded with him and hoped he would distill his "blog" into an architectural thoughts and ideas book. To no avail as it happens but if he reads this you never know his conscience might be pricked and he will set to!! In reality from what he has said on this forum he had other fish to fry and I guess this Stanley Thompson book was one of them. How does on contact Ian now that he is not on a blog or this forum?
Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 07:31:03 PM »
Colin, I think the best way is via his website:  http://andrewgolf.com

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 08:28:39 PM »
 8)  In every Genius There's a Little Madness

indeed, and Ian has captured what a character Stanley Thompson was in discussing his 5 courses that changed golf.. The 162 pages of concise narrative, vintage pictures, and topo drawings & sketches are very engaging.  I read it backwards and forwards.  The follow the money/dates take-down of RTJ's claim of routing Capilano is classic. 

Played Jasper & Banff, driven by the very fine course in Vancouver, and waiting to be able to cross the border and take in St George's and Cape Breton Highlands Links to completely understand his genius...

ps
I only wish the italicized font portions hadn't been put in light grey color... my only complaint, pretty minor

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 08:59:28 PM »
It's an excellent book, if you have ever seen any of Thompson's five great courses -- and especially if you have seen all five of them   ;)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 10:18:13 PM »
Colin, I think the best way is via his website:  http://andrewgolf.com

Forest, I couldn’t find a link to the book.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Greg Hohman

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 12:45:52 AM »
This lurker misses Ian. The site has his email. I emailed him about the book.
newmonumentsgc.com

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 12:40:14 PM »
Ian informs me that only 250 were printed. Whether there are more, I am not sure. Best method is to send him an email (available on his website) and coat your words with sugar :)

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back