News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

peter_mcknight

trump bedminster routing for 2022 pga championship
« on: September 30, 2020, 02:30:16 PM »
Good morning...
Based off what I have read, both the Old and New courses will be used in composite form for the 2022 USPGA Championship.
What routing would you utilize for the tournament if you had your druthers?
From what I can tell and to prevent the most spread out layout possible, it seems as if the New front and the Old back seem to be the most contiguous layout of both courses.  I can see this as a preferred setup with no.18 as a gambling par 5 at 580 yards.

With that said, however, it does seem possible to have the Old front, New back, but that routing doesn't seem as rigorous as the New front/Old back.
Regardless, the New front/Old back will be at least 7700 yards, while the Old front/New back would be in the 7530 range.  I'd surmise both would play at a par of 71.
When you look at the aerial, it doesn't appear as if there's another collection of 18 holes that seems to make sense, yet retain the necessary challenge and doesn't go all east/west across the property.
One also gets the impression there's only three (3) potential 18th holes out there--New 9th or 18th, which mirror each other save for the position of the pond on the second shot and the Old 18th.
Any thoughts??

Michael Wolf

Re: trump bedminster routing for 2022 pga championship
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 02:51:44 PM »
Last I heard the composite will be 12 from the Old and 6 from the New. I've only played the Old once, so I'll get something wrong if I try to give you the order. And I'm not sure if the routing decisions are all final. But I can ask.

One of the players I manage, Jim Herman, worked at Bedminster as an assistant pro before he joined the Tour 12 years ago. "Hermie" has told me stories of being the guinea pig for Faz and Trump when they considering locations for adding championship tees. Jim's win at Greensboro this year means he's got Tour status through 2023, although the PGA awards spots off of separate criteria.

Since host professional exemptions were eliminated, it would be interesting how many times in past 50(?) years a player reasonably in his prime competed for a major championship over a course he worked at or had input into the design?

Nicklaus at Shoal Creek
Bob Ford at Oakmont
maybe Tom Nieporte at Winged Foot?
Crenshaw?

peter_mcknight

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 03:03:01 PM »
Thanks...much appreciated.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 03:10:23 PM »
misread a question
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:12:28 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 03:19:59 PM »
Why does the PGA of America feel that the Old as it is presently constituted wouldn't be good enough for the event?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Eric LeFante

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 03:30:39 PM »
I believe the PGA wants to use the main entrance for getting spectators to the course so holes 3, 4, 7 on Old are close to that road and it may get too congested. Also I think the 15th is too close to the pool/residences for the tournament.

I agree that the Old course on its own is better than any composite course.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 04:09:34 PM »
I am happy to derail this turd-sandwich...;-)

Would the PGA go ahead with the tourney if Trump is a convicted felon or, at least, indicted?

Oh, come on....I know you were all thinking it...!...;-)

John Crowley

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 06:27:14 PM »

Would the PGA go ahead with the tourney if Trump is a convicted felon or, at least, indicted?

In a perfect world.

peter_mcknight

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »
Thanks, Michael, for the information.  Quite helpful.
If the idea is to avoid the entrance road near the Old, then that eliminates holes 3, 4, 6 and 7.
It seems as if the Old par threes at nos. 4 and 7 are out, along with New no. 6, as they are on the fringes of the property.  That makes it a bit of a challenge to have four par threes in the rotation.

It doesn't seem possible to bypass either Old 15 or 16 and have some sort of rotation/composition.

Looking at the property, it seems as if the only possibility is to start on Old no.1.  One would suppose the nines could be reversed and start on Old no.10, but then there would be quite the walk from New no. 18 to Old no. 1.  If that's the case, then the rotation could be as follows:
Old 1, 2, 5, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 to comprise the front/first nineOld 10, 11, 12, New 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 to comprise the back/second nine
I would have thought hosting it on the Old made the best sense, just like it played for the 2017 US Women's Open.
With that, I have the composite playing as follows at maximum yardages as reported on the scorecards:
515/450/490/480/250/510/215/505/580=3995 yards par 35495/415/425/415/160/540/450/425/520=3845 yards par 367840 yards par 71

Michael Wolf

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 08:42:11 PM »
Peter - Spectator traffic flow and the entrance drive were the two answers I received when I passed along your question this afternoon.

Michael

Bill Shamleffer

Re: trump bedminster routing for 2022 pga championship New
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »

The club would just implement a Name Change.  As Stud Terkel so perfectly borrowed from Gore Vidal - the United States of Amnesia.(Change name - what prior history.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:47:39 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back