News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Re: Mike Davis leaving the USGA to design golf courses
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 02:45:07 PM »
Kicking the Distance Project down the road to his successor(ess). I was, again, inelegant. The results of the project were already announced. In March 2021 they are releasing equipment research topics.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:41:23 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 02:46:54 PM »
The USGA has seemingly been run more like a business than a governing body.
Is his partnership selection proof that he knows more about business than golf architecture?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 02:50:02 PM »
He did mention in his US Open Interview that the Distance Project results were meant to be released in March but was delayed by COVID. They are planning on releasing them in March of 2021.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 02:55:16 PM »
Everyone should pursue their dreams.

Remember when we used to debate whether setup yielded to design or trumped design?  I always suspected Mike wanted to be an architect.  But, then again, who amongst my friends doesn't?  :D

Buck Wolter

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 03:00:37 PM »
Is his partnership selection proof that he knows more about business than golf architecture?
It does feel like Ben Bernanke going to work for a Hedge Fund after leaving the Fed.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 03:12:46 PM »
Partnering up with Fazio doesn't strike me as getting into the restoration aspect of classic courses as perhaps he would have had some angle as the USGA has held championships on many classic course. So what will be Mike Davis designed golf course hallmarks? Championship courses that are 8,000 yards maybe? Teaming with Fazio gives him a head start that he wouldn't ordinarily have and be able to learn the technical aspects of GCA from building processes, as opposed to manipulating the finished products.
Never cared for his setup philosophy and hope the USGA can abandon that in the years to come.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

William_G

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 03:13:46 PM »
sure seems like he is over the hill for his relatively young age (55)
It's all about the golf!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »

The issue that no-one is mentioning here is that Fazio is 75...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 03:15:32 PM »
Should be interesting to see how the Fazio - Davis company operates? 

How many owners or clubs will be tempted to hire them with a non guaranteed, wink/wink, promise of a USGA tournament?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 03:17:42 PM »
It does feel like Ben Bernanke going to work for a Hedge Fund after leaving the Fed.

Davis made a $1.5MM at USGA so he may be taking a pay cut to pursue his dream.

Ira

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 03:18:49 PM »

Isn't he partnering with Tom Fazio II -- who I'd imagine is in his 40s?

JohnVDB

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 03:19:38 PM »

He’s going with Tom Fabio II who is Tom Fazio’s nephew (Jim’s son)

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 03:23:10 PM »
I clicked the link just to be sure.
I guess now we now why he was always front and center and never afraid to share his often destructive thoughts on course setup.
I guess I just never forgave him for the Shinny debacles...and the yearly game of plinko on the greens...
(speaking of green speeds of 14-15 leading up to the Open at Congressional come to mind-rain never let that happen)
Postponing the distance issue for 20 years has been good for redesign and by extension, architecture-guess he wants to capitailze on his inaction.

Snarkiness aside, Interesting decision and good for him.Not many have the courage or the means to an embark on an exciting second career.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:09:53 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 03:30:40 PM »
I have an image of 9 of the 18 holes all being exactly the same length, i.e. 340 yards -- but each having 14 sets of tees so that the course can be 'set up' in hundreds of different ways, with Par 3s from 70 yards to 300 yards and with more driveable 4s than you can shake a stick at. And for the other 9 holes -- 4 of them will be 675+ yard Par 5s, and the rest 510+ yard Par 4s.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:39:21 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 03:34:28 PM »

Isn't he partnering with Tom Fazio II -- who I'd imagine is in his 40s?

Yes. Just figured that out. Tommy is 52 fwiw.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 08:54:29 PM »
Tom/Mike and the rest of the lads who do this for a living know there's much more to designing a golf course than doing a stick routing.  Even a course the GCA professionals may think isn't routed in a particularly exciting way or perhaps missed capitalizing on a unique site condition can appreciate a course, bunkers and greens that drain well, keep the grass alive (minimal shade on tees in the AM to dry out the dew), are routed in a and concise manner and are fun to play. 

I wish Mr. Davis well.  I'd have a great 2nd career if I have $1.0MM or more the past few years.

Slapper: Can you afford me?

BK

Michael Wolf

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 09:31:58 PM »
FWIW Mike Davis has been part owner of a golf course for a few years now and tinkers there from time to time.

Of course, I've not read much positive about Joe Dey's decision making when it came to his home golf course at The Creek.

Michael

John Emerson

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 09:32:22 PM »
Man talk about conflicting interests!!!  Correct me if I am wrong.....USGA and Davis delay reports for whatever reason.  They’ve dodged and passed the buck and Davis knows the trend will continue.  The answer.....build bigger and longer course for the .001% pros knowing that the market is small and in demand?  This sounds like insider trading to me.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 09:42:37 PM »
Tom D. is spot on — everyone should be allowed to follow their dreams. Mike has always admitted he loved golf design as a kid. His eyes light up when he is around GCAs, and he goes out of his way to get involved with projects and topics involving GCA. On several occasions he has joined ASGCA at meetings — when he could well have sent someone else.

Bottom line: He loves golf design and he has figured out a way to get involved. Not many people have that option at their fingertips, but his hard work and hours for the USGA have led to something good for him. I am happy for him.

The snarky posts who are attacking Mr. Fazio are uncalled for. When I make references here on the Atlas to the "closed minds" and "only if _______ was involved" crowd, remember this thread because very often I get the reply, "What...who does that?" as a response.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 04:05:41 AM »
Would you hire him to design a course for you? Just asking.
atb

Steve Lapper

Re: Mike Davis leaving the USGA to design golf courses New
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2020, 06:52:20 AM »

Mike is a good guy who has long been keenly interested in golf architecture. This career move is of no surprise to those who know him, and had been practically telegraphed for sometime.

Tommy Fazio Jr. is a nice guy who will stand to gain a good deal from a professional association with Mike Davis. He's currently focused on re-working his own design on the New Course at Trump Bedminster, now that the New is being combined with the Old Course for a composite routing for the 2022 PGA Championship.

Yes, I think Joel Stewart is partly right when insinuating that this new combination will reflect a targeted marketing approach for future USGA tournaments.That said, I doubt this team will oust the Hanse/Wagner or Coore/Crenshaw from their current leadership slots. When a premier private club desires to restore their course in order to attract a USGA event, those teams are a proven, safe entity with a near perfect track record of delivering excellence to the audience in Far Hills. Only the limits of availability or price will deter those decision-makers. Lastly, while Mike might well retain considerable influence at the Golf House, he also has a good amount of personal integrity and won't likely sully himself trying to oversell a venue that hardly deserves an event.

I imagine the new Fazio-Davis pairing will fare well overseas, as well as smaller, domestic courses of decent quality where owners might pick famous names over the more experienced. It's often human nature to choose celebrity when available.

Bruce Katona,

No, I can't afford you! ;D

Jeff Warne,

Mike was not really responsible for the Shinny debacles. Yes, he was the USGA official who wore that blame and stood in front of the public bus, yet the truth lies elsewhere. Look closer (or PM me) for those truly responsible.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 11:38:27 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tim Martin

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 07:16:18 AM »
I’m interested to see what happens when Tom Fazio retires. Do Tommy and Mike Davis continue on as a separate entity or move over to Fazio Golf Design and run the show?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2020, 07:37:37 AM »
I’m interested to see what happens when Tom Fazio retires. Do Tommy and Mike Davis continue on as a separate entity or move over to Fazio Golf Design and run the show?

Faz Senior has already all but retired. His son, Logan runs the show there now.

I believe there isn't enough affinity between the Sr. and Jr. that would even remotely suggest  he and Mike D. coming over the transom. Two separate entities, with shared surname, for a long time IMO.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 09:20:29 AM »

Yes, I think Joel Stewart is partly right when insinuating that this new combination will reflect a targeted marketing approach for future USGA tournaments.That said, I doubt this team will oust the Hanse/Wagner or Coore/Crenshaw from their current leadership slots.

No, but when Bill & Ben retire from that work, guys like Nuzzo and Forrest R are now less likely to have a shot at it because of the new guy with the inside track.  And the same goes for new projects.

I do believe that everyone should pursue their dreams, but at the same time, it's sad that the market only has room for a few winners, and it is so skewed in favor of name recognition.  It took me twenty years of work to become an overnight success!

The real hypocrisy is that most of the guys who look sideways at golf pros-turned-architects all have their own route plotted out, and none of their plans involve actually working for someone else to learn the ropes. It's more like "I will get us work, and you will give me partial credit and have to listen to some of my ideas while I learn."  Which is exactly the same path as the pros who are criticized for doing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back