GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

An open letter to Bryson DeChambeau

<< < (2/17) > >>

Niall C:
I recognise the way DeChambeu is using science to help his cause in a way perhaps no one else has done, however is his basic strategy not just the same as Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods et al which is to smash it as far as possible and close to the hole and go from there ? What's the difference other than he looks more ungainly doing it ?

If I was writing an open letter to DeChambeu I'd congratulate him on his victory and commend him on his play but I'd ask that he be a good bit quicker doing it.

Niall

A.G._Crockett:
It is perhaps worth noting that DeChambeau did not lead the field in driving distance in any of the four rounds, and was 7th overall, less than a yard ahead of Paul Casey.  He does lead the Tour in driving distance for the year, but it seems, at least to me, a bit simplistic to attribute his win at Winged Foot to distance alone.

It is also worth noting that the win at the Open gave him a trifecta shared only with Nicklaus and Woods; the US Am, the NCAA individual, and now this.  In other words, he has been winning at the highest level available to him before this, and to think that he only won at Winged Foot because of what he has done to his body and his swing speed in the last year seems, again, simplistic.

Unlike others that have posted so far, I don't like DeChambeau at all.  I DO, however, find him, as well as his approach, fascinating; not just the added bulk and distance, but the equipment as well.  I suspect that he is the first Tour pro EVER to have more loft on his putter than on his driver, and the single length irons have almost gotten lost in the shuffle.

But I'm not sure that what he is doing translates to other golfers very well, or that he can physically sustain this for an extended period.  I am perfectly willing to be wrong, but I have trouble imagining his approach to his body being the wave of the future.  We already know that, all other things equal, stronger is better, and I think the number of Tour pros who do NOT work out diligently has been in decline for years now.  But doing what DeChambeau does?  I just can't see it.

William_G:

--- Quote from: Niall C on September 22, 2020, 05:30:47 AM ---I recognise the way DeChambeu is using science to help his cause in a way perhaps no one else has done, however is his basic strategy not just the same as Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods et al which is to smash it as far as possible and close to the hole and go from there ? What's the difference other than he looks more ungainly doing it ?

If I was writing an open letter to DeChambeu I'd congratulate him on his victory and commend him on his play but I'd ask that he be a good bit quicker doing it.

Niall

--- End quote ---
yes

Dan_Callahan:
I'm not a big Bryson fan either, but I have a ton of respect for risk-takers (probably because I am not one). The things he has done ... the single-length irons, the unorthodox swing, the rigid putting stroke, the massive weight gain ... had the potential to make him look like an idiot. But he stuck to his convictions, ignored the doubters, and it paid off. So, good for him. He absolutely earned that win.

jeffwarne:

--- Quote from: Dan_Callahan on September 22, 2020, 09:40:25 AM ---I'm not a big Bryson fan either, but I have a ton of respect for risk-takers (probably because I am not one). The things he has done ... the single-length irons, the unorthodox swing, the rigid putting stroke, the massive weight gain ... had the potential to make him look like an idiot. But he stuck to his convictions, ignored the doubters, and it paid off. So, good for him. He absolutely earned that win.

--- End quote ---

+1
and as others have mentioned, he's just playing the game so many others already play.
he didn't invent it, but he only recently transformed himself into someone who could join the DJ, Bubba, JT,Rory,Tiger (formerly), Daly game.
I used to say Daly had the perfect approach 25 years ago.
Go all out, either contend with a chance to win..
or weekends off...

In a way, it's nice that the blue coats are noticing, but it's been apparent for many, many years how out of scale the game has gotten, but golf influencers, enthusiasts and policy makers all had a dirty little secret that they themselves were benefitting from the equipment as they aged(and didn't notice or didn't care), and buried their heads deeper into the sand every year as the data continued to creep up especially for elite players who were also evolving their bodies and techniques to further utilize the effects of modern tech.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version