News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Rudovsky

If you want to throw a wrinkle into the question...what do you do with Montclair Golf Club in NJ which has 36 holes that it describes as 4 nines (not two 18's)?  I am not asking this to be "cute" but rather to suggest a solution to the 27 holes facility question.  How about saying that Montclair has two 18's with one being the routing the USGA used for the biggest event Montclair GC ever hosted...the 1985 US Amateur which used nines 2 and 4 (and calling the other 18 holer nines 1 and 3...which was the second 18 used for qualifying).  I should note that the 1973 US Women's Am was played on nines 3 and 4, but the US Am history should override that).

Extending that to 27 hole facilities...I would suggest that a facility has one 18 and one 9 (instead of 3 nines) when it is managed that way (e.g. Morfontaine, St George's Hill, and The Country Club) and/or when its 18 holes course is regularly posted as a Top 100 (World or in country/region such as USA, GB&I, or Continental Europe).  That way all 27 holes are eligible for a top 100 list...either 18 or 9.

JJShanley

I didn't play it on my visit in August 2019, but the Huntingdon Valley Centennial 9 looked interesting.

Tony_Muldoon

Prince's has 27 and The Himalaya's are usually considered the 3rd 9.

Haven't played since the recent revisions but the Par 3 7th has always been a favourite.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

Prince's has 27 and The Himalaya's are usually considered the 3rd 9.

Haven't played since the recent revisions but the Par 3 7th has always been a favourite.

But the club tries to pawn the place off as three 9s. That said, to back it up they now offer 9 hole rates. I still consider Princes as 18 and 9 because any real event there is played over the same 18, or at least that used to be the case. It may all be for nought because I don't reckon the new Hims is all that. It feels like links in Florida with all that water about.

I wouldn't consider SGH's Green 9 as a true 9 holer. It spends too much time in the rotation as part of the main 18.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:54:55 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back