News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pratt

Mike DeVries and Walnut Hills
« on: April 18, 2003, 08:17:35 AM »
Mike, I drive by Walnut Hills in East Lansing, MI every day and see from a distance the work you're doing on the bunkers. Can you tell us mid-Michigan fans of your work what you're up to at Walnut? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

David Wigler

Re: Mike DeVries and Walnut Hills
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 08:20:47 AM »
Mike,

Please take lots of before and after pictures.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 04:54:29 PM »
Peter,

I have been consulting at the club for a few years now.  We started out with a Long Range plan for the club and are using that as a basis for improvements / corrections / renovation / restoration of the course.  The intent of the plan is to retain the old country club feel of the course and instill those virtues of traditional golf into any work on the course.  It is a good property, with plenty of challenge for the better club players (3 of the par 3's are over 200 yards, for example), and only suffers from a lack of water movement during big storms -- that is not an easy, nor inexpensive, fix.

Initially, the mowing patterns of the course were altered to reflect the traditional character of the design.  This is primarily an expansion of the putting surfaces to their original margins and widening the fairways back out to provide for more strategy (tree planting encroachment, plus the LPGA Oldsmobile Classic was held there throughout the 90's and the fairways were shrunk considerably by the governing body for the tournament).  We are in the midst of redoing the bunkers on the course -- restoring a heavier lip and traditional look while also bringing some bunkers back that were filled in or removing some superfluous ones that had been added.  Currently, we are anxiously anticipating spring really arriving so we can return to finish them up prior to the big rush of summer play.

Thanks for the inquiry!

Mike

Peter Pratt

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 05:43:25 AM »
Thanks, Mike! I hope our paths cross sometime while you're in Lansing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back