News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re: GCA's own Mike Young-The Fields
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2020, 05:27:57 PM »
I too enjoyed my (two) days of play at The Fields back at the 2014 Dixie Cup...Mike was a gracious host and the course layout and set-up were top notch! Many of the comments listed above totally nail the vibe of the place, and Mike and Ashley have the turf conditions dialed in to a fantastic level.

I have the Fired Egg podcast queued up and ready to listen to over the next few days. I look forward to Mike's candid conversation and feedback.

One last thing...make sure to ask Mike about his push cart incident (during that 2014 Dixie Cup) on the downhill hole at the extreme Northern edge of the property (is that #3, Mike?). One of those classic GCA moments!!! ;-)
Appreciate all that listened to the podcast....Evan,  that pushcart just got away from very slowly before building up speed... ;D ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 06:40:35 PM »
Two of my favorite people at the 2014 Dixie Cup

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike_Young

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 08:12:29 PM »

was it that long ago?

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2020, 09:38:12 AM »
I too enjoyed my (two) days of play at The Fields back at the 2014 Dixie Cup...Mike was a gracious host and the course layout and set-up were top notch! Many of the comments listed above totally nail the vibe of the place, and Mike and Ashley have the turf conditions dialed in to a fantastic level.

I have the Fired Egg podcast queued up and ready to listen to over the next few days. I look forward to Mike's candid conversation and feedback.

One last thing...make sure to ask Mike about his push cart incident (during that 2014 Dixie Cup) on the downhill hole at the extreme Northern edge of the property (is that #3, Mike?). One of those classic GCA moments!!! ;-)
Appreciate all that listened to the podcast....Evan,  that pushcart just got away from very slowly before building up speed... ;D ;D ;D

Yeah Mike...watching that pushcart gain speed and realizing that it had a "life of its own" down that slope was a thing of beauty...especially how you faded it perfectly down that left to right slope and having it perfectly crash into the gunch behind the green 350+ yards away. 'Twas truly a thing of beauty!  :D ;D :o
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Robert Kimball

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2020, 09:55:35 AM »
I will second Bob Crosby's assertion that Mike is a very good golf course architect.

Also, the podcast was great! Mike is funny and a great curmudgeon with straightforward views on the current state as well as the future of golf.

Let's see that pic of Cypress 16 with the gang mowers! 

Rob

Mike_Young

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
I will second Bob Crosby's assertion that Mike is a very good golf course architect.

Also, the podcast was great! Mike is funny and a great curmudgeon with straightforward views on the current state as well as the future of golf.

Let's see that pic of Cypress 16 with the gang mowers! 

Rob
Thanks for listening Rob.  I'm looking for the photo but I don't know how to file these photos on mac and I have about 26000 to go thru...I'll find it...

Lou_Duran

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 02:16:33 PM »

A bit disappointed not to see my picture here.  Great photography! 

Mike at his funniest is with his former sidekick Charlie Rymer.  I don't know how their design partnership worked out, but as a comedy team, good enough to go on the road.  Mature audiences only.

Mike_Young

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2020, 02:21:13 PM »

A bit disappointed not to see my picture here.  Great photography! 

Mike at his funniest is with his former sidekick Charlie Rymer.  I don't know how their design partnership worked out, but as a comedy team, good enough to go on the road.  Mature audiences only.
Charlie hasn't gone anywhere...he's still hanging out...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2020, 06:45:14 PM »
Will Bardwell stopped in to see Mike's place, in 2019. He had this to say:

https://www.lyingfour.com/conversations-blog/2019/6/3/the-fields

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ben Sims

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2023, 05:15:18 PM »
My brother and I went down to LaGrange today and had a match. He’s a short hitting new golfer with an estimated 28 handicap. He lost one ball, beat me 1UP, and had a blast. Ashley is working his ass off shoring some things up as grass starts growing again. The course was playing nicely and the ball was running a bit, even with all the hard rains they’ve had lately.

I’m obviously not the first to say, but this is a place to come check out if you have the opportunity.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back