News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Bacsanyi

Re: Zac Blair/Buck Club Near Aiken, SC
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2020, 09:00:33 PM »
I'm holding out for the DeChambeau National project before I get excited. 9,000 yards at sea level with 1100 bunkers.

But for real though: I hope ZB's vision becomes a reality. A question: Is this going to be called the Buck Club? or is it the Tree Farm? I hope to god it's not the Tree Farm at the Buck Club. I hate overly complicated names and I break out in hives when I hear stuff like the "Greg Mastriona Courses at Hyland Hills."
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

jeffwarne

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2020, 09:07:17 PM »

Why do we then fail to question the doubters who spew venom when a billionaire hires Rees Jones?  Who exactly chooses our heroes now?

I know one who did more than OK, though far from ever a billionaire
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 09:11:36 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2020, 09:17:45 PM »
There is good reason for the man who first saw the Emperor wore no clothes to sport the darkest shades.

jeffwarne

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2020, 09:29:31 PM »
There is good reason for the man who first saw the Emperor wore no clothes to sport the darkest shades.

;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 09:08:31 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2020, 09:15:15 AM »
Bump.
Happy Holidays  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 03:38:14 PM by jeffwarne »

Adam G

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2021, 08:28:27 PM »

Paul Carey

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2021, 08:40:02 PM »
That’s great for Kye Goalby.  One of the (many) good guys in this business.

JR Potts

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2021, 10:07:18 PM »
https://thefriedegg.com/zac-blair-the-buck-club-hires-tom-doak-kye-goalby-to-design-the-tree-farm/

Doak did the routing, Goalby will build it.

A replica course with homesites and a faux Buck Club. 

Didn't see that coming in 2021.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:43:50 PM by JR Potts »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2021, 10:21:23 PM »
That’s great for Kye Goalby.  One of the (many) good guys in this business.

I’ll second that emotion. Great news for a good man.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tom_Doak

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2021, 10:58:06 PM »
An engineered replica course with homesites and a faux Buck Club.

Didn't see that coming.

But it's 2021, didn't see a lot of this coming.

You mean the two most talked-about projects in the business?  Why not?  It's fun to make people's heads explode.

Besides, Zac's deal makes up for the fact that I couldn't really ask to get paid for a routing for Lido.   ;)

Seriously, though, I have always thought that I would enjoy working on routings in my spare time [and especially if I get paid for them], or when I am semi-retired.  It is all the site visits clients expect of me when I commit to a new project that take their toll on my body, and limit my workload.

This fit perfectly for me, because there is no long term commitment.  I had the time to take it on now, and I don't have to worry about whether it will overlap too much with Te Arai or wherever.  And I don't have to feel guilty about letting it go after this, because Zac wants to be the one making decisions about building golf holes anyway, and he's enlisted good help for that.  Maybe I'll wind up being a little involved in that part, if I have time when they get to it.

Zac Blair

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2021, 11:26:17 PM »
An engineered replica course with homesites and a faux Buck Club.

Didn't see that coming.

But it's 2021, didn't see a lot of this coming.

You mean the two most talked-about projects in the business?  Why not?  It's fun to make people's heads explode.

Besides, Zac's deal makes up for the fact that I couldn't really ask to get paid for a routing for Lido.   ;)

Seriously, though, I have always thought that I would enjoy working on routings in my spare time [and especially if I get paid for them], or when I am semi-retired.  It is all the site visits clients expect of me when I commit to a new project that take their toll on my body, and limit my workload.

This fit perfectly for me, because there is no long term commitment.  I had the time to take it on now, and I don't have to worry about whether it will overlap too much with Te Arai or wherever.  And I don't have to feel guilty about letting it go after this, because Zac wants to be the one making decisions about building golf holes anyway, and he's enlisted good help for that.  Maybe I'll wind up being a little involved in that part, if I have time when they get to it.

Tom brings an experience that literally covers the world and we are all very excited to have him on board!!! It has been really cool to see the process and learn some things along the way. Pumped to see it take shape - he founds some really awesome holes!

Peter Flory

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2021, 12:04:37 AM »
Zac- congrats on this step.  The undulations look pretty nice out there, so it will be cool to see how the routing fits over the land. 

Zac Blair

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2021, 12:14:19 AM »
Zac- congrats on this step.  The undulations look pretty nice out there, so it will be cool to see how the routing fits over the land.

Thanks so much! It’s very cool to have this team involved.

Peter Flory

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2021, 01:03:53 AM »
#1 looks like a blast with the huge bank on the fairway.  And from the alt tee after the bye hole, it's almost like a reverse version of 14 at Mammoth. 

The tee shots over the hills on 2 and 5 look exciting.  5 seems especially like one that Tom would have seen.

The approach to the horizon green on 13 and then downhill tee shot on 14 seem like a definite highlight on the back. 

I'm convinced that this is going to turn out great. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2021, 04:56:56 AM »
#1 looks like a blast with the huge bank on the fairway.  And from the alt tee after the bye hole, it's almost like a reverse version of 14 at Mammoth. 

The tee shots over the hills on 2 and 5 look exciting.  5 seems especially like one that Tom would have seen.

The approach to the horizon green on 13 and then downhill tee shot on 14 seem like a definite highlight on the back. 

I'm convinced that this is going to turn out great.

Peter,

Are you seeing this from the routing posted in The Fried Egg interview, or other?

https://thefriedegg.com/zac-blair-the-buck-club-hires-tom-doak-kye-goalby-to-design-the-tree-farm/

Zac/Tom,

Is there a physical address for the property? I am curious to its location in Aiken, SC and in relation to Palmetto GC and Aiken GC.

In addition, Mike Whitaker does not post here often these days, but he is a great resource for all things South Carolina golf. I played with him right before Thanksgiving at Furman University GC, and one day with Whit on a golf course in South Carolina is a really fun day.

I dare say that Zac is "Pulling a Crump" in that his real expertise may be getting all these "unique golf people" to work together on his project - https://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/thomas-macwood-george-arthur-crump-portrait-of-a-legend/
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Adam G

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2021, 08:53:50 AM »

Tom brings an experience that literally covers the world and we are all very excited to have him on board!!! It has been really cool to see the process and learn some things along the way. Pumped to see it take shape - he founds some really awesome holes!

Any way you could post a larger topo map with a description of the land, the original routings, and Tom's new routing and describe what Tom changed and saw, "Getting to 18" style? Would be really interesting to see all the iterations and scratch my routing itch before Tom writes Volume 2 :)

Zac Blair

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2021, 09:26:41 AM »

Zac/Tom,

Is there a physical address for the property? I am curious to its location in Aiken, SC and in relation to Palmetto GC and Aiken GC.

In addition, Mike Whitaker does not post here often these days, but he is a great resource for all things South Carolina golf. I played with him right before Thanksgiving at Furman University GC, and one day with Whit on a golf course in South Carolina is a really fun day.

I dare say that Zac is "Pulling a Crump" in that his real expertise may be getting all these "unique golf people" to work together on his project - https://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/thomas-macwood-george-arthur-crump-portrait-of-a-legend/

the property is about 26 minutes door to door from palmetto.
Similar to Crump I did seek out the help of one the best architects of this generation to help with the routing (hopefully Tom will stick around for a bit more help once we begin).

Im also very happy with the team and how its shaping up regarding the build. Kye has a lot of experience working on some of the best courses around the world (many of which he was working with Tom). I believe he is going to put together a great group of people to bring this routing/vision to life.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2021, 10:06:56 AM »
Zac you are a wise young man, congrats and best of luck moving forward!

Matt MacIver

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2021, 11:09:17 AM »
Zac - congrats on making a great stride on what you’ve been working towards for a long time. A few questions if you please?

I see one set of tees on the routing - is this purposeful or will a few others come about throughout the process?

How “hard” do you want this course to be?  Playable for all or just tour / low HC friends?  I’m running low on golf balls over here...

Assume the clubhouse goes in the middle of the property near #1 and 10?  Any driving range / short game?

Looking forward to its evolution.

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2021, 11:12:26 AM »
Congrats Zac and team.  Have fun with the build from here...super jealous.

Buck Wolter

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tom_Doak

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2021, 11:26:45 AM »

I see one set of tees on the routing - is this purposeful or will a few others come about throughout the process?

I generally don't think much about all the forward tee locations at such an early stage, other than making sure there aren't any holes where there is no good location for one, because of a deep valley between the tee and the landing area.  That's actually a factor on the first hole on this plan, but my recommendation is to fill across the valley, creating a pond to the left for the 19th hole and softening the abrupt bank right at the landing area [while leaving a deep nasty bunker on the inside of the dogleg].

There are a couple of holes up top [12 and 17-18] where I envisioned making major cuts to add interest to the fairway [or visibility and playability in the case of the 12th].

Zac Blair

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
Zac - congrats on making a great stride on what you’ve been working towards for a long time. A few questions if you please?

How “hard” do you want this course to be?  Playable for all or just tour / low HC friends?  I’m running low on golf balls over here...

Assume the clubhouse goes in the middle of the property near #1 and 10?  Any driving range / short game?

I think Tom, Kye and the team will get all the tee locations sorted out in the next few visits down to the site. Ive never built a course so im not sure exactly when those decisions get set in stone, I would assume some decisions are made in the field as well (maybe you shift a tee or green site to make the hole or transition better etc.)

I have also envisioned a lot of tees where you can share the same box ... trying to keep different classes of players together as much as it makes sense. I love going to play with different handicaps but its such a drag when im continually going back to a different world and I never get to see them. this course definitely has everyone in mind. The goal is to make a bunch of great holes where everyone can have fun (im not too concerned about the TOUR players shooting low scores .. if they play good great). I think Tom has laid out a very exciting course with a very fun finish (short par 3 17th with a drivable 18 with the valley to the left ... I've always like the idea of the drivable finisher so It was awesome that Tom was able to make this work).

our team likes the idea of having the clubhouse/back porch right up close to the 18th green ... shot provide a great view and some cool spectating.

range plans are still TBD I think we can have some sort of cypress style warm up range near the first tee and possibly a more traditional practice range somewhere a little more remote (ive personally always loved the idea of the remote range so you can get away and work on your game ... but some warm up area next to the action is obviously more convenient)

Ive also always envisioned a big putting green near 1/18/Bar to get everyone hanging out close to the action and provide a place in the evenings to have some fun!

PCCraig

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2021, 11:57:20 AM »
Congrats to Zac...glad his course is getting off the ground.

I'm also glad that Zac is using someone like Mr. Goalby for the construction. His original work nearby at Pinehurst #3 is spectacular. I know there is a lot more work to do, but looking forward to seeing what you guys put in the ground.
H.P.S.

Scott Senior

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2021, 12:05:51 PM »

I think Tom, Kye and the team will get all the tee locations sorted out in the next few visits down to the site. Ive never built a course so im not sure exactly when those decisions get set in stone, I would assume some decisions are made in the field as well (maybe you shift a tee or green site to make the hole or transition better etc.)

I have also envisioned a lot of tees where you can share the same box ... trying to keep different classes of players together as much as it makes sense. I love going to play with different handicaps but its such a drag when im continually going back to a different world and I never get to see them. this course definitely has everyone in mind. The goal is to make a bunch of great holes where everyone can have fun (im not too concerned about the TOUR players shooting low scores .. if they play good great). I think Tom has laid out a very exciting course with a very fun finish (short par 3 17th with a drivable 18 with the valley to the left ... I've always like the idea of the drivable finisher so It was awesome that Tom was able to make this work).

our team likes the idea of having the clubhouse/back porch right up close to the 18th green ... shot provide a great view and some cool spectating.

range plans are still TBD I think we can have some sort of cypress style warm up range near the first tee and possibly a more traditional practice range somewhere a little more remote (ive personally always loved the idea of the remote range so you can get away and work on your game ... but some warm up area next to the action is obviously more convenient)

Ive also always envisioned a big putting green near 1/18/Bar to get everyone hanging out close to the action and provide a place in the evenings to have some fun!

Zac,

How about the 18th green and practice green share similar space (ie. Garden City Men's Club). Also, always a good feel when the practice green is also the first tee....
I realize these aren't ground breaking ideas but might fit into your vision.

Best of luck!!
Scott 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back